Quantcast

How many of you run a 29er?

Do you have a 29er

• Total voters

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Look at it however you want... I like to go fast. Regardless of skill level you can go faster on a 29er through the rocks.

For those that don't care about speed, go buy a 26 rigid single speed. You'll have my respect as I fly past you in the rock garden.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I couldn't wait for the Anthem. Plus, I'm sure it would be out of my budget range. I just picked this one up today.

How do you like it?

I'm also seriously looking at complete bikes now. That way I can sell my 26 as a complete bike and recover some of the cash. I cant decide if I want the giant anthem or the spec epic. I've owned giants before and they were great, but never owned a specialized.

I may wait to see what everyone comes out with for 2011 in a month or 2. Specialized has a new model called the camber... giant of course will have the anthem... wonder what trek will come out with.

I'd love to go more high end... niner or maybe titus, but just cant justify it.

Last edited:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Specialized will have a more affordable FS 29er in 2011 called the Camber - it'll come in a couple different levels. No brain shock or any of that fancy pants stuff, but good solid reliable shock and fork combo.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Specialized will have a more affordable FS 29er in 2011 called the Camber - it'll come in a couple different levels. No brain shock or any of that fancy pants stuff, but good solid reliable shock and fork combo.
Yeah shop was trying to sell me one out of their 2011 catalog for $2300... well spec'd for the price. The epics come in at like $2700... hard to say no to that... I've always been a fan of that brain doo-dad.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I think the 2011 stumpy 29er is supposed to retail for around $2300 for the one without the brain.
My first ride was ok. I needed to do some fine tuning on the bike. I couldn't make it up anything steep. Kept spinning out. Figured out that the shop had way too much damn air pressure in the tires. I lowered them to about 35 and it climbed way better. Smoothed out the ride too.
The bike has a long stem on it. 100 mm. I hate long stems. THey handle crappy. 27inch wide bars were ok, but not to my liking.
I just put my gravity dropper on the bike tonight, put on some 29.5" wide bars on it, threw on a 70 mm stem and called it good. I'll be riding it tomorrow, so we'll see if it's better. I'm sure it will be.
The downhill sections on the 29er were great. That thing rolled fast as hell. I got myself in a couple of sketchy sections trying to hang with some of my DH buddies. I held on to them without trying too hard. Momentum was incredible. Just a bit weird with the long stem.
It's funny how people complain about not being able to throw a 29er around. You don't have to. They roll over things better. It's pretty easy to do if you aren't a friggin sissy too.
I'll give another ride report after tomorrow's ride.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA

Got to ride this around a parking lot yesterday. Should be able to test drive it on the trail soon. Seems like a pretty good setup and definitely rides differently than the 26s I'm used to.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut

Got to ride this around a parking lot yesterday. Should be able to test drive it on the trail soon. Seems like a pretty good setup and definitely rides differently than the 26s I'm used to.

That Sensor looks nice - they seem to be rare birds for some reason.

If you do test ride it, please start a thread about that bike in the 29er forum.

Thanks.:thumb: