Quantcast

How many of you would rock these pedals

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
Thinking of having a small run made. Will probably definitely make some for myself. CNC'd Aluminum bodies, TI spindles, Bushings, Polished Carbon Inlays.

Thoughts and comments welcome, as long as they're constructive.

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
Definitely replaceable pins. Colors could be anything. Would probably offer them in a few base anodized colors. Purple, Red, Blue, Black, Silver, Gold, Green.

Pricing will be a bit tough depending on which manufacturing route I'd take, they will either be cast then CNC'd (inexpensive, not as strong), or just straight up CNC'd (pricey, very strong).

Just seeing if it would be even worth pursuing.

They will be very lightweight for you weight weenies...myself included.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
skip the carbon unless it is functional. and it is all about pins and weight, go magnesium if possible.

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
what makes your design better than other pedals out there?
That's a good question, but they're pedals, they are no different than anyone elses. Other than grip, weight, cost, and style, what varies between platform pedals? Why would you buy a set of CNC'd dangerboy pedals over a set of cast cheap shimano pedals? It's not like you're going to come up with anything new and revolutionary in the pedal department. Or any bike component area.

I'm just looking to make a set for myself and a friend, but was looking to see if it would make sense to have a few extras made if anyone was interested in the style and design. As for pricing the parts will go out for quoting tomorrow.:cheers:

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
Sorry Fellas, I've been slacking big time. This working full time is for suckers, I've been useless in my own design endevors all week. Stay tuned though. I need to do some slight revisions this weekend due to some inputs and I'll get on it the start of next week.

Popoff

Chimp
Jul 16, 2007
have you looked into the special machining considerations with titanium? any sharp inside corners (root of the threads, having thread relief's, steps in shaft size) will haunt you with titanium, it's very sensitive to stress risers.

what type of bearing will you use? how about sealing?

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
That's a good question, but they're pedals, they are no different than anyone elses. Other than grip, weight, cost, and style, what varies between platform pedals? Why would you buy a set of CNC'd dangerboy pedals over a set of cast cheap shimano pedals? It's not like you're going to come up with anything new and revolutionary in the pedal department. Or any bike component area.

I'm just looking to make a set for myself and a friend, but was looking to see if it would make sense to have a few extras made if anyone was interested in the style and design. As for pricing the parts will go out for quoting tomorrow.:cheers:
i know pedal models aren't that different one from the other, but each one features different characteristics that make them more atractive to one or another person.
Atomlab will tell you that their bushing system is the best, and that their pedals are user serviceable... the bushings aren't as awesome as they should,but get the job done; the low profile, good weight and awesome grip make some people want to buy them.
the wellgo mg1 don't look good, and don't last like other pedals, but they are super light and cheap.
the crank bros 50/50 aren't light, and don't perform as well as other pedals, but there is still people out there wanting them beacause they are fashion.
what i was trying to achive with my previous post was that you could tell us what makes your pedals highlight from the rest. i know ti axles and carbon inlays are part of your design, but please elaborate a little bit more about the benefits you want to achieve with them, like the expected weight for the set of pedals, improved durability over other models, and so on.
Thank you :)

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
How is that revolutionary? It's a platform for your foot coupled to a bearing. The same thing all platform pedals are...That's the exact same thing as any other platform pedal with a different shape. Honestly I don't think that's a better design seeing as how you have all the load canti- levered off one bearing and not evenly distributed. I'd never run those pedals.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
How is that revolutionary? It's a platform for your foot coupled to a bearing. The same thing all platform pedals are...That's the exact same thing as any other platform pedal with a different shape. Honestly I don't think that's a better design seeing as how you have all the load canti- levered off one bearing and not evenly distributed. I'd never run those pedals.
Well, I'd say you just defined a platform pedal. Good job. As you've defined it, no, there's not a lot of room for change. But that's definatly very different than most platform pedals, in terms of how the body and bearings are aranged.

That said, I don't really like them either, but not for the reasons you stated. You're wrong about the single bearing. If you look closer, there's a second bearing on the other side of the crank arm. That's where the problem is- you need to drill out your crank arm to use them, or use their propritary crank. No thanks.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I want flat pedals to be both parallelogram and concave, so no I would not buy those.

However, I don't really agree with some people here who think you need revolutionary ideas to have a viable product. There are plenty of small companies churning out solid versions of proven designs, and there is always room for more. The idea is only the first step.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I want flat pedals to be both parallelogram and concave, so no I would not buy those.

However, I don't really agree with some people here who think you need revolutionary ideas to have a viable product. There are plenty of small companies churning out solid versions of proven designs, and there is always room for more. The idea is only the first step.
I don't think anyone said that. If that was at least partially directed at me, I was just making a point that revolutionare pedal designs are out there. Like I said, I'm not even that impressed with the pedal I posted.

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT

What is the difference between having concave pedals and setting the pin heights so the pins on the perimeter are higher than the at the center?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
What is the difference between having concave pedals and setting the pin heights so the pins on the perimeter are higher than the at the center?
Your feet rest on the pedal surface, not on the tips of the pins. Different pin heights just mean the pins dig into your shoes more (especially with sticky rubber, soft skate shoes, etc.). Concave pedals just feel more secure to me, and it's easier to feel where your feet are in relation to the spindle, etc. Ride one of each and you should be able to see what I mean.

wadly_1001

Chimp
Dec 19, 2007
Try to use large bearings, but keeping the pedal thin? Offer a hollow ti spindle? A Mg alloy would be good? Grip tape instead of the carbon inlay would be nice. I live concave as well!

Pls make them lighter than a DMR v12 ti which is 354g! I'll get one from you if you make them lighter!