Quantcast

How much can bottom out bumpers on shock compress??

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Just some random thinking today....

Even though the bumper can compress a fair bit, I don't see it becoming thinner than say, 1/4". If we take a popular frame like the Turner DHR with 8.5" of travel, the 3.0 stroke shock with a fully compressed bumper really reduces the effective stroke to roughly 2.75. That means the DHR would only get a REAL 7.8" of rear travel at full bottom out. To me, that's a fairly big difference (the V10 loses closer to a full inch)

I know you're not supposed to be bottoming out everywhere but at the same time, frame builders are advertising a certain amount of travel that you're never going to physically get... right?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Pull a bumper off and stack about 1200 - 1500 lbs on it....see how thin it gets. That is how much force the bumper can see..

They do get pretty thin, especially the ones on DHXs as they are soft and thin to begin with. The bumpers off of a fifth were bigger and stiffer...would be a great cheap upgrade for a linear rate frame if yo could find one.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
back before i had any clue what i was doing my friends and i used to cut our bumpers down just for that reason, to get 'more travel' ahah.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
marketing slogan: we made the frame flexy so you dont need bottom out bumpers to save weight.

what if the bumper compresses to 2mm, with a 3:1 leverage ratio this would mean you miss out on 6 mm of travel. That is 3% of a 200mm susp stroke. You could argue if that is so bad.

Ever checked if your susp stroke is the same as the manufacturers claimed it would be?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
some frames dont need bumpers: the sx trail comes to mind. and in that case, you are getting the full 17 cm.
I know, I know, I'm probably just being silly, but I could just swear that this crop of a stock photo from Specialized has a bumper in it.

Maybe someone at the marketing department just photoshopped it in.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
what if the bumper compresses to 2mm, with a 3:1 leverage ratio this would mean you miss out on 6 mm of travel. That is 3% of a 200mm susp stroke. You could argue if that is so bad
2mm is pretty thin... especially since the bumper has no where to expand since it's sitting in the middle of a retainer coller and coil. Although I think I'm being too picky/critical so don't mind me.

djamgils said:
Ever checked if your susp stroke is the same as the manufacturers claimed it would be?
Ah yes! Good point! My old Fox RC was exactly 2.75, my Romic is a full 3.0 and when I had a Stratos El Jefe, it was 2.75... then you would add on the retainer collar, bumper, you were down to 2.5 of useable stroke (very similar to Avy).

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
2mm is pretty thin... especially since the bumper has no where to expand since it's sitting in the middle of a retainer coller and coil. Although I think I'm being too picky/critical so don't mind me.
I forgot about that. Never looked at it closely but I guess it isn't massive rubber but something with air inside it (porous foam or how do you call it)
But is it really necessary to use a bottom out bumper. How much reduction in force will it realise.
What is better, to slow down the piston on damping and spring or on a reduced stroke with a bumper.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
back before i had any clue what i was doing my friends and i used to cut our bumpers down just for that reason, to get 'more travel' ahah.
the RS rear shock on the old DHi had a big plastic piece under the bumper which limited travel! that got shaved down back in the day haha

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
I know, I know, I'm probably just being silly, but I could just swear that this crop of a stock photo from Specialized has a bumper in it.

Maybe someone at the marketing department just photoshopped it in.

ohhh, im sorry everybody, i didnt think you would all get but hurt when i said my sx frame has no bumper...the frame does not. the shock does. i thought the guy who started this thread was refering to the bumpers on frames, such as any of the vpp bikes.

every one calm down.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
the RS rear shock on the old DHi had a big plastic piece under the bumper which limited travel! that got shaved down back in the day haha
Yeah, the RS shock on the old DHis (mine was a 2001) is a 3" stroke, but with a 0.25" rigid bit of plastic behind the bumpstop. The bumpstop is also very solid, I imagine it only compresses 50% or so, meaning the real effective stroke is about 2.5".