Quantcast

How much do you crash?

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
I think we all progress to the top of our game, so to say, when it comes to pushing it, but there is a transitional period between each big leap where you're skills haven't caught up to your riding, and you have a few weeks of crashing ahead of you while you catch up.
Or in my case, many many months of crashing. I don't feel so bad about it, that's how I learned to ski too.
I just wished I healed faster ;)

Eggzoi

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Australia
Not very much at all, I usually ride alone and can't afford upper body armor, also most trails I ride usually have the nice roll down the hill consequence of crashing. Add in the fact I'm a giant pussy and I don't push it that much hence I don't crash much.

Rye_Bread

Monkey
Mar 22, 2006
Boulder
how to you classify crash...i have accidents all the time like going into something a little too hot and low siding, but big crashes...like concussions and such...not very often, 1 a season or so...

RATM

Monkey
Aug 5, 2004
Washington DC area
When I first started riding I crashed all the time. I gave myself a 3 crash per ride limit, when I hit it would really try and slow down, and keep in control.
3 years later, hardly ever, only when I push it or get tired. Mostly when I am on a new trail as well. Finding new lines puts me on my ass quite frequently.

I crashed in every race I did at Snowshoe last year :disgust: I guess I wasn't doing enough race pace runs in practice so I didn't know my limits everywhere and then I tried to pin it in the race and just ended up stacking it :plthumbsdown: You gotta love body armour though, it saved my a$$ many times :clapping:

Crashing is part of the game and at least you know you are pushing your limits when you hit the deck. Hopefully you don't cop a beating to badly.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Not so, that jump exists only in urban legend, here's an artist's rendering of what the jump would look like, if it existed.
Looks like Paul Bunyan hucking a beaver dam to me...

It seems to me that I know my limits pretty well, and don't really feel like pushing them too hard since I have an 8-5 I have to go back to every monday.

How many of you take the bypass on certain things because you have to show up for work on monday?

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I miss crashing.

Seriously, I do. I feel like I'm getting a little bit faster every time I ride, but without the crashes, it's harder for me to feel like I'm accomplishing something. Odd complex, ehh? I think we all suffer from it at some point or another.

It seems to me that I know my limits pretty well, and don't really feel like pushing them too hard since I have an 8-5 I have to go back to every monday.

How many of you take the bypass on certain things because you have to show up for work on monday?
I don't take the bypasses. I may not go as fast as I want to in some of the nastier rock gardens. It's not so much for work, but more because I'm 37 and already have enough arthritis from my motorcross racing days :nopity: .

On a side note: I have a corporate job and you should see the way those pu$$ies look at me when I talk about DH - they think that I'm :crazy:

Push your luck (don't go to overboard) and if your boss doesn't like it when you come to work busted up you can always go fight club on his a$$ :bonk:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I don't so much mind the road rash and gnarly bruises. It's the casts and crutches that would ruin me at work.

I haven't sent myself to the ER in a while though, and am now having my doubts if I'm stepping it up enough....

...another pathetic reason - I would really hate to break my expensive @$$ D2 :D

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
On a side note: I have a corporate job and you should see the way those pu$$ies look at me when I talk about DH - they think that I'm :crazy:
Exactly. Whenever I'm injured (knock-on-wood) it makes me wonder what the hell thoese "pu$$ies" do with their time.
I'm bored as hell.

And I pretty much refuse to ever take it easy because I have to work the next day. Work is for recovery.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Ever consider this:

In high-level DH racing, you get to the top by successfully taking and surviving risks that are inherently dangerous. This is just as much mental as physical. What separates the best from the mid pack isn't so much their skill in the easy stuff, but the tight corners and sketchy drops. So to do well at the high level, it's quite necessary to take excessive risks on the most dangerous stuff. And if you do well, you get paid. Manual labor also involves spending your body away for a profit. Hmmm... is there a coincidence?

Only very, very few riders have been able to stay on the top and injury free for a long, consistent time. Crashing is an inherent part of competitive DH.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i haven't crashed in awhile, but for me, that usually means there could be one coming around the corner. knock on wood, although i've chipped leg bones by getting smacked by my pedals, i haven't broken anything in my life(i drink my milk). no stitches either, though i should have gotten them a bunch of times. i seemed to get a lot of my crashing out of the way when i was learning, as a crash every ride was very normal. i'm challenging myself a little more now and i seem to be on the verge of hitting dirt or asphalt on many occasions, but my ninja-like reflexes get me out of trouble.

maddogdh

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Highland Lakes, NJ
For me I try to go as fast as I can possiably go all the time, which has led to great satisfaction and great discomfort. 6/17/06 I was put out with a broken wrist that need sugery and clavicle at the same time, and have not been on my DHR since. 05 was a broken arm in a race that I still finished and the list goes on. I would say I expect alot out of myself and I'm confident of my ability "still" and can't wait to go rip again. I will try to find a fine line between sucsess and faliure.