how much more air in cris holm rim?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
OK, has anyone ever figed with the increase bead width how much
more air volume would the chis holm rim @ 38mm be over say
28mm of most other rims.

i got a pair now and really think it will help with pinch flats.

O also got a new fork. not running yet but close.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
yes, i cut it off. there was more flex after but i don't think any more than any other inverted fork. I am going to see how it rides, if it bugs me I will mold in a carbon arch.

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
Did you cut off the arch? I wonder if it'll be stiff enough.
Doug Bradbury rode around all last summer on a through axle Travis with the arch cut off. He claims that the arch on a through axle fork is only there because people expect to see it there, not because it is needed.

I don't think your pinch flatting days are over yet with the Kris Holm rims Alex, that is the same setup I used on the SC Metisse in 05' with an Exi and pinch flats were the order of the day. Let's just put it this way, I set that bike back up as it was intended and no more front flats with a beefy sidewall tire. I am afraid that is what you are still going to be waiting for. Let me just say, patience is a virtue:clue: and you shouldn't have to be patient a whole lot longer.

I used a torus formula one time to calculate the difference in volume between 26" and 29" tires. It came out roughly that a 2.1 700c tire has the same volume as a 2.2 26" tire. Not sure if the rim width factors in a whole lot but here you go: http://whistleralley.com/torus/torus.htm

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, I guess I just expected it to be there like you said.

Now that I think of it it's basically just as stiff as an inverted fork now.

I really want to try some 29s BCD. I wish they were more popular so I could hop on a pair and see if they were for me.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
I am really going to try and have a demo bcd 29 for next year.

People really have to see to believe or feel.

El Caballo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2004
East Bay, West Coast
<gets out the napkin>

Panaracer Rampage with 55mm casing width = 2374.6 mm2 cross section

Approximation: add an extra 10mm diameter from the 10mm extra width of the KH = 58.18mm wide on a KH = 2657.2 mm2 cross section

x2 / x1 = 1.119 = about 12% more air

The figure is probably somewhat larger because you add the 10mm as a chord, not around the circumference, and you get some air in the larger rim channel -- but that exceeds the capabilities of my napkin math. I can't imagine it would double the difference, though, so I'll guess about 15%.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
OK, has anyone ever figed with the increase bead width how much
more air volume would the chis holm rim @ 38mm be over say
28mm of most other rims.

i got a pair now and really think it will help with pinch flats.
You can measure the tire on each with using the methods I use for my site. Casing width and casing height above the rim edge. Multiply width by height and you have the relative volume.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Once the tire mfgr's use a dh type casing your pinch problems should go away. The width of the Kris Holm is right in line with the most popular dh rims Sun, Mavic, WTB, DT ect. 30.96-36 mm. Doesn't sound like the wait is going to be very long.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Once the tire mfgr's use a dh type casing your pinch problems should go away. The width of the Kris Holm is right in line with the most popular dh rims Sun, Mavic, WTB, DT ect. 30.96-36 mm. Doesn't sound like the wait is going to be very long.

a setup like slimes you can run XC sidewalls.

i ran a thorn proof road tube that i slit around the top so that it was
like a rinstrip that rapped around the bottom of my tube. its thick
rubber flapped out around the inside of my tire sidwalls and i stopped
getting flats. i really think dh sidwall 29 tires would weight too much.
i think we need just some extra rubber near the bead or a setup like
this slime tubless.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
A few years ago we tried a tire co out named Love Tires. They had us running their dh tire (which looked a lot like the old Onza tire) with dual compounds and were semi-tubeless.Their set up was very similar to Slime's. I have NOT run any of the Slime tires but you could not give me another set of Loves.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
BCD, just throwing this out there but is it possible to put the reba 29'' lowers onto a boxxer? Seems like it would be solve you having to cut the arch off your fork.

There was a guy up here who ran a 29'' front wheel on his vp-free, for a tire he used 2 comp16's riveted together.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
BCD, just throwing this out there but is it possible to put the reba 29'' lowers onto a boxxer? Seems like it would be solve you having to cut the arch off your fork.

There was a guy up here who ran a 29'' front wheel on his vp-free, for a tire he used 2 comp16's riveted together.
why has a reba to mesure? i think the leg spacing is to small.
you would have to run a QR front axle.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
one point, i don't see the number differing more that .2mm
i was just wanting an average