Quantcast

how much rise???

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I'm going to pick up a 29.5" Sunline V1 bar, but I can't decide if I want the .75" rise or the 1.5" rise. I have a 1.5" rise bar currently and like it, but would I like the low riser better.
Thoughts from those who have run both please.

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
It all comes down to your bike, BB height, your prefs, etc...

I run the .75" rise and like them. I've been migrating from 2" rise bars to lower and lower bars. Mainly because BB heights are getting lower than they were 5 years ago.

That about the only reason or advice I can offer as to why the trend is currently for lower rise bars. Back when we had 15" (or higher) BB heights, you pretty much needed 2" rise bars.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm running the .75 rise on my canfield lucky, it has a 14.1BB. Huge fan of them. Came off some 28inc 50mm rise diablos bars. Can't even begin to describe how stoked I am about the lower rise - Its at least an 800% performance increase.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
My bike has a 14.3 BB height. I think I'd like it. I race the bike and anything that could increase the turn in would be good. Considering too I am going from a 28" bar to a 29.5". This would slow down the steering some.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I think you should get the .75 man. You have enough skill to be able to rock the over the bars standover up forward approach and I think it would be a good advantage for you. Do it, and if you dont like it ill buy them off you possibly cause ive been thinking of trying them myself.
Good luck.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
I think you should get the .75 man. You have enough skill to be able to rock the over the bars standover up forward approach and I think it would be a good advantage for you. Do it, and if you dont like it ill buy them off you possibly cause ive been thinking of trying them myself.
Good luck.
do you mean something like this:

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
^ haha not quite. What im trying to say is that it does take a considerable amount of skill to be able to take that approach on gnarly sections of a track. Skill and confidence. Think back when you first started DHin and came to a pretty gnarly chute how far back you were on the bike. It makes things seem less steep, but we all know that being up front on the bike in the constant attack position is a way better approach to anything. These bars would allow him to do that a little more would they not?

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
do you mean something like this:

Kiss of death!!!!!! I bet he rode that out!!!!!

On topic. Ya, my bike has a tallish headtube and an 8" fork. I added the no-rise 45mm sunline direct mount stem a few months ago and quite like it so the .75 should make that much better. If not I'll be out the price of a bar.
Most of the sunline bars I see online are the low rise....must be for a reason.

El Diablo

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
Japan
If you are putting it on your Faith..tell me how it works out for you. I just ordered the V-one 1.5" rise and I had a hard time deciding if the .75" would have been a better choice.

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
I had the 29.5" sunlines low rise on my sunday tested for a few weeks even raced with them. The end result their TOO wide! and im pretty tall at 5'11 with fairly long arms, I think the combo of the low rise plus the really wide bars just felt weird not that comfortable. I went back to my trusty 28" funn fatboys, feel much better, but i guess its different bikes too.. theres my opinion

clayton_omer

Chimp
Dec 4, 2008
.75, the 1.5s are not as wide as the .75s. you might hate how wide they are at first but give it a week of riding and you will never go back

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
.75, the 1.5s are not as wide as the .75s. you might hate how wide they are at first but give it a week of riding and you will never go back
You can't get the 1.5" rise in the 29.5" width. If so that'll make my choice easy.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Sorry, but both rises are available in both widths....

There is no reason to go with the higher bar. You can always raise a bar with headset spacers, a different stem, or adjusting your fork stanchions. You cannot however always lower a bar that is too high.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006

There is no reason to go with the higher bar. You can always raise a bar with headset spacers, a different stem, or adjusting your fork stanchions. You cannot however always lower a bar that is too high.
Thats what I thought.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i second the low rise wide bar, just slapped a pair of gravitys on my bike at 800mm im not going to cut them until i get some serious woods time but they feel awesome...

my 8" fork puts enough rise on my front end i need to retain a bit of schralpability

bad63lac

Chimp
Dec 22, 2008
North Jersey

:cheers:

Low rise, adjust height as needed. Buy them wide and cut them to whatever feels best.