Quantcast

How much weight reduction can you actually feel?

cmktech

Chimp
Jun 15, 2006
My question is when do you start noticing a difference in the weight reduction of your bike. For example, does it have to be 3 pounds or more taken off to actually feel it or what?

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Depends where the weight comes off. The difference between a light wheelset and pair of boat anchors is pretty remarkable. A while ago I switched out a set of Rhynolites laced onto XT hubs to a set of American Classic hubs laced to Mavic 517 rims and the difference was night and day in how easy it was to accelerate with the lighter wheelset.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Wheelset, cranks, and my front end is where I notice the most if I take off a lot of weigh.

DamienC, how do you like the AC hubs? My neighbors got a pair on his 29er and the cassette body is soft enough to be made of lead...yours give you any trouble? They semi-interested me until I saw his.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
blue said:
DamienC, how do you like the AC hubs? My neighbors got a pair on his 29er and the cassette body is soft enough to be made of lead...yours give you any trouble? They semi-interested me until I saw his.
Yeah, I had some issues with the pawls and the cassette body stripping after about a year of frequent usage on fairly rocky trails. Also one end of the axle - the part that sits inside of the dropouts - basically disintegrated. Apparently this hub was recalled by American Classic but of course I only found this out after the fact. Hopefully they'll be able to just replace the axle and cassette body assembly. The hub was trouble free up until then and performed well with great engagement - before it blew up :nopity: .

splat

Nam I am
I decided to weight whinie on one of my Races bikes a couple of years ago. the one spot I felt the Most significant change was when I put on a Set of Carbon Fibre Handlebars . but that could also be because that is a Human interface point with the bike.

I'd have to say wheels & tires are where you are going to feel the biggest change.

Its funny some of the things where you feel the difference. I had a Wheel, thet I discovered the one bearing was siezed. swapped to an older heavier wheelset , and it felt 100X better.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I'd say wheels are definitely important, however I'd argue tires are more important.

When I was racing XC more often, I always went with the lightest, smoothest tires I could get away with. I have an older set of Continental Double Fighter semi-slicks which even on my pretty light XC wheel set (King hubs laced with 14/17 spokes to Mustang rims) made a noticable difference compared to a set of relatively light Tioga knobbies.

The fork can make a difference as well. A few years ago, I had a cobbled together Rock Shox fork that was sick-light. SID uppers, Judy lowers, and Englund air cartridges. It was so light it was nuts. However, it was too flexy for my tastes and switched to a '99 Super Fly (argurably the lightest fork 'Zoke ever made).

For a more drastic comparison, on my Yeti Lawwill-6, I'll swap between Michelin 2.5 Comp 16's for lift-served riding and Conti Vertical Pro 2.3's for XC riding. The weight difference is about a pound each plus the Conti's roll smoother.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I use two bikes at 24 hour races. One is five pounds heavier than the other. I use the lighter bike later in the race and I definitely feel it. Too bad the heavy bike is more fun to ride and much more responsive.

I've found the largest noticable weight difference is when I shed some pounds off my fat ass. I feel light and swift at 165. I feel fat and slow at 180. (I'm currently closer to the latter :( )

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
I Are Baboon said:
I've found the largest noticable weight difference is when I shed some pounds off my fat ass. I feel light and swift at 165. I feel fat and slow at 180. (I'm currently closer to the latter :( )
I'm right there with you except I'm 5' 7" (and old).

I just put together a hardtail XC bike a few months back and weight weenied it out somewhat. It accelerates likes a rocket and I can climb almost anything I attempt with it unlike my other bikes.

AustinM

Chimp
Feb 22, 2005
as said, wheels are the most important. A general rule is any moving weight is going to be more noticeable than weight that doesn't move.