• I'm too cool for TV.

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Changleen said:
My housemate has season 1 and I am about 1/3 of the way through it. I've been watching Desperate Housewives and Scrubs recently because my wife is into them. I must admit I do like DH.
Good stuff. Lost season 1 was better then season 2 in my opinion, but it started to get interesting again last week. Up until now in season 2 was character building, but not much action or mystery.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jimmydean said:
I have to say part of it is watching high-res downloads on my Powerbook. I pulled an episode of Lost that the wife and I missed and it looked so much better on the Mac than on the TV. That got me thinking that I may need a new TV.

CSI Miami is stunning in HD Hi ReZ... :eyepop:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Transcend said:
I have to agree. CSI Miami has way better production values then the other 2. It is like a mini movie each week, especially with the oversaturated colors they like to use.
what night is that on?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Since my plaZma is only a monitor without a HD tuner, I was so freekin' happy to discover that I could connect a HD antenna to my DirecTV HD reciever and get the over-the-air HD and digital channels.

:dancing:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Mandi's first big purchase, when she gets her job, is going to be a TV. probably in the $2000 - $3000 range. i'm trying to get her to pay off her car first, but she wants to spoil herself...like a "good job, you graduated college with an MPA, and you got your CPA certification" present.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
dfinn said:
I paid about $1300 for the Sony Wega 36" that I have now. I would probably never do that again because it's worth less than half that now, about 3 years later. I was also making alot more money back then and I didn't have a mountain bike or snowboard habit either.
Holy Crap! I just bought the Sony Wega 32" and only paid $550. The 36 was $800. You must live in a place where the cost of living is high.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
riverside73 said:
Holy Crap! I just bought the Sony Wega 32" and only paid $550. The 36 was $800. You must live in a place where the cost of living is high.
My 43" was almost $4000 5 years ago. The bottom fell out of tv prices over the last 24 months.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I paid $4500 for mine and I can get the latest and greatest one for $3000ish today.

I like it that the prices are dropping.

:)

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
riverside73 said:
You missed the part about me buying that TV 3 years ago. Unfortunately I do live in a place where the cost of living is high...BUT NOT THAT HIGH.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It doesn't matter.

I unloaded about 350 DVD's and my TV (threw that in the dumpster) before I moved from CO to NC.

I think the largest TV I would get would be a 36".

I watch TV maybe once a week.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My advice is to wait on the HD and Plasma front. Korean made Plasmas are to expensive IMO. Prices are going to come way down soon. That and as major brands start to manufacture/spec their own highend stuff and the quality will improve. I wouldn't blow the bank on a HD tuner/brain either as the standard hasn't really been set yet. Until true HD is available your basically only getting a converted analog signal in most areas. Internal tuners are crap.

I find it funny that folks break the bank on highend stuff and buy crappy cabling. That and a good system will need to be calibrated by a tech. Most crappy or not so impressive video/audio outputs are because your system wasn't calibrated or still has the high settings that most manufacturers ship them with to look good in the showroom. A properly calibrated system (after the first 100 hours of burntime only!) will last longer also. You can for the most part only make limited adjustments to your setup.

To qualify what I say, I have very little experience with consumer level stuff....

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
we have never had to buy a tv. living in an apartment, we always found one that some one was getting rid of or had hand me downs. i don't want to have to buy one, i hope ours never dies.

J

JRB

If I get a TV that is bigger than 25" in this house, I will need to remove a wall.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
There is a little equation / ratio thingy for working out the ideal size screen based on how far you are sitting away from it.

I think most people are tempted to buy too large.

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
i would spend a lot of money a hell of a lot faster on a nice computer than a tv. you can actualy do things that are cool with a computer and like edit videos and photos and use the internet and like write stuff. tv is kind of boring, movies on the other hand can be prety cool to watch every once in a while

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
my friend has this like super duper plasma hd tv and like seriously the picture is like not that much better and it has a crappy sound system so its like really kind of lame. my like 300 dollar tv works fine for me and it looks just as good.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
the last tv i bought, a 54" (thanks to ridemonkey input, but it wasnt a plasma) was around 2300 bucks... but they gave me a nice stereo as a complimentary gift....