Quantcast

How much.....

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
$100 is the figure I've heard thrown around, but I've never had it done. I wouldn't be caught DEAD paying some (less-qualified) yutz to have all the fun for me!

Don't expect any favors if you bring an online-purchased bike in there, I imagine they'll look upon you as the devil. Seriously. You may get some really nasty looks.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Aint nothing you can't do yourself with an internet purchased bike Stosh. It's not like you even need any special tools like a bottom bracket or cassette tool.

$100!??! you've got to be kidding!

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I agree with sub6.

If you don't have the tools to do the job, either buy them or ask a friend to do it for you. This way, you'll only have the beer to pay. With the money you'll save, buy some tools:
- crank-puller
- Allen keys
- Pedal wrench
- BB tool
- Chain breaker (how is it called in english?)
- Cassette tool
- Chainwhip
- etc, etc

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Spincrazy is right - they aren't going to send you a bare frame, two rims and a box of spokes, and all your d-train parts completely separate.

Chances are it'll be more or less fully assembled; you might have to put on the pedals, wheels, and front end, but I don't think you're going to have to do a "full build" which is the what the $100 refers to.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
$120 for a custom, from scratch build (pile of boxes) is what I've heard. Fork cutting, Head tube facing, BB facing and chasing, pressing in headsets are all skills left to pros and require tools I'm not willing to buy. These jobs add up individually and start making a shop build seem very appealing.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Zark
$120 for a custom, from scratch build (pile of boxes) is what I've heard. Fork cutting, Head tube facing, BB facing and chasing, pressing in headsets are all skills left to pros and require tools I'm not willing to buy. These jobs add up individually and start making a shop build seem very appealing.
Yeah, I take the fork in to be cut and the frame in for headtube and BB facing/chasing. Headsets, crown race and star nut are easy.

Most shops don't have Pros though. Equipment yes, but I wouldn't trust my lbs to do anything better than myself. I'm unlucky in the lbs department here in the city. It's mostly all consumer oriented stuff with kids doing the work.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I used to work at the local shop here and there are some really good mechanics there. Normally I don't let anyone near my bike with a wrench, but these guys are good:p

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
The only way I'd pay that ($100)for a shop to build it is if they will also give you all the necessary free tune-ups that they would give other people that bought a biek there. You WILL need to have things adjusted as cables stretch and wheels break in.
Yada Yada Yada..

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
Originally posted by -BB-
The only way I'd pay that ($100)for a shop to build it is if they will also give you all the necessary free tune-ups that they would give other people that bought a biek there. You WILL need to have things adjusted as cables stretch and wheels break in.
Yada Yada Yada..
exactly, i wouldnt ride a bike i just took out of the bo and put the wheels on, handlebars, stem and seat. alot more goes into it than just that. alot of adjusting. breaking in the wheels. cutting, facing, reaming, grease where the factory skimps. bleed the brakes. install rotors ect ect

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Obviously, if you buy a bike from the shop, most will assemble for free. However, if you take a bike to them to be built, you will get a mixed bag - any where from $50-$200 just for the build, and you'll get varying quality, depending on the attitude of the person assembling the bike. If you have a decent relationship with your LBS, I'd have no problem having them do it. bottom line - make sure who ever does the build is someone you trust, especially if you have to pay for it.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
we charge $125 for a complete build. It includes everything from chasing the BB threads to follow up tunes-ups (rechecking cable tension, torque specs, headset etc).

We've been throwing around the idea of changing the price depending on how much the customer supplies (i.e. higher labor charge the more internet parts supplied).

Remember you get what you pay for (assuming you have a professional and experienced mechanic, not a 16 year old kid who has been working at a shop for a month build you bike). There's a lot more to building a bike than just slapping on components.

I'd encourage you to try to get some lessons from your LBS while the bike is being built if you have a good relationship with them.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by -BB-
Yada Yada Yada..

What did you think of the Hollowpoint build?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Echo
You should bring it to Rochester this weekend. We'll build it :devil:
How many times have I said I'm installing cabnets with my dad this weekend.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
if the person is a prick we charge $250 (overhaul price+ fork, headset and bb chase, face and installs ) and sometimes more depending on how poorly they behave, and the level of disrespect they show.

If the person is a regular customer, is on a team that we sponsor, and/or has bought the frame and framekit from us we don't charge anything for labor.

this shows the value of being a decent, rational, levle-headed customer.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
that is crazy. it only costs like $60 canadian to get a bike built around here.

Well I build my own anyway. I refuse to pay $30 for a headset installation when I can get a pair of carbon spacers and a pipe cutter for that price.

(heck that is what i did) I am the proud owner of a dull pipe cutter now.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Originally posted by tgaines72
God, satan, ween, the oneness

I am the stallion.
Man Thomas, you are such a hippie.:D And you are more like a pony at the state fair. You know, walking around in a circle and offering rides to little kids.:p

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
Originally posted by Capt. Burntout
if the person is a prick we charge $250 (overhaul price+ fork, headset and bb chase, face and installs ) and sometimes more depending on how poorly they behave, and the level of disrespect they show.

If the person is a regular customer, is on a team that we sponsor, and/or has bought the frame and framekit from us we don't charge anything for labor.

this shows the value of being a decent, rational, levle-headed customer.
That is obscene!

PolarBearWY

Chimp
Apr 26, 2004
Wyoming
Originally posted by spincrazy
Aint nothing you can't do yourself with an internet purchased bike Stosh. It's not like you even need any special tools like a bottom bracket or cassette tool.

$100!??! you've got to be kidding!
Yeah, you've gotta be kidding! You must have had "sucker" written on your checkbook. $20-$30 is what they charge around here. I have never put a bike together myself, but out of a factory box, they are nearly complete anyway. Brakes, cassettes, cranks... all already assembled on the bike. Even the tubes and tires are already on the wheelsets. All that should need to be done is headset/fork, pedals, and maybe some tuning of the cables. Half an hour, right?