Quantcast

How often are you sore?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Lately I have been getting really sore after rides, but not muscle sore but my joints have been sore. I cant remember the last time my actual muscles hurt from riding. If I bite it hard I usually feel like i have been hit by a truck the next day. How often does riding put a hurtin' on you?

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Welp, I'm always sore. It's good for you. Embrace the pain my friend. Yesterday I got home. I did like 2 hours of hard manual labor, moving 5 yards of crushed stone out back. I then did 15 miles on my proform bike in less than 40 minutes. I did 100 situps and 150 pushups. Later on at 10 pm, I went on an urban assault for 1 hour. I woke up today and felt like a truck ran over me. Someday I'll actually get 3 hours to myself to ride my bike on DERT.

Knuckle

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I never really get sore from riding just days when my legs feel very tired. However I do get sore when lifting weights which I only do in the winter.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Serial Midget said:
Never sore but sometimes fatigued. If your joints are sore it could be because you are pushing the tall gears when you shouldn't be. The faster the spin the better.
You are prolly right. I have really been riding mostly urban with ring up front & my seat cranked way down. When I ride trails I am not really sore afterwards, unless I eat dirt.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Serial Midget said:
Never sore but sometimes fatigued. If your joints are sore it could be because you are pushing the tall gears when you shouldn't be. The faster the spin the better.
So say I do 30-40 minutes on the exercize bike. It's better to spin at a higher rpm than kill myself at a lower setting with increased resistance? I'm constantly trying to figure out what is of better benefit. I notice that my knees kill when I use a higher resistance for an extended period. Sorry to always be talking of exercize bikes. I'm gonna ride my actual bike someday.

Knuckle

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
That depends on what you are after - if you are strength training on a bike pushing tall gears hard is good for short periods and intervals, if you are on an all day epic then its probabaly better to spin fast all the time. Anyhow - the resistance on your stationary cannot match an extended climb into a 15 MPH headwind. :)

Knuckleslammer said:
So say I do 30-40 minutes on the exercize bike. It's better to spin at a higher rpm than kill myself at a lower setting with increased resistance? I'm constantly trying to figure out what is of better benefit. I notice that my knees kill when I use a higher resistance for an extended period. Sorry to always be talking of exercize bikes. I'm gonna ride my actual bike someday.

Knuckle

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I ride enough that my muscles are rarely sore, but they did hurt after the 24 hour race. I'm old, so if I wreck, I definitely hurt for a couple days.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
i have ridden more in the last 2 weeks than i have ridden in the last 6 months(slight exaggeration but you get the point), my muscles, joints, feet, arms and legs are killing me, i'm sunburnt on my arms and have a good old redneck. i'm loving it, havnt had this much fun on a bike for a long time.

because i havnt ridden much at all since before christmas, i do get sore muscles but hopefully that should subside shortly after my body adjusts to the increase in riding. but my knees wrists annd elbows have always bothered me for the last couple of years, i cant see it going away, but its not enough to hold me back.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Serial Midget said:
It's the meds I expect. :blah:
Meh just some toradol and percocets, they had me on that damn morphine on my first night. Talk about blah blooey blah. They gave me a button after surgery for it i wound up only hitting it about 10 times tops, just throws your head around a little to harshly. I'm glad i didn't use much too, my grandmother used alot when she broke her hip and it gave her phantom itches, which i've felt a little bit, i guess it's alot worse when you use alot. Very unnerving.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Skookum said:
Meh just some toradol and percocets, they had me on that damn morphine on my first night. Talk about blah blooey blah. They gave me a button after surgery for it i wound up only hitting it about 10 times tops, just throws your head around a little to harshly. I'm glad i didn't use much too, my grandmother used alot when she broke her hip and it gave her phantom itches, which i've felt a little bit, i guess it's alot worse when you use alot. Very unnerving.

I was on a morphine drip for 4 or 5 daze, I dont remember :think:, & hit the button as often as I could & the had the crazy itchies afterwards plus a little problem coming off of my darvocet.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
they had me on a dilodin (sp?) button morphine, percocet, and vicodin did nothing for me (i think because of my severe ADHD). the stuff on the pump just knocked me unconsious in about 30 seconds and i could hit it every 30 minutes. as for getting sore i would be sore after a day of riding pretty much everytime.

bigbirdie

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
CT
Knuckleslammer said:

Knuckle
I have the same knee problem but only when I am really pushing myself on a long climb or in a high gear on the trainer. I don't ride road, strictly Mtnbikes. One thing you might want to check is your clip on your shoes in relation to how far out your foots sits on the pedal. the farther out or too close in to the crank and your knee will not be in alignment with your hips; causing the knee to flex laterally (left and right while sitting on the bike) and in turn, putting excess stress on your ligaments and tendons in the knee and the knee joint itself. Just the slightest movement left or right on the pedal makes a HUGH difference in how you feel on the bike.

As for the resistance and pedal RPM's. If you are spinning at a high RPM and low resistance, you will definitly be working on your cardio, but not much in the way of leg strength and stamina for climbing the big hills or short sprints. But if you constantly spin in a somewhat lower kadanceRPM and a higher resistance, you will gain leg strenght for short sprints and the hill climbs but no stamina for the long rides.

What I usually do is pop a mtnbike DVD in and ride to it. I warm up to the first 2 songs. Then at every song I increase the resistance and go up 1 gear. When I finally get to the highest resistance I stay there for 2 songs keep a 85% heart rate, then drop down 1 click on the resistance, keep the same kadance for 1 song. Next, 2 songs, I go back up to full resistance and fast kadance, keeping the 85% of max heart rate. I do this for the lenght of the DVD. I do this every other day, not including the weekly XC ride with the guys at work and not including the DH racing once a month nor the trips to my local BMX track with my daughter for about a hr. a couple of times a week. I should be doing the weight training too, but I am too busy to go back to the gym at work to do it. Just my $.02.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
biggins said:
they had me on a dilodin (sp?) button morphine, percocet, and vicodin did nothing for me (i think because of my severe ADHD). the stuff on the pump just knocked me unconsious in about 30 seconds and i could hit it every 30 minutes. as for getting sore i would be sore after a day of riding pretty much everytime.
WOW! you had a good bartender.
:eek:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
biggins said:
Life would be rough for you if you were a junkie. :D