• Rarely

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Never and I also have a supermodel girlfriend

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
So how about it, how often do you go down when riding at Diablo?

*Putting a foot down or hopping of the bike under control is not considered a fall. A fall has to be on your ass (or back, stomach, head, etc.) or ditching your bike in an uncontroled fashion.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
well when i fall i get really hurt which takes 4 months of riding away, so i guess its rarely but in a proportional sense more common

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I fall here and there.

I'm in no race, so there is no need for me to push past my limits.... I am happy to say that i hit everything @ diablo successfully, with the exception of the careless Wisper Skinnies and the Anthem drop (Skinnies/slim bridges has me SHOOK).

But yes i still do crash..... but live to ride several more runs and ride another day!

bmxracer62

Monkey
Feb 11, 2008
i will admit, i have never gone to diablo and not crashed in some way shape or form. most of the time its picking the wrong line and getting flung over the bars, wait the the pain out, see what went wrong and do it again.its hard to be pinning everywhere and not fall. knock on wood, no serious crashes, well, no serious injuries, i had a pretty bad one on chute de satchum like 2 weeks ago. minor injuries. im gonna try to keep it that way. try.

adarmiento

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
The way i see it if you are a regular rider at diablo you get to know all the trails and drops really well ect .But that does not matter because somedays your just havin a bad day and your riding is a bit off There is little room for error when you are riding the obstacles that we ride there Thats why we wear body armour , I just expect to take a dive every now and then its just part of the sport up there If you are pushing the bar every run or every other run your gonna splash down once in a while some more than others thats just my opinion . Eventually you get to be really good at crashing you develop a technique you have to go with the flow as they say works for me.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
In some way, I crash just about every trip. It's wrong to blame the bike at all, but sometimes when you are on a 6" bike setting the pace for your 8" pals, the fork and the rocks don't get along so well and I get tossed a bit.

I have fallen the most on Test of Metal. Actually have never been able to hop the log and swing the bike around on that rock face without the tires kicking away from me.

I fell the worst on Twist in a dinky spot with nothing worth falling at. Just too much speed and a little overconfidence caught up with me. Rashed my arm and stomach and broke a finge on my left hand.

Most falls in a single day was my first or second trip up there, on a 1997 Trek 820 with a Judy TT fork (about .05" of travel). I had to have wiped out 30 times that day.

My 'lucky spot' seems to be Chute de Satchum. At least 3 or 4 times I have come into the trail completely wrong (either wrong angle, muddy ass tires, dropped chain) and had the bike either nose off the first bridge or miss the tail on the first rock. Somehow I have hopped the bars and landed feet first on the bridge every time while the bike goes off the edge. (Did I just jinx myself?)

I don't care who you are or how familiar with riding you are, as adarmiento said there are so many spots that have no room for error and everyone goes down at some point when they are pushing their limits...

Last edited:

chatua

Chimp
Jul 3, 2007
Just about every time. Mostly on trails I rarely ride and things that sketch me out. I figured if I'm not confident, I'm gonna crash, lol.

konarider1283

Monkey
Sep 1, 2005
i crash about 3-4x a season. I do hop off the pedals a few times a day, but thats not a crash, so. There'll be days when I go and never crash, and then days when i crash a few times. Just depends heheh

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
I fall here and there.

I'm in no race, so there is no need for me to push past my limits.... I am happy to say that i hit everything @ diablo successfully, with the exception of the careless Wisper Skinnies and the Anthem drop (Skinnies/slim bridges has me SHOOK).

But yes i still do crash..... but live to ride several more runs and ride another day!
speaking of the anthem drop. i almost ate it falling off the skinny last weekend. i was scared ****less. :nopity:

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Th...But that does not matter because somedays your just havin a bad day and your riding is a bit off There is little room for error when you are riding the obstacles ...
Exactly, On sunday, I was going down crap chute, just before the hip. I cranked a tree, and it sent me flying. Ive prob. been down that section over 100 times. :banana:

FastBandit

Chimp
Jul 4, 2007
Northern, NJ
I guess I would have to say "Every once in a while". I go up almost every weekend to ride and I would say last season I only took two really good spills. One on Dom's Denial and one on Careless Whisper. Been there five times this season and the only fall so far was on Slayer yesterday. Went OTB, handlebars got caught on my shorts pocket and ripped my shorts all the way from my ass to the bottom of the leg. Nice breeze the rest of the trip down though!

konarider1283

Monkey
Sep 1, 2005
I guess I would have to say "Every once in a while". I go up almost every weekend to ride and I would say last season I only took two really good spills. One on Dom's Denial and one on Careless Whisper. Been there five times this season and the only fall so far was on Slayer yesterday. Went OTB, handlebars got caught on my shorts pocket and ripped my shorts all the way from my ass to the bottom of the leg. Nice breeze the rest of the trip down though!
HAHA I saw you at the bottom. was wondering why your pants were basically destroyed :biggrin:

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Man I'm reading this thread and it seems like a lot of the things you guys have described have happened to me.

This past weekend I hit a bunch of drops (phantom, flume, anthem) and other stuff (some trail that goes off to the left after the beginning section of crap chute, a part of victory that really sketched me out til this week) that I've never hit before. Hit pretty much everything cleanly....then had by far my worst wipeout of the season on TWIST of all places. Twist is the trail that we normally ride because it's fun and easy, but this time I went OTB flat on my stomach and my bike fell on my back. All in all it was pretty hilarious.

I also tore my shorts almost exactly the same way as the guy in the picture above me.

The first time I tried to ride chute de satchum I bailed, landed on my feet on the ladder bridge, holding my bike by one hand because it had fallen off the bridge (I ride a coilair so it's light enough to do that). Then I hit it one time perfectly this past weekend, but the second time I ran into that tree on the left of the entrance.

konarider1283

Monkey
Sep 1, 2005
Man I'm reading this thread and it seems like a lot of the things you guys have described have happened to me.

This past weekend I hit a bunch of drops (phantom, flume, anthem) and other stuff (some trail that goes off to the left after the beginning section of crap chute, a part of victory that really sketched me out til this week) that I've never hit before. Hit pretty much everything cleanly....then had by far my worst wipeout of the season on TWIST of all places. Twist is the trail that we normally ride because it's fun and easy, but this time I went OTB flat on my stomach and my bike fell on my back. All in all it was pretty hilarious.

I also tore my shorts almost exactly the same way as the guy in the picture above me.

The first time I tried to ride chute de satchum I bailed, landed on my feet on the ladder bridge, holding my bike by one hand because it had fallen off the bridge (I ride a coilair so it's light enough to do that). Then I hit it one time perfectly this past weekend, but the second time I ran into that tree on the left of the entrance.
good to hear you came outta chute nice n clean. That trail tends to be probably one of the spots where people get f*cked up the most. plenty of serious damage been done there :thumb:

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
good to hear you came outta chute nice n clean. That trail tends to be probably one of the spots where people get f*cked up the most. plenty of serious damage been done there
haha, thanks man. It felt great to hit it. And I agree 100% about it being a "greatest hits" area. I think the first serious injury of the season happened there opening day...some dude fell off the 2nd bridge and broke an ankle or something. (I guess it's debatable whether an ankle is a serious injury).

konarider1283

Monkey
Sep 1, 2005
haha, thanks man. It felt great to hit it. And I agree 100% about it being a "greatest hits" area. I think the first serious injury of the season happened there opening day...some dude fell off the 2nd bridge and broke an ankle or something. (I guess it's debatable whether an ankle is a serious injury).
its the only trail there that everytime i hit it still gives me the eery feelings cuz of the carnage I've heard. Helivacs seem to be the greatest ones ive heard

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Right after upper dominion but right before the fireroad and lower dominion there is this stupid little rock obstacle thats thrown me over about 5 times just because I can never decide on the right line or I never go fast enough into it.

adarmiento

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
Chute de sachum! That will F u up If you are not familiar with it .2 seasons ago i approached it the first time with way to much speed bounced off the tree entering it and it shot me into the rocks below which tore my shoulder rotator I rode the rest of the day but the day after i could not pick my arm up . That put me out the rest of the season good thing it was in August.Then the following season I had to try it again knowing not to go to fast and i checked it out this time and still i hit the tree again in the same spot I got away from my bike this time barely and broke my brake lever a small price to pay . I ride skinnys all the time no problem .I guess we are all a bit retarded somedays we just don't know what days until we crash, I know i have my retarded days so i just take it back a notch .

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory

Bad Sprain/Torn Ligs -- that was Chris. He's got at least 2 more weeks before his return! 6 weeks and a foot the size of a pumelo -- I'd say thats kinda serious.

That little bridge/section is infamous for kicking unexpected ass.

Instigatr

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
New Milford, NJ
Right after upper dominion but right before the fireroad and lower dominion there is this stupid little rock obstacle thats thrown me over about 5 times just because I can never decide on the right line or I never go fast enough into it.
Do you mean the two rocks with the small gap(6") between them? If you hit that slow parrallel with the gap, it would prob destoy your rim.

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Yeah, I usually go too slow while trying my best to go sideways across the gap and then end up droppping the front wheel on the rock behind it sending me over. I've had the gap wash out my front wheel before too, like you said.

bmxracer62

Monkey
Feb 11, 2008
i had a nice spill Chute De Satchum like two weeks ago, i hadnt crashed all day, conditions were perfect, i hadnt ridden diablo dry all season and it was bone dry. i came out of lower breakout(i think thats the trail) i was crusin along pretty fast and there was a slower rider in front of me, about to enter chute de satchum, well i was being a little overconfident, passed him, but came into the trail too fast, not making around the tree enough, and AHHHHHHH, straight into the boulders, face first! saw a flash of light, i thought i concussed my self, i thought my helmet was shattered, i thought i broke my ribs. and like any good fall, the bike landed on top of me. and i was clipped in. well, none of that happened, thank god. i tore a muscle in my shoulder, bruised a rib, and bit the inside of my lip pretty bad. i bent my chain guide, and broke my grip(ODI Lock-ons). i was there riding the next day, it was during the open so i just went to e-13, picked up an lg-1, went to diablo office and got new grips. the end.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
one classic spill on the first wall on alpine it rained the night before and was a little foggy all the sudden the bike was gone and i was flopping like a fish out of water. got a standing ovation form all above on the lift

bmxracer62

Monkey
Feb 11, 2008
thats one obvious no-no. DONT RIDE WALLRIDES IF WET! i dont laugh at crashes, but i love coming up on the lift and watching people get half way up and just dump it, i laugh my ass off, its common sense. i dont mean to rag on you.

konarider1283

Monkey
Sep 1, 2005
ohhhh is this if you go straight towards the right after the last table on upper before the berm? and you end up going down a bridge right before it? I still can never get through that. usually I lose it at one point or another heheh

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
I'm not one for crashing much, mainly because I don't push beyond my limits...yes i'm slow. But sunday I had a pretty good laugh and so did a few other people, coming out of chute de satchum I always hit Domboo instead of Alpine, well a mix of too high tire pressure and coming in to hot, realized i wasn't going to make the turn over the waterbars... ran wide slid out & ejected over the front, rolling down the trail. Pretty amusing.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
i was debating hitting it, then the guy in front of me hit it high and launched off of it so i thought no problem, at least i did not get hurt and gave some people an early morning laugh right

bmxracer62

Monkey
Feb 11, 2008
thats why we where protective gear Steve! i should buy armor though, i regret it after every fall, at least i wear elbow pads now! sometimes.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
it was my first time ever on a dh bike, at diablo i got half way up the wall before i ate s*** thats not bad for an overweight 41 year old who had not been on a bike in 25 years.