Quantcast

How often...

DrewS

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Bellingham, WA
...do you do a full tune-up on your road bike? Roughly how many miles do you ride before you regrease and relube everything? Or is it best to wait until something is just slightly off or loose?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I go about 3000 miles for a tune up but take the bike in for a check-up before any race or event like a century. I have Campy Chorus so really nothing has needed adjusted, lubed or refitted in 5000 miles... I just like to be sure.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
If you ride in the wet much then you should probably grease and lube every 3 months/1000 miles.

If you only ride in the dry, you could do it every year or so.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
thats what i love about my road bike, since I got my current bike (in Feb this year) after being without one for a while, all I do is the lube the chain every couple of rides, hang it up until the next ride, I have given it a wipe down after a wet ride, but thats, it, no gear adjustment, no brake adjustment, just get on and ride.

makes a great change to the mtb, which always need to be cleaned, de greased, lubed, gear set/checked etc.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
i just passed 3500 miles on my road bike in 1 year and it's begging for an overhaul. so that's what i'm doing tomorrow. I just got brand new brakes (the other were not new to the bike) so i replaced the cables (but on the housing).
I was looking over the mtb and it's wack i pulled the fork becuase i was having steering problems and all the bearing on the bottom cup fell out, they were sealed bearings too. So a new headset and she's ready to go. i've only got a few hundred miles on it but just about ever race i did was in the rain so she's due for an overhaul too.
then to top it off i'm going to attempt to clean my truck Ohhhhhh.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
DrewS said:
nope...someone came into the outdoor center and wanted a recomendation on tune-ups

ahh ic, did they ever fill that position? I never heard back.. not that I was really expecting to, last time was kind of a joke and for some reason I think I have a bad name down there... eh whatever, wrenching this summer will hopefully help me get a job some where in bham.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Hard to put a number on it as it depends on conditions really. I'll wash the bike probably once a week or so in the summer because I sweat a lot and after each ride if it was a really sweaty day. I'll degrease the chain maybe monthly if it looks dirty, longer if it's OK. I'll probably inspect everything at least anualy and clean and repack whatever can be anualy. Also I replace cables and housing as soon as I detect any shifting problems or sticky brakes. Its more like my bikes are in a constant state of repair. There is almost always something I'm attending to.

DrewS

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Bellingham, WA
thanks for the help. i pretty told the guy pretty much what you have all been telling me. he hadn't been riding in the rain much so i told him it wasn't as urgent to pull everything apart, clean and relube.

i gotta say matt, you are the king of thread detouring. :D i wasn't ever told about a position opening up but i would apply during the first week of fall quarter because i'll be leaving after fall, so they will need someone who knows the ropes for winter quarter