Quantcast

how strong is a pike

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
well the title says it all. how strong is the pike?

can it take say a 12' to a good tranny on occasion? with a 250 lbs ride on it?

and how are they holding up for general freeride

looking for a fork that will go on my preston fr which is also my trail bike so i would like to keep it light as well as strong so i can venture on any dirt i want with out worry

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
well i havent ridden a pike, but i can advise you about a fox vanilla 125r i got 2 and a half years ago or so. it weighs about 4 pounds and the ****'s been beaten out of it. I ride it on a dj hardtail bike. I've replaced the seals once about a year ago or so. I'm 200 lb's and I've taken it down long dh trails, raced it in a dh race, dirt jumped it a ton. 50/50'd 17ft doubles..yada yada. mostly now it sees lots of street riding. That said, i think i shall retire it soon, because about a month ago it's started creaking. i think its time for a new fork. but i mean after 2 and half years of sheer abuse and neglect this thing hasnt bent or snapped anywhere.

so sorry i dont have anything to say about a pike, but lots to say about the vanilla 125r. peace man

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I have a Pike Team "Coil" shock that I've been riding for about a year. I am a clydesdale and with gear probably around 250lbs. I had this fork on my Foes FXR and have since replaced the Foes with a Heckler. I have ridden these bikes pretty hard, especially the Heckler. I love that bike and I love the Pike. I have never taken it off anything over 6'. I have ridden it down some pretty hardcore, rocky downhill runs and I have never bottomed this fork out. From the zip tie on the fork I've come within about a 1/4" The fork just sucks it up! The only thing I wish this fork had was about another inch of travel. Rockshox is coming out with fork over the next year that will fill that 6''-7'' single crown market. From the pics, the demensions seem along the same lines as a Fox 36.

dsb1829

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Sir_Crackien said:
well the title says it all. how strong is the pike?

can it take say a 12' to a good tranny on occasion? with a 250 lbs ride on it?

and how are they holding up for general freeride

looking for a fork that will go on my preston fr which is also my trail bike so i would like to keep it light as well as strong so i can venture on any dirt i want with out worry
Pretty strong and stiff.

250lb is a problem though. I am 240 geared up. I really like the pike, but if I get it more than 3-4' in the air it will bottom out. That is with the extra firm spring kit. I am really hoping that they pony up and add an air assist like marzocchi to help us big boys out. I still run it on my all around hardtail, but for bigger stuff I have to vote for marzocchi.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
dsb1829 you could have gotten a dual air version, like i would get if i got the pike

Changleen i have had more problems with marzocchi than any other fork and it took for ever to get them fixed

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
dsb1829 said:
Pretty strong and stiff.

250lb is a problem though. I am 240 geared up. I really like the pike, but if I get it more than 3-4' in the air it will bottom out. That is with the extra firm spring kit. I am really hoping that they pony up and add an air assist like marzocchi to help us big boys out. I still run it on my all around hardtail, but for bigger stuff I have to vote for marzocchi.

Dude, it sounds to me like you got the firm spring instead of the extra firm. I'm 250 geared up and have jumped higher than 3-4', done drops in the 5-6' range and have never bottomed out my Pike. I've come within about 1/4" of getting full travel. Perhaps you should check the oil level in your fork if you are sure you have the correct spring. I think it would take an awful big hit to bottom that fork out. As far as comparing Marzocchi goes, I just picked up a Z1FR1 with 150mm of travel and the air assist for another bike I have. Unfortunately I've been pretty sick and have not had a chance to try it out on the trail. I am really anxious to compare it to the Pike. I've always been a Marzocchi guy until i purchased the Pike and I've been extremely impressed with that fork. I can't wait till they come out with their new single crown freeride fork. I believe I'll be first in line. It seems to be a Pike on steroids from everything I've seen and read.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i have seen photos of team riders going pretty big on a pike. there was video of last year's slopestyle comp at crankworx where some guy hit the big trailer drop with a pike. there was also an issue of decline a while back with syndicate guys hitting a good sized drop to tranny. not sure how much the guys weighed though. at 250lbs and 10-12 ft, the acceleration of gravity could make make the landing a bit harsher on the fork than if the team guys were 160lbs.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
by the way, i have been riding my 2005 pike race for a few months now and loving it. i have it on my hardtail. i have the stock spring in it and i am probably 190-195 with gear. the fork has treated me quite well. however, i have not been hucking or dirt jumping on it. i have mostly been using it for urban and trail riding. i have taken it to fontucky and run it down the dh course. the fork was the least of my worries.

NovatoSCFR

Monkey
Aug 27, 2004
NOVATO CA
I beat on my Pike Team all season at Northstar last year. Still works like new. Doesn't look like new, but it still works swell. I'm about 185 with gear, I think.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
boostindoubles said:
well i havent ridden a pike, but i can advise you about a fox vanilla 125r i got 2 and a half years ago or so. it weighs about 4 pounds and the ****'s been beaten out of it. I ride it on a dj hardtail bike. I've replaced the seals once about a year ago or so. I'm 200 lb's and I've taken it down long dh trails, raced it in a dh race, dirt jumped it a ton. 50/50'd 17ft doubles..yada yada. mostly now it sees lots of street riding. That said, i think i shall retire it soon, because about a month ago it's started creaking. i think its time for a new fork. but i mean after 2 and half years of sheer abuse and neglect this thing hasnt bent or snapped anywhere.

so sorry i dont have anything to say about a pike, but lots to say about the vanilla 125r. peace man
Lol, if a non 20mm TA fork can take a beating, the Pike can without a doubt, just don't buy anything from early 2005, because they had faulty arches. I've owned two and both have been flawless, I'd go for it. 10 feet to tranny is pretty mellow, my XC fork can take that, as long as you're fairly smooth.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
the pike is so strong that it can take multiple roundhouse kicks from chuck norris without breaking or showing any damage.