Quantcast

how strong is the pike?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
hmm...my guess is to wait and see...last I heard it's not even available for public sale yet....and "strong" is a relative term....D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
stronger than the walleye, but not as strong as the barracudda

caballero

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
good ol' europe
my buddy got his Pike team last week and it looks wonderful....

i think it's a bit stronger than the psylo's, but for me also the psylo's were strong enough !

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
caballero said:
i think it's a bit stronger than the psylo's, but for me also the psylo's were strong enough !
I've been running the same Psylo for like 3 years on various bikes...from DS to XC and it's been fine. I really like the Pike.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
When is someone going to design a strong, and light fork? I guess the new fox might work but who wants to fork out that kind of money if it isn't very stong. Its my experience, that if you are into freeride, dirt jumping, and Street, forks just don't last very long. I was curious about the pike, but I think I am gonna buy the new Manitou Stance Static, at $249, if it breaks, it won't be too hard to replace.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bulldog said:
The Pike is nearly 2 pounds lighter. Do you think it could be as strong? :confused:
I couldn't find the specs on the Pike but traditionally Z1's have a much longer axel to crown distances than forks of similar travel (ex Z1 FR vs. Fox). A longer fork of course need more material not just to make it longer but to withstand the extra forces caused by the extra length. Example: a full length wooden pencil is easier to break than a 2" section of pencil.

Anyway everything else being equal a shorter fork even with the same travel could be lighter and just as strong.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Jm_ said:
stronger than the walleye, but not as strong as the barracudda
How about 'stronger than the walleye, but not as strong as the muskie'? It is against the sportsman's code to mix fresh and saltwater metaphors. A barracuda is kinda like a saltwater muskie, though, except twice as mean and they sometimes run in schools. ;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
llkoolkeg said:
How about 'stronger than the walleye, but not as strong as the muskie'? It is against the sportsman's code to mix fresh and saltwater metaphors. A barracuda is kinda like a saltwater muskie, though, except twice as mean and they sometimes run in schools. ;)
SKREEEEEEEEEECH... *CRUNCH*

....BOOM!

Did you hear that? That was the sound of the thread derailling so badly that it exploded in a violent fireball of metal shards and body parts

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Wait a minute, let me consult my structural engineer who can see into the future.

How are you going to get a straight answer when it's not even in the public's hands yet???

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
My friend has a Pike and its strong - down at the gym I saw it bench press 250 lbs.

Sir_Crackien if you told us a little more about what type of riding you will be doing and you build it would be possible better to evaluate if the Pike is a good fork for you. Personally I try not to be the first person to buy new products especially not expensive products like suspension. Better to see how a new product hold up and buy it a good price point later in the year if it is still good.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
its got mag lowers, 20mm thru axle and 32mm stanchions, has any manufacturer made a fork with that configuration that in a 140mm travel mode, didnt get characterized as "strong"?

no that i know of so unless RS breaks new ground in "weakness" then the pike should be ok.

the axle to crown for the pike is pretty much like a psylo with 15mm extra travel, that means 517mm.
for comparison the z150 is 530mm but has 10mm more travel so to compare we could deduct travel and arrive at

psylo 375mm+travel
pike 377mm+travel
all 32mm stanchion SC marzocchis 386mm+travel

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
llkoolkeg said:
naw, we did it all the time in the bay and delta of california...mix fresh and salt that is...

Onehittah

Monkey
Mar 27, 2003
Austin
A few of my buddies that work at the local shop have been trying out a Pike for the last few months now. The local RS rep gave them one to pass around the shop.

I have ridden this fork on my buddies SX and it was really nice. It reminded me of my Psylo; with nice smooth dampining on the trail, but with added features. I did not jack with all of the controls, but it did climb extemely well.

As for durability... It is on it's third bike now, and has been DJ'd, DH'd, and trail ridden HARD. The guy that is on it now destroyed an '04 Z1 in a month, and the Pike is still holding up. Now I would not want to be the 4th person to put that fork on my bike, but it seems to be a LOT more reliable than the Psylo.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
CBJ i directly compared the pike to the Z150. i should be obivious that i might think about getting onw to replace a Z150 that i'm riding. to give you even more info, i ride hard. i dj, street, park, dh all on the same bike. also i weight 240 lbs. one thing that you should know is that the pike has been avaliable to the public for 3 weeks now and i'm sure that there have been people riding them for about 4-6 month testing the fork for durability. i have been one of these people in the past(for the x.9). there is the reason that i asked the question

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Good additional information. Both street and DJ is super tough on equipment especially at 240 lbs and I would rather keep the z150 you have.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
BMXman said:
Normal people??...please explain;)
:), By normal, I meant people who can ask their LBS to order them one..... Ive seen them posted on MTBR...not tons mind you...but enough to know they are out there,.,,, also BTI's front page has a banner saying RS 2005 shocks are in stock....

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
binary visions said:
Heavy != strong.
That wasn't the Pinkbike-ish statement I was trying to convey. Even without a pissing contest about who has better strength:weight engineering, at least *some* of that 2 pounds HAS to go into increased strength. How's that for scientific!? ;):)

**edit** Gosh, I'm almost sorry I posted in this thread again, just cuz I don't want anyone to have to see that woman-thing again! Scary.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Ummm...I don't remember many breakage problems in 2003...2002 was the bad year. Small stanchions and first year of the cryo-fit. Biggest problem in 2003 was the tire fit issues, I thought.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Cracked crowns due to fender mount? Sure, there's alot of metal in those forks, but it's in all the wrong places. I'm suprised they didn't make M shaped stanchions...

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
the fender mount and crack thing was subsequently cured, without the design changing, seems to me it was a joint design/execution problem.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
vitox said:
its got mag lowers, 20mm thru axle and 32mm stanchions, has any manufacturer made a fork with that configuration that in a 140mm travel mode, didnt get characterized as "strong"?

no that i know of so unless RS breaks new ground in "weakness" then the pike should be ok.

the axle to crown for the pike is pretty much like a psylo with 15mm extra travel, that means 517mm.
for comparison the z150 is 530mm but has 10mm more travel so to compare we could deduct travel and arrive at

psylo 375mm+travel
pike 377mm+travel
all 32mm stanchion SC marzocchis 386mm+travel
Z150 has 538mm A-C which is tall for a SC. That's 21.5"

For comparison, the Z1(130mm version) is 518 which sounds identical to the Pike and about what the new 6" Sherman Firefly is. I understand that the 66 is even taller.

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Ive been using a Pike now for about 3 weeks, so far its been my favorite fork. Super smooth and very stiff. The Maxle is the total bunker buster of bombs, the best system Ive tried yet, faster than standard QR.
On the cover of one of the new style mags like TwentySix or Decline, is a DJ'er doing a back flip with a Pike, cant remember his name, fairly new to me, in the mag shows him again in a jump contest again with the Pike. I dont think the fork was made for the sick trails of Whistler, more for agressive trail riding, that should take a big hit.

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
The background info: About a month old, ridden in 3" mode. The rider weights 150lbs and is fairly smooth, but is nevertheless a notorious parts destroyer. Used mostly for DJ with some street, but not the 12 stair to flat variety. Keep in mind that one broken fork does equal a blanket condemnation of the entire line.

Attachments