Quantcast

How the fvck do you crack a freehub?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Discovered the freehub on my Campy Centaur rear hub was cracked yesterday. Nice long split, all the way through the body. A new one is more than the wheel is worth...

Awesome. So sick of this Italian garbage.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Hey, I stripped out the hub shell of a XT hub after four years of hard riding. Had to toss a perfectly good wheel.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Discovered the freehub on my Campy Centaur rear hub was cracked yesterday. Nice long split, all the way through the body. A new one is more than the wheel is worth...

Awesome. So sick of this Italian garbage.
Of all the other mechanics I know from numerous shops, I don't know one who actually likes Campy or likes working their products. Only the hardcore fanatics refuse to admit how miserable that crap is to work on, and how truely mediocre it is for the price. Sorry about your hub.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yeah...I'm only on it 'cause I picked up the group for a song. Feel like I should've just saved a bit more and snagged a SRAM Rival group at cost.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Figured yesterday I'd just bite the bullet and replace the freehub.

Turns out it's unavailable. Everywhere. SICK!

I love you Campy. I mean: Go to hell.

Oh well, broken freehubs are fun to ride on, anyway.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I have cracked an inner freehub body once. XT or XTR I don't recall, but it was fixed that afternoon. A friend of mine cracked the outer shell of a Shimano freehub body too. It's brittle stuff and that can happen.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I've repeated my mistake and purchased a new set of Campy wheels (Nucleons) instead of buying a Shim/Sram group.

Sigh.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
We've got a couple diehard Campy fan boys who are regulars at the shop, and I never can understand why. We push Shimano/Sram pretty hard.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
10 years ago, Campy fanboying made sense.

Now it's just retarded. I bought the group originally because it was being unloaded way under its value. It's functional, but new SRAM/Shim stuff, even at lower levels (105/Rival) is much more durable and less finicky.

I DO like being able to grab/dump the whole cassette at once, and the very solid shift feeling of Ergopower. I loved the hub until it died. Quick engagement and smooth as butter. Admittedly, the group does have a certain mystique and aesthetic to it that can't be matched by more functional componentry...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
10 years ago, Campy fanboying made sense.

Now it's just retarded. I bought the group originally because it was being unloaded way under its value. It's functional, but new SRAM/Shim stuff, even at lower levels (105/Rival) is much more durable and less finicky.

I DO like being able to grab/dump the whole cassette at once, and the very solid shift feeling of Ergopower. I loved the hub until it died. Quick engagement and smooth as butter. Admittedly, the group does have a certain mystique and aesthetic to it that can't be matched by more functional componentry...
Yeah. I've still got a bike kicking around with an older Record group, and it's pretty awesome, but I can't see myself buying anything new that's not Shimano. Sram's stuff is functional, but I vastly prefer Shimano's shifter configuration.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
These wheels being....?
Campagnolo Nucleons...I believe they were the high-end climbing wheels in Campy's line from the mid 2000s. They have a really low rim profile so they require some focus on keeping pinned at speed, but aside from that they're stiff and light. My old wheels were like mush under acceleration.

Did just locate some Campy-hubbed Reynolds Attack wheels nearby for dirt cheap, though...tempting.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Campagnolo Nucleons...I believe they were the high-end climbing wheels in Campy's line from the mid 2000s. They have a really low rim profile so they require some focus on keeping pinned at speed, but aside from that they're stiff and light. My old wheels were like mush under acceleration.

Did just locate some Campy-hubbed Reynolds Attack wheels nearby for dirt cheap, though...tempting.
We've sold a ****load of Attacks, and have heard nothing but good things back. I took a little spin on a pair to see how they felt and was impressed. Pretty stiff, not really mind blowingly so, but solid. My only real complaint is that changing spokes on them sucks balls because of their funky recessed nipples.