Quantcast

How to 180?

stinky805

Chimp
May 9, 2006
How do you do a 180? I finally learned to bunny hop. But Ive been trying to 180 now for about month. I can do half of a 180 but cant ever seem to get past that...

stinky805

Chimp
May 9, 2006
alright thanks. I guess Ill just keep practicing. Also I have a a bit of a problem When I first kept on attemping to do a 180 I landed hard on the back tire alot of times and the spokes came loose. Does that mean Im landing inccorectly? I have a kona cowan.

bigdonut

Chimp
Mar 10, 2005
PHX
I'm trying to learn this too. I have heard it helps to look where you want to go, so try looking back in the direction you are spinning to. I've got it a couple of times, but can't ride backwards, so had to come off the pedals. My rear wheel is taking a real beating landing on it sideways after only getting partial way around. Maybe try to spin both ways so the same side of the wheel isn't always getting hit?

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
Now spokes is my forté! My bike shop gave me a spoke wrench day one. Now I'm obsessed. My vbrakes are 1mm from my rim on both sides all the time. If you want to know how to do it, message me and I can give you a long detailed description on how to do it. It's really easy but most people dont know how or are afraid to try with fear of screwing it up. But once you get the hang.. it's all you.

I ran into a guy in the woods who's back wheels were SO loose he was having difficulty riding. I stopped, pulled out my spoke wrench and he was like in front of his buddies, "Holy crap! I can't believe it! This guy just trued both my front and back wheel in like ten minutes!" He said he never did it cuz he was afraid to mess with it not knowing how to do it. But the principle is so easy anyone can do it. Also there is a way to make a poor man's truing stand out of a 2x4, 4 zip ties and some hardware you can get at your Home Depot, Lowes or any local hardware store. If you want me to put a pic up of it I can show it to you. I keep my spokes tight all the time. You can do it ON the bike using the vbrake as a guide or build the stand if you don't. It's very easy.

Let me know if you want more dude.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
RenegadeRick said:
me too. I got a spoke wrench. can't figure out what to do with the silly thing.
ok.

- flip the bike over, and use the brake pads (if rim brakes) to see which way the rim is out
- when you find a spot that's out, tighten the 3 or so nearby spokes from the hub flange on the opposite side of the deviation
- tightening spokes is clockwise as viewed from the tire, so is counterclockwise when you're looking from the hub towards the rim.
- tighten spokes 1/4 turn at a time, then recheck.
- try to keep even tension in adjacent spokes (well, every other vs. adjacent, adjacent-but-coming-from-the-same-hub-flange).
- "twang" the spokes together where they cross to listen for the pitch in order to tell how tight the spokes are. floppy spokes won't make any noise.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
and as for being able to 180 on flat ground, make sure you can bunnyhop high enough to start with. being able to ride fakie, if only for a short distance, is also required. then concentrate on leading with your bars and looking into the spin.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
Okay I shot some pics of my "I'm too cheap to buy a real one" true stand. You will run into a problem I did when you figure out that the front and back rim are two widths so you might have to make two unless you are good with a dremmel as you'll have to drill an upper hole for your back tire with thinner walls to accomidate for your cassette hitting and then a bottom set for the front with two sets of zip ties for the scrapers. Too long to describe how to make one here but if you want directions, message me and I'll give you better shots by email and more detail on how to build one or just put it in another post just for that. It's real easy to build. I used Cull Lumber so it was like .50 cents for the wood, plus some threaded steel for a skewer, some washers to keep it tight between the wood and was like under $5 bucks. You can see where I put thinner walls and sanded out a cassette area to be able to do both wheels on one stand. I got the idea from AMA supercross legend Jeremy McGrath doing a tech tip one night on television about how he keeps his spokes true. He said he used ZIP TIES on both forks and just turned them inward till the touched the wheel.

Bottom shot shows the ZIP TIE scrapers. If you measure it with the tire on it you can make it long enough to do it with or without the tire on. I just used an old rim to show the pics. But I can do it with the tires on. Works great...

dcrides

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
try 180s on a hill or bank which will make them easier and be easier on your wheels, once you have this down and can peddle fakie do em on flat, It takes a while but once you can ride fakie and 180 riding street is so much more fun and your learning curve gets faster

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Spinning is all in the head (as stated in Rad, the movie). Lead with your head and the body will follow. Basically, look the spin the whole way around. . .

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
When you 180 remember to spot your landing w/ your head and spin. My problem was I was orbiting instead of spinning around one point. Sping quickly around 1 point with the middle of your bike.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
thats a sick setup, hey Chunky Munkey if you want pm me eveyrthing and all the pics, i'll make a guide out of it and put it into pdf so mac and windows and everyone can see it, rm admins would sticky it..and i'm interested in it too..and my freeride bike really needs the rear trued, ithe spokes are amazingly loose.

as for the 180s, i try em on my bmx and have done them a few times..i just turn the way i am about to spin and whip my body with the bike..i know about the rim damage, get the spoke wrench, i'm just going to buy the stand though..onet thing you could do, is buy a cheap rim and just use that to practice if you don't wana bang your rim up too badly..idk how exspensive your rim is, mine is cheap, and is bent like a motherfudger, still semi ridable but w.e. just keep trying..i can do em on quarter pipes, mayybe try on them, its a lot easier..

ahaha:update, i just did one today on a grass bank!