Quantcast

How to Build a Dream Bike?

sweetass

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
Hi all,

I'm trying to surprise :heart: my boyfriend :heart: with the bike of his dreams. Unfortunately I don't know enough about bikes to know all the perfect components! I'm on the waiting list for Evil's Sovereign frame, but I don't know how to build it up... He's going to ride it as a singlespeed.

Any suggestions for the wheel set, fork, etc. I'd really appreciate any advice!!

Thank you! :D

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Well, two suggestions:

- Tell us a bit about the kind of biking he does (big drops, ramps and wooden structures, skate-parky stuff?), and we can make some suggestions.

or

- let us know what part of the country you're in and we can hook you up with either some knowledgeable Monkeys and/or a good shop who can help you out.

Also, have a ballpark amount of $$$ in mind?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
you're one hell of a g/f. so...what's up, you come around here often? you look so familiar.

seriously, like recidivist said, more info would be good. have you got a wheelset already, or are you purchasing that, as well?

sweetass

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
Well,

He does street riding and trail riding. I think this would be a street bike. I want everything to be the best, so I figure I'll probably spend around $3000. It's hard for me to give more details, because I just don't know enough about bikes... We're in South Florida, so there aren't too many hills around here... But I'll be getting everything, including the wheel set.

I know I'll want to get King hubs and headset, but that's about it... Sorry I can't be more specific. But some suggestions about what you guys would consider your dream singlespeed Sovereign would be great!

Thanks!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just to throw my $.02 in. No matter what bike a Thomson seatpost is always the best choice, with a do it all bike like the Sovereign a 410mm post may be the best choice, and if it is too long it can always be cut down.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
holy crap. lucky guy.

this would be how i would set it up:

Frame: Sovereign
Fork: Sherman Jumper. 3", stiff, 20mm...just my opinion, though.
Headset: King
Handlebar: _____
Stem: Thomson 50mm or 70mm
Seatpost: Thomson (if you're doing this online, call or e-mail Larry at MountainHigh Cyclery. he sells Thomson posts for $60 shipped)
Saddle: ______
Bottom Bracket: FSA Euro Pro
Cranks: Profiles
Brakes: Hope Mono Minis or Avid Mechanicals, 160mm or closest to.
Levers: if Avid Mechanicals, i'd run SD7s.
Pedals: ______
Rims: ______
Hubs: King ISO with steel cassette body (tres important if running singlespeed)
Spokes: Wheelsmith DB14
Chainring: Evil Crown Ring
Cog: King

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Looks like a good start. I'd say don't worry about saddle and pedals, too personal of a choice.

Go for the King singlespeed ISO hubs, but get on the waiting list now, since they're probably hard to get a hold of

sweetass

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
Thank you very much!! I'm going to get all the components as soon as possible so that when the frame comes in, it'll be ready to go!

Thank you!!

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
If your boy isn't into building his own bikes, it's probably best to get a shop into the mix for the build up. A good shop can also help you with getting good parts and may hook you up with a deal.

If you let us know what part of the country you're in, the monkeys may be able to suggest a shop and/or mechanic who can get you some help.

Let us know how the shopping goes....

sweetass

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
Which would you guys prefer: to get a bike pre-built with amazing components or to build the bike yourself with amazing components?

I thought it would have bigger impact to give him the bike already built and ready to ride, but I know he really likes building bikes...

Any thoughts??

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Back to Inbred's comment about Larry at Mtnhigh cyclery - I bet he'd give you great prices on most of the high end stuff that you want for this bike for your boyfriend.

He's a stand up guy for sure and he has great prices and customer service.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
sweetass said:
Which would you guys prefer: to get a bike pre-built with amazing components or to build the bike yourself with amazing components?

I thought it would have bigger impact to give him the bike already built and ready to ride, but I know he really likes building bikes...

Any thoughts??
I tend to agree with recidivist. Plus, then you could help. The couple that builds bikes together stays together. :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
sweetass said:
If, and only if, he has the tools and knowledge for it, AND enjoys wrenching, I'd give him the parts and the frame and let him build it himself.

However, if you give a big box of parts and a frame to someone who:

A) doesn't have the tools, thus not being able to build it himself
B) doesn't have the knowledge, thus damaging his expensive new toy
or
C) doesn't like wrenching, thus hates every second of the build

...then you may as well have opened the gates to Hell - 'cause he'll have a sweetass bike that he can't ride. There's not a lot more frustrating than having a bike mostly built and finding out that you don't have the right bottom bracket tool or something.

Be careful on this one. And I recommend having the wheels pre-built unless you know he's a good wheelbuilder.

The build that The Inbred posted is almost exactly what I'd build my own dream hardtail with, 'cept I'd put something like the new Fox 36 on it for a little more long travel versitility, and some hydraulic brakes.

sweetass

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
Thanks,

I think I'll have the wheels built for him, then surprise him with boxes of parts, a beautiful frame, and a six pack!

:)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
sweetass said:
Hi all,

I'm trying to surprise :heart: my boyfriend :heart: with the bike of his dreams. Unfortunately I don't know enough about bikes to know all the perfect components! I'm on the waiting list for Evil's Sovereign frame, but I don't know how to build it up... He's going to ride it as a singlespeed.

Any suggestions for the wheel set, fork, etc. I'd really appreciate any advice!!

Thank you! :D

LOL... Nice name.

btw, I'd say NO Avid Mech's, go Hope.

sweetass

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
:) Thanks! I thought it was appropriate ;)

What components would you all choose to make the lightest singlespeed? That would match the gold King headset?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
sweetass said:
:) Thanks! I thought it was appropriate ;)

What components would you all choose to make the lightest singlespeed? That would match the gold King headset?
I believe the Magura Martas are some of the lightest disc brakes on the market.

If money is no object... Chris King hubs for sure, maybe some Rhyno Lite XL rims if you're looking for a little durability as well.

Fox 5" TALAS fork...

Are you really looking to get super lightweight here? Does he ride hard? Weigh a lot? There's some variables at work when you are looking for recommendations.