Quantcast

How to build skinny's.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I have alot of woods in my area(MD). I want to build some "North Shore" type stuff but I need some ideas. Could you guys give me any ideas on how to secure them in the ground right and maybe even give me some ideas.

willpowa

Chimp
Sep 6, 2004
The first question I'd ask you: you wanna build on public lands (parks,cemetaries), or private property? If it's on YOUR private property, build it up! If it's on somebody else's property and they don't know, you gonna be in deep $hit! No public lands, either, cause of mad liability issues and because they'll get torn down or hurt unqualified idiots.
If you have to build and can't do it on your land, I'd say go out and knock on doors until you find somebody who will let you build on theirs... only that's not an option near Columbia.

Try your hand at urbaning: lots of skinnies to be found made outta concrete!

As far as actually constructing the stunts, if you haven't had any building experience, the most important point I could make is not to rely on your fasteners (nails, screws, etc) to bear weight.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Well its sorta on public land. There are paved trails about 50 feet from it but we have built jumps on this trail before and nothing has ever happened to them. We plan on building the skinnys over brush and such off to the side of the singletrack. Its mostly just a dirt trail that is rarely travelled by passer by's.

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
I'm not too far from ya.. me and a few other locals are currently building trails, it's on public property but its were nobody goes and the police and city maintenance people already know about it and gave us the ok. So far we've got 3 sets of doubles in a row, a small but technical step up into a hip, rock drop, 2 kickers and currently working on some berms and a ladder. We've got a TON of room to work with and it should be awesome by the spring!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
willpowa said:
If you have to build and can't do it on your land, I'd say go out super deep in the woods somewhere in a national forest or something, only that's not an option near Columbia.

NO!

Whatever you do, DO NOT build in a national forest! That is a biiiiig no no!

Building on any public land is bad, but National Forests is REALLY bad! The Hick Hucksters (Friends of a friend) found this out the hard way.

Read this Article

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
As far as building the skinnies, if you dont know what you are doing, I would suggest you don't. Find a friend to learn from that knows how to build.

If you are familiar with building, use DEADFALL (please do not cut any live trees) cut it to however high you want it, and dig it into the ground a good 3+ feet. Pack that in, and that can be the supports for your stunts. build whatever you want on top, use screws (more permanent than nails, and will not back out) to attach it, and viola!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
BigMike said:
NO!

Whatever you do, DO NOT build in a national forest! That is a biiiiig no no!

Building on any public land is bad, but National Forests is REALLY bad! The Hick Hucksters (Friends of a friend) found this out the hard way.

Read this Article

word mike hucksters went down big time for it. it sucked riding with them for a year after that cause they were not allowed into national forests.Too bad the guy that ratted em out never got his ass handed to him in a bag billy bad ass style. That trail was so f'n sick though.those guys rip.

willpowa

Chimp
Sep 6, 2004
Uh, yea: to reiterate...don't build on -ANY- public land. :mumble:
Thanks for posting the hucksters link, too, Mike...always worth a reread; especially as this forum seems to be blowin up with stunt hungry youts..

I tell you again: hit the streets :thumb:

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Work with your local trail access club. There are some legal "technical trail features" being built in Richmond right now with the park managers permission. It's all low level stuff but it's a start. The work has been quality so far from what I've seen. I can't wait to ride it.

As others have so emphatically noted...Don't build without permission. It could get the whole trail system closed and ruin it for everyone.

Mike

astr0moose

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Start here, do it right. Rumors of more obstacles going up at the Watershed are risking bike access on that land.

Get permission or buy land. IMBA has an awesome book on trailbuilding--INCLUDING obstacles, or 'stunts'. I went to the imba conference, and came away very well trained in building stuff.

Ger permission
Never cut down live trees
Make alternate lines so chumps, or those riding rigid, can go around
Never line trails straight up or down hills. They will rut-out after two rains

On top of making the trail last, you want the obstacles to look like they belong. Meaning, use natural stuff first (over a fallen tree or boulder that is already there).

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
Well since we have permission to build on city land we are going to continue to do so :thumb: the area has 80% dead tree's and we don't plan on taking down any live ones. Building on a national forest is just plain stupid though, I guess it serves them right for not thinking the rangers would see any of it. :nope:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Hmmmmmm...I saw an undercover cop of some kind back in the 'shed just this past Sunday. He was in an unmarked 4x4 which had a dash-mount light bar and lights hidden behind the grill. I could see he had a patch on his arm, but the tint of his windows obscured his uniform. I assumed he was looking for poachers who couldn't bag a whitetail the previous day.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea, I know ppl can get touchy on public land. But in a way, they have every reason too. But where we live, we would build of to the side of the single track over dead stuff, so it would take up to much space.

Hey NotQuiteJDM, what part of MD do you live in and where are you planning to do this. It sounds like a good idea.

SomeFear

Chimp
Nov 17, 2004
If you can find poplar trees that are already on the ground and not rotten and can run a saw without disturbing to many people (goes without saying becareful) ... you can get two nice pieces. Strip the bark of course it'll last a lot longer. Support it with triangles and have fun.

I found the saw will leave a pretty sharp edge behide on the tree halves, we simply run a simple hand planer down the edge .. saves skin later.

Unfortunately the property thing is a major issue for all your time spent.

Hope my example .jpg made it across.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Thats pretty cool man. I think we just ganna slowly build up the forest over the winter. We have a pretty good amount of space and some good ideas to go around. So well see how it goes. When done, i will post pics.