Quantcast

how to bunny hop on a XC setup bike?

blanka

Chimp
Nov 14, 2006
hi guys

i am riding a hardtail xc bike. As my seatpost and saddle is setup high for paddle efficiency during offroad, i find it difficult to do bunny hop with it:disgust:.

Is there any solutions in adjusting to my bike setup(except lowering e seat), techniques to improve the hopping?

Any kind advises are welcome
thks~

blanka

Chimp
Nov 14, 2006
Pull up into a wheelie first, then push forward to lift the back wheel off the ground.
do i need to do a pull up using SPD pedals to assist lifting up the rear? most of the time i over do it and the saddle just hit hard on my butt.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Hmm...

What is your goal? To hop up onto an item (ledge), or to hop over an item (rock or log)?

At best, I have been able to hop up items about 2 feet high. I can tell you this: bunnyhopping is a combination of moving your body around the bike and lunging it forward. I can do this best on my trailbike, and only when I lower the saddle. I use clipless pedals, but only because that's all I ride now.

When it comes to my xc hardtail, I do not bunnyhop in the traditional sense. It is more of...pull the front wheel over the item and then lift (w/ clipless pedals) the rear up. I liken the movement to "see-sawing" the bike.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
im with renegade. on my xc hardtails i usually get the front wheel up and over, then pick up the rear wheel. spd's flats doesnt matter, whichever you ride with will work. usually when i do it my front end will drop down and as that happens i get back behind the seat, as if i was descending a steep hill. that should help avoid hitting yourself with the seat. this works for me to clear most good sized trail obstacles. i hope that makes sense.

blanka

Chimp
Nov 14, 2006
hi guys

thks for your sharing:lighten:

so its "do-able" on a xc setup bike without lowering the saddle.

so less talk for me now, and more practise!

thks again

WVpat

Chimp
Dec 19, 2007
Baltimore, MD/Morgantown, WV
hi guys

thks for your sharing:lighten:

so its "do-able" on a xc setup bike without lowering the saddle.

so less talk for me now, and more practise!

thks again
I'm gonna agree with Indie Boy.

XC is what I mostly what I have ridden and raced since I started...and seat height is really one of the most important things to think about. If its too high you arent getting all your power that you can, too low and you start to get tired and uncomfortable.

It's weird to me that the seat is hitting you...in all the bunnyhopping I've done over logs/rocks/whatever I don't remember that ever happening. I was always told that your seat should be at a height where when seated, your leg should extend to the point just before your knee starts to lock out, maybe even a little more before if it makes you more comfortable. I'm sure there are better ways out there but this is the best one I've come across that doesn't involve measuring or being measured.

And bunnyhopping in clipless is a lot easier, but you might want to try it with platforms just to get a good method down. Also it might be easier to catch your balance if you mess up.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
well there is one more technique out there that i actually prefer to use over the bunny hop when riding. i kinda wheelie (not full in wheelie) my front wheel up to the top of the log/object. then i kinda he ho the bike overs. by this i mean when the front wheel starts to roll off i push the bike forward and place the rear wheel on the object.

the great thing about the technique is that its low risk if you come up a little short, you will roll over better rather than casing. if you use this tech. properly you should lose no forward momentum. also as you get better at this way you will find that doing this can actually gain you a little speed as well.

ilovedirt

Chimp
Feb 23, 2007
A little late but.....if your saddle is hitting you anywhere it should be the chest. My XC bike does not bunny hop well at all, but that is the way I have it set up. Once you get your front wheel up you will kind of push the bars forward and pull your knees up at the same time. It is all one fluid motion and you butt should be over the rear wheel. Sorry if this is a little confusing but it is the only way I know to explain it.

pancho64

Monkey
Jul 28, 2007
ilovedirt has it right, if the seat hits you anywhere it should be on your chest. if you are trying to hop and your seat is hitting your butt that just means you need to tuck your body behind it. meaning your but should be over your rear tire. the gravity dropper suggestion is a good one also. lower seat will allow you more time ot get your body back. but yes practice is key so go try it.