Quantcast

How to do a Whistler trip?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So this summer my mom wants to do a sort of family vacation with me and my sister somewhere. Naturally, I thought Whistler would be a great location. :D After having searched both here and in the Lounge a bit, I have yet to find the answers to some of my questions. Basically, I'm wondering where to stay, how to get there, and any other pointers people might have.

I am thinking tentatively at this point that driving from SoCal would be easiest - no need to pay baggage surplus fees on the plane, and no worrying about my bike. At the same, it would put wear-and-tear on the car, and takes much longer. Any opinions on this?

Next, I'm not quite sure when to go. July I will be working pretty much the entire month, so I am thinking mid August would be best, after Crankworx. That way, we miss the huge crowds, and hopefully the weather will be decent. Is this a good time to ride? Since it's not a "riding" vacation, I think that my riding time will be limited to maybe 3 or 4 days, so I want to really ride and not just watch pros, even though I'm sure the atmosphere is amazing.

Lastly, any tips on where to stay? This is all very preliminary still, so I really haven't looked into much of anything in the way of lodging. However, considering it's 3 people, 2 of whom want to stay somewhere "nicer", and condos/hotels that aren't too expensive yet aren't complete dumps either with people sleeping on the floor? If it were just me I'd do it completely on the cheap, but what can you do. :D I need to be looking into other activities or maybe locations as well, not just the lifts and hotel, but I figured I would try to figure out my part of this before worrying about the details.

I know I should be thinking about extra parts, clothes, etc. at this point too. I'm thinking basically my normal kit with a rain jacket in case would probably suffice, and maybe a thermal layer just in case it gets really cold. Other than that, I'm just pumped I might actually make it to Whistler!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Squam_DH

Chimp
Feb 24, 2009
Drive or fly is a tough one. You also have to add in the cost of getting a rental or shuttle from Van to Whistler. I would say drive, and hit up Ashland and Hood River on th way up. What we always do going to Sea otter.

Come anytime AFTER C-worx. September is great time to ride.

Lodging is a tough one. If your looking at either a condo or hotel, take a l0ok at places that are listed as "Blackcomb Base" or "Base 2". These are a 10 min walk from the main village and can sometimes be a good bit cheaper.

As for things to do, whistler has thousands of ways to take your money.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
That's quite a drive man... (Road trip marathon comes to mind.) It's 13 hours for me from So. Oregon, I've driven to L.A. and it took me 12... That's lots of driving. If it were me, I'd fly and rent bikes, but if you guys are down with the road trip, cool.

I think August would be a cool time to go. I've went in September and the weather was questionable, but it worked out awesome as we just got some drizzel and it dialed all the trails in. (Not that the trails are dusty or sketchy...) Garbanzo was a mess, but if it rains at all, that's expected. Anything can happen with the weather though so come prepared with wet weather gear and tear offs. Two years ago I went during the first couple days of Crankworx and we were getting dumped on. One run and we were covered in mud head to toe. My bike's bearings were destroyed from 3 days of riding. (If you have some Gortex socks, bring them. I also had some Sombrio Roam pants and they were dope...)

If you're going to pick a hotel, I've had the best luck with the "Whistler Village Inn & Suites." They have rooms with a deck and two beds. One upstairs and downstairs. They never seem to mind if you bring your bike in the room either. The pricing hasn't been outragous and you're 30 seconds from the lift! I'm sure there are better deals, but AAA always sends me there. I've heard about deals on staff housing, but haven't really looked into it. It kinda depends on your ma and sis on that one.

If you bring your bike, bring everything to repair you have! Don't plan on buying anything for your bike up there as the pricing is bonkers...

Good luck if you go man. I have to pass this year... Jealous!

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
Have fun. I went up at the end of August and it rained our last day there. Luckily, we had already packed and weren't riding that day.

Between myself and a friend it took about 18 hours from drive from Roseville (NorCal) and that was with just one stop in at Bellvue(sp), Washington to see my aunt.

I took 2 riding shorts, 2 jerseys, jacket, sweatshirt, 2 iPods, etc etc. We had two tool boxes and no extra wheelsets or anything big as we couldn't fit it in the 4Runner....we used part of the rear cargo as a sleeping area while the other drove.

I remember staying in a condo about 5 minutes away. It had a full size fridge, 2 rooms and washer and dryer.

I hope I can get up there this summer before I deploy to the sand box....we'll see as I barely have enough time between work and the training etc that needs to be done before we go.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Rent a condo out side of 'town' a bit. North village, Montebello...maybe up by blackcomb. The village proper can be a little loud at night for those other than up there to party. Check here: http://www.alluradirect.com/whistler/ there are a bunch of owner direct rentals of private properties. The furthest away will be a couple minute pedal to the lifts or a 10 min max walk to the heart of the village. There are lots of things to do and see up there. Shopping, river rafting, zip-lines, hiking, sight seeing, multiple lakes for swimming/hangin out....if nothing else, it is beautiful county!

Mid July thru september are pretty good bets weather wise. You may get some clouds or showers rolling through, but most likely nothing like early season multi-day rain or cold temps.

Parts are $$$. Tires are $100 - 130 cad...last time I looked at DH tubes up there they were close to $20.... Some Canadian parts and clothes are OK price wise, every thing else is insane!!!

I will think of more info and post more later....

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
you can ship your bike to one of the various shops beforehand if you plan on flying. pack spares and consumables. whistler is hard on bikes. spare fork and shock would not be a bad idea, and definitely anything that is particular to your bike ie wierd hardware, der. hanger, pivot stuff, etc.
should be way cheaper to drive 3 people than fly, you just have to decide if you can spare the time and if your family members can handle it.
second not staying near the village.

Last edited:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Give me a call or Email if you need help. I've set up dozens of Whistler trips (both for crazy groups of guys and small families), and I guarantee I can save you money - and a billion headaches - over booking the trip yourself. Lodging, flights (if necessary), airport transfers (if necessary), lift tickets, bike transportation, off-the-mountain activities, even restaurant recommendations ... I can help you with any/all of that, and I'm happy to do it for a fellow Monkey!

--John P.
207-221-2945

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I had decent luck at the Tantalus Lodge. They rent suites. We were four guys, one in the master bedroom, two in the second room (with two single beds) and one on the couch. There was a living room, dining room and kitchen. It may be cheaper than two hotel rooms, and you can cook some of your own meals.

I went mid-August, just after C-Works, and it was perfect weather. Three to four days is just about right for riding in Whislter. Any more than that and you might get bored. And then you could start exploring the trails outside the Whistler in Pemberton and Squamish... (though you'd need to hire a guide or hook up w locals for shuttles).

Good luck getting out there, it's totally worth it....

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
My 2cents, as this is what I did last time I went:

When to go: August

Where to stay: research VRBO.com. Find a place that suits you and your needs. I got a 2bdrm condo across the street from the grocery store/liqour/shopping, had its own hot tub, plus the condo complex pool/tub. Had our own underground, locked parking, And it was a short ride to the lift.

Since it sounds like you're driving, take your tools and spare parts. Brake pads, der cables/housing, tubes/tires. Better safe than sorry.

If you can, try to do some of the classic rides outside of Whistler mtn. Def worth the extra effort.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Look into flying into Seattle and renting a car. It will be much cheaper and probably cost about the same.

Check out the Westin. Last year, we got a killer deal. First 3 days were normal price, but after that I think we paid ~$100/night.
If you are staying with non-bike riding women, this is a great place.
August is good, but can be dusty. Sept has better riding, but more risk of rain. Hence the better dirt.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I'm thinking about heading out there this year too. Maybe around september. 21 hour drive. I don't want to rent a bike. Mine is all valved and sprung for my weight and i really don't want to get used to a different bike while riding that stuff up there. Just figuring out if i'm really going to head out there or not. Long arse drive, and a lot of time off work.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Wow, thanks so much for all the help! I will continue to research the trip with some sort of guideline.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
August is the only time I've been to ride Whistler, and it can be anywhere from cool and rainy (just ask Zark) to hot and dusty. I've done six trips so far and they have all been good. The first four, I went up and did the Summer Gravity Camp with Shandro and it was a blast to be able to rip with the pros and a built-in group of riding buds. They cover you for airport pickup and hotel stay and 2 meals a day and lift passes. It used to be super cheap (as these things go) but it has become less so.

A few years back, I went with some buds from Seattle and me and the LA crew flew to Seattle and did the drive. We stayed at the Tantalus Lodge (same place as the Gravity Camp) which is dang close to the base of the mountain; just a 5 minute pedal. They have a bike garage at the hotel, so bring a lock, as other hotel guests will have access to the storage area (they don't let bikes in the rooms). The place was nice and not horribly expensive.

Last year, we did the same trip and my bud found a condo in the village (less than a 10 minute pedal) for something that was stupid cheap; I can't remember the exact price, but it was SILLY. We had two upstairs bedrooms, a downstairs bedroom, a kitchen, laundry facilility, and a livingroom with cable. Not sure how he found it, but there are tons of people who own condos up there that rent them out. PM me if you want and I'll hunt down the place my bud found for us.

The drive is lots of wear and tear. It does give you options of seeing the country side along the way, including stopping at the North Shore :D Flying isn't that bad. I've done it so many times now that I have a system and I don't sweat the fees (of course, I light my cigars with $100 bills... and I don't even smoke).

Hit me with a PM if you want to chat and I'll shoot you my number. If you have Zark's, drop him a line, as he will have some good info too.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
I had decent luck at the Tantalus Lodge. They rent suites. We were four guys, one in the master bedroom, two in the second room (with two single beds) and one on the couch. There was a living room, dining room and kitchen. It may be cheaper than two hotel rooms, and you can cook some of your own meals.

I went mid-August, just after C-Works, and it was perfect weather. Three to four days is just about right for riding in Whislter. Any more than that and you might get bored. And then you could start exploring the trails outside the Whistler in Pemberton and Squamish... (though you'd need to hire a guide or hook up w locals for shuttles).

Good luck getting out there, it's totally worth it....
DO NOT STAY AT THE TANTALUS LODGE.

i stayed there a couple years ago. during my trip 11 bikes got stolen from their lockup in one night, including mine and 3 of my friends bikes. our trip was essentially ruined..but it didn't stop there!

not only did they give my friends whos bikes didn't get stolen **** for taking their bikes in their rooms after the theft the hotel decided retracting their offer of free (roached ****box) rental bikes to make up for their initial stupidity of telling us their second bike lockup was safe was the right thing to do. we had to fight the bitchy manager to get the rental offer again.

and finally, they washed their hands of any responsibility saying they can't be held responsible for thefts from their "secure bike storage facilities"

DO NOT STAY AT THE TANTALUS LODGE.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
^^^ is possible (S.G.D.'s post) Buyer Beware. YMMV.

BTW - I meant to chime in and say that riding during Crankworx was much better than I expected. There were few trail closures for events and the mid-week riding on the hill wasn't very crowded. There are some cool booths to check out, particularly as the weekend comes around, and being able to see the village bustling with life makes it more interesting. Seeing mofos live pulling BIG AIR in the Bone Yard is pretty awesome.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I would definately weigh the time for driving vs the time spent at your destination via flying. You also will want to look at the differences in $$ flying to Vancouver (plus a 2 hr cab/bus ride) versus flying to Seattle and a 5 hour drive from sea-tac. Really depends on what your (all parties) priorities are.

I would STRONGLY agree with the general bike theft issues in the village proper (some years are 'OK, some are awful). Most larger hotel/condo building right in the village will 'make' you put your bike in their storage area...and offer zero security or guarantee of property protection. I have almost never stayed at a 'village' rental that did not charge extra for daily parking as well. $15/day is pretty typical. Just more reasons to get a condo/private rental out of the village if you can.

Definitely find some of the valley trails as well... there are many great areas outside of the mt/bike park...as well as all up and down the sea-to-sky highway!

If there is anything I can do for you here in Seattle, just let me know.

MattP.

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Any ideas about CAMPING?

I'm a poor college student going to school in Bellingham and plan on driving up to Whistler most weekends during summer school? Any suggestions for a tent site within 20 minutes or so of Whistler? Does such a thing exist?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Any ideas about CAMPING?
maye you could ask buildyourown...

It will be much cheaper and probably cost about the same.
But seriously, I've heard that camping will be difficult this year because of all the Olympic building. Some of the usual campsites have been turned into construction sites, roads etc. I'm not local so with a little luck someone'll respond to you, but my best advice would be to get a British Columbia road map. BC has some free campsites along their highways and they are indicated on the road maps (but not on GPS software).

You could always sleep in your vehicle in the parking lot, or find a good looking young local willing to take you in. :pirate2:

Good luck...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The tantalus lodge has since been purchased (this winter) by the Delta hotel chain, which runs a ton of super nice hotels across Canada. I have always stayed at the Delta Whistler Suites and always had a great time. I also stay in Delta's across Canada. It may be worth finding reviews since the change?

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
Any ideas about CAMPING?

I'm a poor college student going to school in Bellingham and plan on driving up to Whistler most weekends during summer school? Any suggestions for a tent site within 20 minutes or so of Whistler? Does such a thing exist?
20 minutes i highly doubt but i am very interested to hear about this as well.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Any ideas about CAMPING?

There is a fair bit of info about cheap lodging at nsmb.com. A simple search via google would have given you some info as well.

Closest camping: http://www.whistlercamping.com/home.html ..essentially in whistler although it seems as if tent camping is no longer offered....???

Brandywine falls is south of whistler by about 15km...dont know anything about current offerings.

Highway construction has affected many things up there for the last few years and will continue through 2010. You should check week to week conditions/issues before you leave.

Some of the back parking lots have been 'ok' for camping in a vehicle on and off over the last few years... this is not offically approved, so you may or may not get kicked out....

Last edited:

RPG

Monkey
Jun 14, 2004
All over New England
I went through John P. for my trip to Whistler and it was a breeze. He took care of everything (airlines, tickets, lodging, transfers, park pass), and he knows the area very well. Not that the other posters don't. Give it a shot, you'll see how smooth he can make things. And no, I am not a paid actor, but an actual customer. He even hooked us up with a cool heli trip too. I forgot about that.

FYI, it was less to go through John than to do everything over the internet.

my 2 cents

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I sent John P. an e-mail yesterday, so I think I'll do that while bearing in mind all the other advice here.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So it looks like I'll be heading to Whistler from August 11-19...that means I can see the Crankworx slopestyle and race the Candian Open while I'm there! :D

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
For the established:

You're definitely better off going through someone that knows the area than doing the whistlerlodgingco.com, etc route. There's a ****load of timeshares that people rent out for pennies on the dollar in summer. My parents have gotten to know where to look up there and we usually score a 3 story, 6 bedroom w/ hottub condo right outside of town for about $150/night during TELUS... my family doesn't make a lot of kash, and there is no way on god's green ****ing earth we could afford anything a 1/6th of that size during that week if it wasn't for playing the timeshare game.

For the dirtbags checking this thread (i.e. MattP).

As a non-local whose had a seasons' pass every year since 2003, and has never made much money (college student + bike mech = so ****ing broke), here's a few things I've learned.

BUY BOOZE BEFORE YOU GET TO CANADA. IT COSTS SOOOO MUCH...and their beer sucks (except Wildcat).

Employee housing can be really cheap - sometimes. Don't bank on it.

Paying for camping is for chumps. You can park your rig in the O'night lot, disassemble and hide your bikes under the mound of beer cans and liquor bottles + filthy riding gear you'll certainly have to deal with - or drop your bike off in the woods, lock it to a tree and hide it under bushes on your last run of the day and then walk out. To put yourself somewhere when night comes, there are usually four great options:

1) Get super loaded in the village, fall down in the woods next to the parking lots or in the bike park, wake up at sunrise, poach a pool to shower, then shred. (Caution: Watch for turds/tampons).

2) Get super loaded in the village, find a big group of professionalish 25-45 year olds, strike up a conversation and make some connections or pretend you know one of them - party til 2 then crash at their place and eat their food/use their shower in the morning while they're sleeping in. (note: usually REALLY easy method).

3) Get super loaded in the village and eye up an easy to get bittie whose up for the night from Vancouver to party with her girlfriends (older the better) - again it's Whistler so it's totally okay to compromise your standards/morals. (This is the riskiest method, but has the highest potential reward...try to use some form of judgment on this one - I've had close calls).

4) If it's truly pissing rain and you don't wanna risk it, go to one of the main-village hotels around 6 or 7 and see what they have. Rooms can usually be found under $100 in the summer (other than Cworx), so when you split it 10 ways, it's not too much cash. The Coast and the one above the liquor store in the Market both seem to consistently work well.