Quantcast

How to feed a party for cheap?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am organizing a small party for friends after Critical Mass this Friday.

Any recommendations for keeping the budget tight for some hungry people? I like to feed about 10 people for under $30, but I don't see how that can be done.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Go to the local airport and see if they will let you have the used barf bags. Get everyone pissed and hand them out as party loot bags.... They'll never know! ;)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
It can definitely be done. It's actually not too tough to make a good meal for a large group and inexpensively. I might suggest homemade macaroni & cheese with a salad & bread. I have a great recipe and am pretty sure it will come in under budget if you shop wisely.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Another pasta, you should be able to do it for around $30.

3 lbs pasta
2 jars of oil packed sun dried tomatoes (I like lots of stuff, so I use one jar per pound of pasta it could be a bit much for some people though)
2 containers of oil packed feta (again, I use 1 container per pound)
1 jar capers
2 or 3 loaves of bread

Start cooking the pasta.

While the pasta is cooking drain and save the oil from the sun dried tomatoes, then chop them up. Chop or crumble the feta saving the oil. Drain the capers. Slice the bread.

Take one third of the oil from the tomatoes put it on a plate with some finely chopped sun dried tomatoes and a little salt. Dip the bread in this.

Toss the pasta with with the remaining tomato oil, the feta oil and all of the other ingredients.

If you're fast you can probably do it all in around half an hour.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Make your own pizza. Can be done for SUPER cheap. You can feed way more than ten people with 30 bucks worth of homemade pizza. you gotta make the dough to get the super deal though.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i simmer them in a curry base.

lentil logs are hardy creatures....they appear in the morning.

maybe i should have rightfully assigned the cost of the lentil-smeared TP to the party goers.