Quantcast

How to get a bike to whistler?

searching7

Chimp
Mar 3, 2005
I'm going to whistler later on this summer, but I am not sure how to get my bike there. I want to take it on the plane with me, but I don't know where to find a hard case to carry it. I'm leary about putting it in a bike box. Any suggestions?

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
searching7 said:
I'm going to whistler later on this summer, but I am not sure how to get my bike there. I want to take it on the plane with me, but I don't know where to find a hard case to carry it. I'm leary about putting it in a bike box. Any suggestions?
get a big cardboard bike shipping box (with two or three cardboard dividers), remove wheels, remove fork (put all small parts in a ziplock) - wrap fork in old towel (use towel for cleaning bike etc) - put two of the cardboard dividers (they come with the bike boxes) on the outside edge of the inside of the box - they will protect everything when (or if) your box is torn in transit....take an old blanket, wrap the frame in it - drop into box - now put everything else in (seat/post, pedals, wheels) - pad everything with your body armor and clothing - put tools, camelback - anything you can fit in that box (you will have to pay at least $50 each way to ship it on the plane, so you may as well make it worthwhile and keep your bag from being overweight)

tape it up loosely (they will open it at the airport to inspect, but ask them to tape it back up REALLY well (I've seen them come off the plane open, spilling gear everywhere....

put bike back together in BC, ride until you can't ride anymore
repeat for trip back - this time put all your smelly sweaty clothes in the box too....

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Check with the airline about how many bags you can bring, the largest size, and if (like most) they have a specific charge for bicycles. It will often be more expensive and more of a hassle to bring it on the plane than to just ship it to a shop like Evolution.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
OGRipper said:
Check with the airline about how many bags you can bring, the largest size, and if (like most) they have a specific charge for bicycles. It will often be more expensive and more of a hassle to bring it on the plane than to just ship it to a shop like Evolution.
No way.... flying with it, even if there's extra baggage charge (about $50) is way easier. And airlines don't always remember to charge you. I've done 8 flights with my bike. I've only paid extra 3 times.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
The Kadvang said:
Bike box it like me.
some airports will make you (or they will) open the box to inspect the content. Evey single time I've flown with my bike they have opened the box up. Once I had locks on the zippers and they told me "you should probably take those off or we're going to have to cut them when inspecting the content of the box"

if you check in early enough – they will let you re-tape your box if you want to make sure it’s properly packed.

Edit: and I'm with MMike! Bike(s) fly with me - ALWAYS.

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
I just went out there and the bike box method was great going out....but when we got to the Vancouver airport to fly home we were told that the box had to be under 70lbs to be considered a bike ( apparently some stupid canadian workers comp regulation I was told)...even though I opened it to show them it was clearly a bike. It had to be under 100lbs to even get on the plane at all and over 70 lbs I got ganked for a 150.00 surecharge for " overweight" baggage. I would suggest this...flying out, box it all up in a good box as some have suggested...for the ride hom, if you box will be in excess of 70 pounds, have a spare large duffle bag you can stick the tires, tubes and maybe the fork into so you can get it under the 70lbs

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Mine was over 90 lbs. And they didn't charge me. This was also at YVR

(The bottom line, different airliness and ticket agents will enforce rules based on their mood and how long the line is behind you. Nobody asked me what my big box was. It was just a big plastic box as far as they were concerned. They tagged it. Made me haul it over to special services, and i was done)

searching7

Chimp
Mar 3, 2005
Thanks for all the info. I think I'll box it and pad it good. I feel a lot better about taking it on the plane now. Thanks again.

MrWolf

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
What airline charged the $150??

We got double charged flying TO Idaho from San Diego on Delta. Coming back they didn't weigh anything.

It seems like it totally depends on the airline -- or even just who's working the counter.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
The bigger question is once the bike gets in Whistler is.....

"How to keep bike in Whislter?"

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
MrWolf said:
What airline charged the $150??

We got double charged flying TO Idaho from San Diego on Delta. Coming back they didn't weigh anything.

It seems like it totally depends on the airline -- or even just who's working the counter.

Air Canada...yeah probably does figure on whos pissy and whos not. Figures I got the pissy guy and a bad day

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
You can buy a bike box from me. I know i've talked about it before but when I get my bike back from UPS, I'm gonna post up some pictures and maybe try selling them.

Details to follow, T-pirate has used his on 3 or 4 trips over 3-4 years and no problems yet.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
auntesther said:
Air Canada...yeah probably does figure on whos pissy and whos not. Figures I got the pissy guy and a bad day
I was gonna say above "you must have flown with air canada"...air canada sucks monkey nuts, overcharges and offers no services. With harmony (much smaller so you might not have the same access) you can fly here from TO and pay 30$ for a bike.

air canada's union is what set the weight to 70pounds. Not all of canada :D

Pack it as well as you can and when they inspect it, claim its an off road wheelchair. if its packed up really well, they wont ask any questions. thats what a friend of mine did, but iv only flown into Vancouver once, and it was without a bike, so im not sure what the regs are like

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Roasted said:
I was gonna say above "you must have flown with air canada"...air canada sucks monkey nuts, overcharges and offers no services. With harmony (much smaller so you might not have the same access) you can fly here from TO and pay 30$ for a bike.

air canada's union is what set the weight to 70pounds. Not all of canada :D
While I agree Air Canada sucks monkey nuts, it was with that very airline that I travelled and have rarely been charged for my bike.

But I'm a pretty charming guy when I want to be....