Quantcast

how to install apps if you are not admin (win2000)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
any work-arounds? i got a new machine, but i can't load stuff. :mumble:

edit - this is a work machine, if you hadn't guessed. i wanna load my mp3 software and other crap like that. also, i did install EAC, but for some reason it doesn't recognize my cd drive. what's up w/ that??? any other good ripper programs?

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Is this on a W2K domain? It's possible that the admin has enable the "disable any media source for install" option under Group Policy - is it possible to copy the content of the CD to your harddrive and run the install from there?

P.S. I'd wring someone's f***ing neck if they did (installed anything) this on my network - just a warning

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I've noticed that if you are listed as a debug user (I think that only happens in WinXP though) you can upgrade yourself as a local administrator with no administrative rights on the domain/computer :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
s1ngletrack said:
Is this on a W2K domain? It's possible that the admin has enable the "disable any media source for install" option under Group Policy - is it possible to copy the content of the CD to your harddrive and run the install from there?

P.S. I'd wring someone's f***ing neck if they did (installed anything) this on my network - just a warning
that sounds like a good idea, and i'll try to install when the machine is not hooked to the network.

ps - what kind of network clash could occur by my loading an app on my local machine?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Nothing will happen to the network unless you are going to start doing something bandwidth intensive or something that opens your computer up to security issues.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
narlus said:
that sounds like a good idea, and i'll try to install when the machine is not hooked to the network.

ps - what kind of network clash could occur by my loading an app on my local machine?
It just makes for bad policy (having end-users installing personal stuff) - it shouldn't be an issue in your case, but it is an issue if someone is downloading screensavers from the web or should happen to have anything even remotely related to Kazaa or the like. I clean an incredible amount of sh1t off of the computers here, and I've got things locked down fairly well.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
It's more likely that your user account is locked down and you will not be able to install anything on that PC (or any other), connected to a network or not. You would need (Like someone already said) super user permissions, or be able to log in to the machine as the local administrator (you would need the password) What you can try is to see if you have some kind of network storage type drive that you can save stuff to. Typically you would have "change control" permissions on that which would allow you to install there. Of course any half way decent network admin will be cheking for installed programs on a regular basis and delete them.

Maybe you should just bring in a CD player/boom box. :)

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
"Of course any half way decent network admin will be cheking for installed programs on a regular basis and delete them."

Only after screwing your thumbs to the floor though.

It isn't uncommon to find machines with no password set for the local admin account - which, if the computer is disconnected from it's domain (this assumes that the admin is smart enough to change the name of the domain admin acct from the default in the first place) may well be the default "Administrator" - try this w/ no password while logging onto the local machine.