Quantcast

How to Remove XTR Spider?

Cyto

Chimp
Aug 6, 2002
Scottsdale, Az
It has come time to replace the rings on my XTR crankset(4bolt) and I bought a new 5 bolt (cheaper rings) spider but I can't seem to get the bolt holding the larger ring/spider off my crank arms.

I sprayed WD40 and I'm letting it sit a while to soak in. I have removed the C-Clip, small ring and I'm using the Shimano BB tool with a 32mm wrench to leverage it Counter Clockwise? (is this the right direction?)

Thanks I want to get this thing off tonight so I can go riding tomorrow with my new Evil DRS chainguide and new rings!

Thanks,
Chris

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
If you remembered to remove the c-clip I can't think of anyhing else. It is right threaded so counter clockwise should do it. My tool came with an axle so that you coud bolt it to the crank arm. That keeps it from slipping so you can really crank on the lockring. If yours didn't come with that, I suggest you rig something similar up with a bolt, nut and some washers. It WILL come off...

Good luck.

madbiker

Chimp
Jul 6, 2001
Nor Cal
Um, I can't think of anything else that would help. You got the right tool. Mine came with the BBT-8 (Dunno why). Maybe more leverage?:confused:

Cyto

Chimp
Aug 6, 2002
Scottsdale, Az
ahh I always wondered what that other tool was.. I'll try to rig that up. It was really hard trying to put leverage while holding that BB tool onto the splines. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't tightening it..

This is when I wish I had a vise to hold the crank tight (but not too tight since XTR's are hollow.)

Thanks for pointing out the missing step!
Chris

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Cyto
ahh I always wondered what that other tool was.. I'll try to rig that up. It was really hard trying to put leverage while holding that BB tool onto the splines. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't tightening it..

This is when I wish I had a vise to hold the crank tight (but not too tight since XTR's are hollow.)

Thanks for pointing out the missing step!
Chris
You don't need a vice for it, just takes a little muscle to remove.

Cyto

Chimp
Aug 6, 2002
Scottsdale, Az
Thanks I just tried out the setup and it does require muscle and the other right tool (a real 32mm socket and enough leverage) so off to the hardware store I go.

Thanks,
Chris