Quantcast

How to set up my p2 for bmx/mtnx

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
I have been mtnbiking on my p2 for a while and I realized a few things when I attended my first bmx race on it in the cruiser class, 1, I need to use my clips, 2. I need a good front tire, i just got a high roller 2.1 rear, but i have a large spec. 2.5 in the front- it buckled under when I was cornering causing a crash in my first moto, and also it has alot of rolling resistance. ANy suggestions on tires/ sizes, waabout the holly rollers? Next, I need a new chainguide. my chain fell off when I was warming up twice. the boxguide is a peice, but i want to know what size to buy my chainguide, ( ringwise) how would a 42 t sound for racing? any overall tips on setup would be helpful, By the way, Bmx people are crazy fast, and it is really fun to go out and have fun even if you dont win or place anything. :thumb: o yeah I also need a front brake! any 6 inch rotor donations aprriciated, can trade for my 8 inch, dang manitou post mounts.. :mumble:

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
UHH, a P-2 could be perfect for racing with the right set up. I suggest a WTB WeirWolf 2.3 or 2.1 front tire, they're light, roll super fast, and hook up extrememly well. don't get a 42 t sprocket for racing MtnX/BMX... bad idea. I had a box guide for 2 years, and never lost my chain once, you must have it set up wrong. keep the bottom roller tight, and on top, make sure the slider is tight enough to just let the chain through, but not so tight that it provides resistance. Also a major problem could be that your Bottom bracket cup is too loose on the drive side, make sure you get the guide in the right spot, and then tighten that bad boy down as much as you can. AND as far as front brakes go, it is necessary for MtnX (damn rules) but for bmx, most just run a rear v-brake, a rear disc is way more then capible. Besides, it will encourage you to STAY OFF the brakes, and to manouver with PEDALS! (much faster, trust me) In fact your brakes should be there for emergency only, otherwise pretend you don't have any!

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
stubby said:
I have been mtnbiking on my p2 for a while and I realized a few things when I attended my first bmx race on it in the cruiser class, 1, I need to use my clips, 2. I need a good front tire, i just got a high roller 2.1 rear, but i have a large spec. 2.5 in the front- it buckled under when I was cornering causing a crash in my first moto, and also it has alot of rolling resistance. ANy suggestions on tires/ sizes, waabout the holly rollers? Next, I need a new chainguide. my chain fell off when I was warming up twice. the boxguide is a peice, but i want to know what size to buy my chainguide, ( ringwise) how would a 42 t sound for racing? any overall tips on setup would be helpful, By the way, Bmx people are crazy fast, and it is really fun to go out and have fun even if you dont win or place anything. :thumb: o yeah I also need a front brake! any 6 inch rotor donations aprriciated, can trade for my 8 inch, dang manitou post mounts.. :mumble:
Clips not neccessary til u get faster and very controlled.
If your tire folds use more pressure. Arrows are bad ass tires for BMX and mtnx.
Your chainguide/box guide should be good, check the alignment. I would suggest singlespeed for bmx. If you're gonna keep the derail. go w/ a SRAM X9.
42 too big! try a 34.
Front brake for bmx(no)/ mtnx(yes). Hopefully you have a aftermarket fork. Upgrade a little at a time. The important thing is you have fun win or lose!

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
You might want to use two different chains.

One for general riding, and a shortened one just for racing. Because you don't need full use of a cassette when you're racing.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Yeah, I forgot to mention above, if you are racing on pure bmx tracks, Arrow launches work great! Same with Halo Twin rails (check em out at www.unrealcycles.com)

Also, you may want to consider not useing clips until you start racing in the more elite classes. Flats work fine, and help you to ride smoother. Once you start racing expert or whatever the equlivent is in BMX you will probably want to start useing clips.