Quantcast

How's the riding in GA?

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Hey guys,

Velocity Girl and myself are moving from Seattle, WA to Atlanta, GA and I'm wondering if there's any decent riding just outside of Atlanta?

Thanks!

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
As PCC said, you'll have tons of XC within close range. The nearest big mountain riding is 3.5 hours north at Windrock but we have some smaller runs opening soon not far outside of metro ATL.

I'm one of two guys from GA who routinely makes the haul up to Snowshoe, Diablo, etc...for races so drop me a PM if you guys are looking to race. You should also register at ridesofa.org (local FR/DJ/DH chapter) and get in on the forum action there.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
welcome to the krunk!

i'm sure you'll find this on the link jeff posted but there is a fun little freeride park in cumming, ga...not too far from atlanta. i hear that there are plans for some major expansion as well.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
ha, yeah. it's right up there with Climax, NC :D

it's too bad VA took the "virginia is for lovers" slogan because , "Cumming is for lovers" would have been awesome!.

or how about this sentence which is likely to be found in any tourism info: "Cumming, near Atlanta, is a booming town............."

TM1

Monkey
Jul 19, 2002
Central NC
ha, yeah. it's right up there with Climax, NC :D

it's too bad VA took the "virginia is for lovers" slogan because , "Cumming is for lovers" would have been awesome!.

or how about this sentence which is likely to be found in any tourism info: "Cumming, near Atlanta, is a booming town............."
You did know that there is a huge Franciscian monestary in Cumming Ga?

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I hope you like xc trails, with a couple of exeptions that's all there is here.

Bring your quad there's a lot more areas for dirtbikes and quads in GA than there are for Fr or DH.

http://www.georgiaoffroad.com/
The quads are definitely coming!!! That's one of the reasons for the move...better quad trails and better race series (GNCC here we come!!!)

I'm also looking forward to some new xc trails though so sounds like we're in luck :)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Quads...you'll be hitting Tellico.

If you're looking for a DH fix, you'll have the Sugar Mtn National if that's your "bag" and Windrock. Windrock can cure a DH jones for about 30 days.
If you're into Super D, it looks to be a growing segment here.

PCC

Chimp
Dec 4, 2003
Ga, the flat part
The quads are definitely coming!!! That's one of the reasons for the move...better quad trails and better race series (GNCC here we come!!!)

I'm also looking forward to some new xc trails though so sounds like we're in luck :)
What part of the state are you guys moving to?

The best ORV riding areas in GA are private; Durhamtown plantation, Highland park, MX country club, you can find all of them on GOR.

You'll probably want to avoid the state orv areas like tellico unless you can ride mid week or get there first thing in the morning. After 10 or 11 on the weekends they fill up with morons that like to ride two across on the trails, cut donuts and ride wheelies in the parking lots.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
being in north atl will put you close to central park. Clemson's Issaqueena forest is only 2 hours away XC heaven and we are currently building a downhill course and freeride park that should be done this spring. There are also a few ds courses in GA and SC if you meet the right people.