Quantcast

HT frame suggestions

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm seriously considering selling my BR and replacing it with a hardtail. Thing is, I can't find one I like. Here's what I want:

-BB<12.7"
-23.5-24" ETT
-HTA ~67 with a fork in the 120mm range
-and the part that makes it hard, ST right around 16". There are jump bikes with shorter seat tubes, and AM bikes with longer seat tubes, but I want to split the difference so I can still actually pedal it, and still have a whole crapload of standover. Anyone have any ideas?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Doesn't look like they make those anymore, but I could poke around for a used one I guess. Thanks.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
:spam:

Chameleon? Geo could be close depending on the A2C of whatever fork you choose and what Size you need but the Med and large are close to the numbers your looking for
The Chameleon is a bit taller and steeper than I want. Thanks though.

410mm thomson seatpost
Yeah, I probably will be running one regardless. Still want enough seat tube to go all XC on things from time to time though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, I probably will be running one regardless. Still want enough seat tube to go all XC on things from time to time though.
Just a suggestion. I had a massively long titec or syncros post on my Arrow DS-3 (which has a 13.5" seat tube) and was able to comfortably ride XC then drop it was down for jumping. Somewhere on pinkbike there's a photo of that skyscraper.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Hey you be nice, I'm driving your buddy Alan this weekend.

P.S I'm actually considering buying your Ndiza
Really? Its been a great bike for me.
Hell, drop Alan in the woods somewhere and tell him he's got a pretty mouth. Trust me, as a once TFK rookie, he knows his way around the balls. Just sayin..

Awesome! Crabjoe, you must have rep.

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
Cromag? Or custom, see JNC's stuff for inspiration.

edit: TransAm? probably too much fork to get the HA you want.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Possibly. I bought your old Ndiza ST from your ex wife.:rofl:
Yea, that doesn't surprise me too much. She was selling all of my riding stuff there for a bit when there was some question if I was coming home or not.

I need to pay for new tires for the DH bikes and some new bits for the Intense, so make me an offer north of $350 and she's yours.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I'm to lazy to check if the geo meets your specs but I am loving my Yeti DJ, size long, for jumping and trail riding.

I'm 5' 11'' and I can get full extension with a LONG seat post. It would be a little cramped for a XC epic, but for a few hours of riding it's golden.

KillerSloth

Chimp
May 15, 2009
Ragley Blue Pig (steel) or Ragley mmmBop (aluminum) is close. Small is 16" seat tube but 23" top tube, medium is 18" seat tube and 23.5" top tube.

I am about 6'1" and ride a medium Blue Pig.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
There's gotta be something to fit the bill - there are a slew of long travel HT frames in steel, AL etc. out there these days. Gotta be something for you.

The Summer Season won't work? Seems like great value right now through unrealcycles.com

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
There's gotta be something to fit the bill - there are a slew of long travel HT frames in steel, AL etc. out there these days. Gotta be something for you.

The Summer Season won't work? Seems like great value right now through unrealcycles.com
Oh, the price is good, they're just way too tall. I'm 6' with monkey arms, so I need a long TT, but my legs aren't that long, and I tend to run my seat really low, so I want a short seat tube. To give you an idea, I often run my BR with ~3" of exposed seat post, and need the room between the seat and the top tube for my knees when maneuvering, if that makes any sense. My best really local trail system has a ton of north shore-esqe skinnies and stuff, I need to get the seat down for play time on those.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I ordered a custom frame not too far off what you want, but it is a 14"ST and the TT is only 23.03" but it looks like I will never see it as I ordered it a year ago and he is shutting up shop, will I get my money and fork back? Not sure:confused:.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Oh, the price is good, they're just way too tall. I'm 6' with monkey arms, so I need a long TT, but my legs aren't that long, and I tend to run my seat really low, so I want a short seat tube. To give you an idea, I often run my BR with ~3" of exposed seat post, and need the room between the seat and the top tube for my knees when maneuvering, if that makes any sense. My best really local trail system has a ton of north shore-esqe skinnies and stuff, I need to get the seat down for play time on those.

What about something like a .243 racing frame or something along those lines?

Or an older frame like a Balfa Minuteman - Size Long - and then run it with a super tall 425mm seatpost (I think Blackspire used to and/or still does make a post that long)?

Sounds like you either have to make adjustments in seatpost offset or go to a longer stem to fit decently on a production frame though. Hrmmm.......I still think there must be something out there to fit the bill.

An older EVIL DOC won't work?

What about that yellow Chumba hardtail that's for sale in the classifieds here on RM?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'll second the On-One 456 Summer Season.

I want to pick one up myself.
I have the normal 456 but the BB is too high, with a 120mm fork I think the BB height would still be around 13.5". I run a 16" frame with 160mm forks and the bike feels great until you hit some tight berms then the whole thing just feels wrong because of the BB height.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Seat tube is just too damn long on the large.

I sent Mickey an email harassing him about when a new Metalhead will be coming. I loved the earlier gens of those. Want.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Yeah I hear ya the large looks like an old school xc bike. Mines a small so it rides sorta like a long jump bike, a bit harder to manual but not as twitchy at speed.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hab, that bike does not exist. I looked myself.
Its impossible to even find a 23.5 top tube with a 16 inch seat tube height.
If you are willing to buy an old bike, you could try to find one of those old Yeti DJ frames. (the years they made the bike with the raw finish.) It had a what you are looking for except the head angle would be around 68 with a 120 fork. The new ones have super short seat tubes likes most DJ bikes.

I swear if made properly, you could ride the same hardtail and use it for xc racing, slalom racing, Djing, the works.
Here is what I was thinking would be ideal for me:

23.5 ETT
16 ST
69 HA with a 100mm fork and 68 with 120mm
72 STA
16.5 chainstays
12.2 BB with 100 fork

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Hab, that bike does not exist. I looked myself.
Its impossible to even find a 23.5 top tube with a 16 inch seat tube height.
If you are willing to buy an old bike, you could try to find one of those old Yeti DJ frames. (the years they made the bike with the raw finish.) It had a what you are looking for except the head angle would be around 68 with a 120 fork. The new ones have super short seat tubes likes most DJ bikes.

I swear if made properly, you could ride the same hardtail and use it for xc racing, slalom racing, Djing, the works.
Here is what I was thinking would be ideal for me:

23.5 ETT
16 ST
69 HA with a 100mm fork and 68 with 120mm
72 STA
16.5 chainstays
12.2 BB with 100 fork
EXACTLY. With a couple wheelsets, and a light build, it could KILL it. Throw some really light wheels on it, and race XC on it. Go for a tougher wheelset and jump it.

That sounds dialed, but I'd go for a slightly longer TT and slacker HTA for mine.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
EXACTLY. With a couple wheelsets, and a light build, it could KILL it. Throw some really light wheels on it, and race XC on it. Go for a tougher wheelset and jump it.
not to be a negative nancy, but these things are pretty cheap...why not buy a dedicated HT for XC and one for DJ? They're kind of mutually exclusive...one is sharp fast light and nimble, the other is slack, heavy, durable, and forgiving...you're either going to have a crappy DJ build that you don't want to ditch in a wreck, or a slow XC bike that can't deal with the climbs.

Unless you're just one of those stompers that doesn't care as long as it has wheels...ie w00dy with his 32lb intense spider.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
not to be a negative nancy, but these things are pretty cheap...why not buy a dedicated HT for XC and one for DJ? They're kind of mutually exclusive...one is sharp fast light and nimble, the other is slack, heavy, durable, and forgiving...you're either going to have a crappy DJ build that you don't want to ditch in a wreck, or a slow XC bike that can't deal with the climbs.

Unless you're just one of those stompers that doesn't care as long as it has wheels...ie w00dy with his 32lb intense spider.
HAB is just a picky b*tch.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
and I'm not trying to get you to buy mine, I don't really want to ship it anyways...I'm just saying...race XC? on a DJ bike? naw dude, naw.