Quantcast

Hub, 12mm 150mm

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I looked at the Sun Ringle but they seemed too heavy.

I ended up with Chris King hubs (20mm and 150mm), but you can't go wrong with Hopes. No doubt about it.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Of those choices, Hope for sure!!!!

the ONLY thing they lack (so do your other choices) is the quicker engagement of some others (like hadley, I9, King) that are much more $$.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Hope ProII are class. Amazing value for money. They have everything except the super fast engagement the the I9s King etc have.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
The Hope may be the best of your list.
The DTSwiss 440 would also a very good choice. It doesn't have as much engagement points as the others, but it really is a top quality hub.

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
I have a Glory DH and I am using these hubs due to which is cheap and I has replace the bearing to a more high quality one. Which just cost me let than USD 10. The hub price is around USD 110 at HK.

http://www.a2zcomponents.com/distnibutor.htm

I has been using this hub almost three months, I think they have a good quality just the brand name is not really famous ONLY.

If you want to buy a new hub, I think you can select the ChrisKing or hadley due to most rider feel it and use it more than 5 - 6 years. It just need you to check or re-grease it at every year or some period of time.

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
i just put hope on my glory. pretty sweet. wanted to put a lighter axle in. the guys at giant said hadleys would fit but it doesnt. so i will probably run a maxle. my hope pro2 36h was 299g. the ringle without the brake side spacer was 445g.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
i just put hope on my glory. pretty sweet. wanted to put a lighter axle in. the guys at giant said hadleys would fit but it doesnt. so i will probably run a maxle. my hope pro2 36h was 299g. the ringle without the brake side spacer was 445g.
Give Hadley a call, I am sure they can set you up with an axle to fit. They make a LOT of OEM axles with all kinds of diameters, threads, lengths and attachments............

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Short of Tune (delicate and crazy money) Hope is the lightest 150mm hub you can buy that I know of (and I'm the kind of gimp that knows these things!) Not quite as light as you think though, most people say 300g, mine weighed in at 295.

I'd never trust CRC on weights, for instance look at the Q&A on this page: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12292 (real weight avbout 340g I believe).

I'd choose the Hope, have just bought another one for an extra wheelset.

Last edited:

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
Is any thing lighter than a Hope Pro ? 285g I think.
the tune Kong hub which is later than Hope pro II around 30 - 40g but I think the monkey will not buy it. My personal feeling the tune product which is not suitable for using in Dh field...

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
just a reminder: hope pro 2 hubs have a aluminium freehub body. this means that you should use quality cassettes with an alu spider (Shimano XT, SRAM PG990....) steel cassettes will butcher the freehub body!
i run hope pro 2 hubs. no complaints so far, but the rear hub is REALLY loud. if this should bother you, choose another hub.

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
just a reminder: hope pro 2 hubs have a aluminium freehub body. this means that you quality cassettes with an alu spider (Shimano XT, SRAM PG990....) steel cassettes will butcher the freehub body!
i run hope pro 2 hubs. no complaints so far, but the rear hub is REALLY loud. if this should bother you, choose another hub.
Yep, I use dura ace cassettes and the individual cogs do dig in a bit. Not really an issue though in my mind. And yes, it's very noisy!

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
i just put hope on my glory. pretty sweet. wanted to put a lighter axle in. the guys at giant said hadleys would fit but it doesnt. so i will probably run a maxle....
I have 3 different hangers for my Glory, do you? the one the maxle uses is threaded, but I also have one that isn't but the axle hole is closed, and one that looks more like it's for an XC bike (open dropout), except it's still steel. I don't really know what that one is for. Anyway maybe the hadley axle works with a different hanger than you have.