Quantcast

Hub dilema along with crank issue! king/hadley fsa vs middleburn!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Well there you go... not much weight added for the 83mm version at all. :)

I have to say, having tried lighter cranks, i've found myself winding back up at saints every time. Smashing into rocks and clipping trees is just part of DH, for me anyway.... and it's one crankset I couldn't call disposable.

My last pair stood up to heaps of abuse over ~3 years (I got them as soon as they came out) and when I sold them they were still straight and running smooth.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
not sure what siants weigh, but middleburns will be considerably lighter

416 grams arms + 55 grams spider + 280 FSA Platinum DH Isis BB = 751 grams.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
FSA Platinum DH 83x128mm BB = 330g. That makes the comparable Middleburn about 200g lighter. That is considerable, but I'd personally still go with the Saints because they have pedal inserts, are basically indestructible, and they aren't ISIS.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
well if you want a lite set of 83mm cranks and money is no option i would get the eatern ti 3 piece cranks(400 grams i believe with bb) or a set of deity (you said you liked white) cranks and bb, add a fsa ti bb and knight ti crank bolts and you will be lighter than 99% of the set ups out their. i ran/run this set up on three bikes, soon to be 4, and have never had a problem and i downright abuse my **** like its my bastard red headed stepchild
Yo, Dex - I wasn't able to make out which cranks you were refering to in the boldface type... did you mean "Eastern" or "Easton"???

Just curious.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
btw the estern ti cranks are 400 grams just for the arm. you still need spindle and bb for it to work. i beleave to whole setup is still over 900 grams and that is not with a spider. it also seem that they are no longer avalible.

i say go for the fsa they are more than proven enough and are cheap to boot. as for the hub go for the hope. its just solid (though i have it on my xc bike) it really really light and built to last because every time they redesign their hubs they only get better and better.

btw hadley is no longer making the 108 point hubs for a number of reason but it appears that they are making it 72 point now (bti says that atleast)

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i thought the easterns were 400'ish iwth bb. anyways deity with ti is going to be your lightest set up possible as afr as i know. take 63 grams less than saint subtract the ti stuff and your light and in destructable (only three paris of cranks i know that have been broken and two by big guys who ride HARD)

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
i thought the easterns were 400'ish iwth bb. anyways deity with ti is going to be your lightest set up possible as afr as i know. take 63 grams less than saint subtract the ti stuff and your light and in destructable (only three paris of cranks i know that have been broken and two by big guys who ride HARD)
Dietiy's are 2.3lbs claimed. Thats without a spider. Adding in a Ti spindle will get you close (about 150g less) so unless you've got some other number I say they're close to saints, but not quite there yet.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Be careful with the DT rims. I have a set of DT/hugi dh hubs, same as the 440s laced to 6.1d 32h and I have found the rims to be really soft. Some other guys I know where complaining about the same thing. Good thing is they bend/ding and haven't cracked. I am most likely going to relace them with Sun MTXs or 729s

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Be careful with the DT rims. I have a set of DT/hugi dh hubs, same as the 440s laced to 6.1d 32h and I have found the rims to be really soft. Some other guys I know where complaining about the same thing. Good thing is they bend/ding and haven't cracked. I am most likely going to relace them with Sun MTXs or 729s
I talked to jeff today at Industry nine, he said the same thing. If I have issues call him and DT is taking care of it.
He also said the ex729 will lace right up the these no problem same spokes and all. So there will be some mavics on these by spring.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
when i got my first set of deity cranks we tossed them up on the scale along with a set of diabolus and saints and the deity set up came out lighter than the other two, just cant remember how much. then we added the ti spindle and ti knight bolts and weighted them next to a holzfeller set up with bb bolts and the dh bb. deity came out lighter their too. spider adds a bit of weight, or if you run an lg1 you can run a solid chainwheel and machine the hell out of it so its weights nothing

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Now you chime in, I tried to caall you earlier this week to get some middleburns or cost and info on some to order.
Got gaps instead for the moment, pm me if ya got a deal on any or ANSWER your phone. I am impatient. :D
Oh yeah, Hey B.
I wouldn't buy'em from that Brian character... ;)

J

J5ive

Look sorta like just a rebadged fsa number. And whats with the one size fits all pedal holes? A 165 crank should be shorter, not just drilled higher up!

Still, good to see some people thinking light. I'm loving my middleburns, but without a lightweight 125/7mm bb, my weight savings are minimal.

I'm still trying to work out how they can offer such a light crankarm? is it the shape or material that is unique? Why aren't other cranks as light?

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Those funn cranks look really nice. I wouldnt worry about 7075, it seems to work fine on nearly every high end crankset out there.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
rilly?

i think they look el cheapazoid deluxe

that detail with how they just drill the pedal hole at different places is 100% ghetto, IMO, good for someone out of a garage.

FSA does this too. It doesnt bother me....still gets your pedal out of the way. Finally, someone makes a light crankset in 83mm with external bearings in 165mm. Sounds perfect.