Quantcast

Hub keeps winding loose!

Nizmeister

"Manchild"
Jul 3, 2001
Does anyone know of any reason why my hub keeps coming loose? Ihave only noticed this in the last three months. I can tighten it up, and then in about three weeks it is loose again?

Nizmeister

"Manchild"
Jul 3, 2001
Shimano Alivio, I am using the correct tool and tighten up the bearing cushion to the point that if I go tighter the bearings are choked, then tightening up the lock nut.

This should be enough, but low and behold, they loosen up. Maybe, this one of bikes features!

First off let's make sure you have all teh correct tools.
(1) 15mm cone wrench(nothing else will do!)
(1) 17mm open end wrench or adjustable end wrench

To make things really easy you could rip off the cogset....but not totally ness. to do this.

Loosen up the non-drive side quite a bit. Back the lock-nut and cone way off, so much so that you can pull the drive side out enough to access the 15mm cone and lock-nut on the drive side.

Now make sure the drive side is good and locked down. Pretty much as hard as you can.

Once that is completed move over to the non-drive side.

Turn the cone and lock-nut down onto the bearings finger tight. Then grab your cone wrench and adj. end wrench and tighten the two together as hard as you can.

There should be a little bit of play in the hub now, which will disapear when you lock down the Q.R.

If you are doing this all correctly it really can't come loose, unless the threads on the axle are damaged in some way or the hub bearing cup is collapsing in towards the center of the hub, but I really doubt that.

All else fails take it to a shop and pay the 6-10 bucks and have them gaurantee it from then on.

Good luck.

Nizmeister

"Manchild"
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by Internal14
First off let's make sure you have all teh correct tools.
(1) 15mm cone wrench(nothing else will do!)
(1) 17mm open end wrench or adjustable end wrench

To make things really easy you could rip off the cogset....but not totally ness. to do this.

Loosen up the non-drive side quite a bit. Back the lock-nut and cone way off, so much so that you can pull the drive side out enough to access the 15mm cone and lock-nut on the drive side.

Now make sure the drive side is good and locked down. Pretty much as hard as you can.

Once that is completed move over to the non-drive side.

Turn the cone and lock-nut down onto the bearings finger tight. Then grab your cone wrench and adj. end wrench and tighten the two together as hard as you can.

There should be a little bit of play in the hub now, which will disapear when you lock down the Q.R.

If you are doing this all correctly it really can't come loose, unless the threads on the axle are damaged in some way or the hub bearing cup is collapsing in towards the center of the hub, but I really doubt that.

All else fails take it to a shop and pay the 6-10 bucks and have them gaurantee it from then on.

Good luck.
Not using a cone wrench! Maybe I am not tightening as much as I should!

Gonna take the bike for a full service.

Tanks for the adv.