Quantcast

Hubs

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
What's your favorite 20mm front hub? Please explain why. Things I like: hubs that spin :D , hubs that don't break apart where the spokes attach, light hubs (weight weenie), and shiny parts. I'm going to start putting together a new front wheel for my DH bike to replace the AtomLab Trailpimp anchor that I've had going. The AtomLab hub has been strong, but it doesn't spin very freely. It's going on a RS Boxxer WC on a Specialized BigHit with Hayes Brakes ridden by a 200lb amateur.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
My fave is the Hope BigUn hubset.

When it comes to front hubs, as long as they are sealed bearings they are pretty much all the same. Just pick your colour. I like the Hopes because they have a larger flange for mounting the spokes. They are a little heavier, but the large flanges build up a stronger wheel than your average hub. There is an ample amount of ti in the rear hub to offset the weight difference, too, as well as them using a lighter rotor due to them using the Hope five-bolt pattern.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
HADLEY!

because i can convert it to 9/10mm and back again and easy as all hell to work on.
but i do run the Marz generic 20mm hub. never had anything wrong with it. and beaten the crap out of it.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
DHS said:
HADLEY!

because i can convert it to 9/10mm and back again and easy as all hell to work on.
but i do run the Marz generic 20mm hub. never had anything wrong with it. and beaten the crap out of it.
Yeah, I've never been too much into spending a lot of money on a front hub. I have a set of Sun Ringles, because that's what my bike came with. However, on my DJ bike, I have a Hugi in the back and a stocker in the front...

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
"Pro Series"? Tell me more.
I have them Bulbers and they're great so far. For an extra 20 bucks you can pick up the 20mm conversion and the switch isn't much work.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Spitfired said:
"Pro Series"? Tell me more.
I have them Bulbers and they're great so far. For an extra 20 bucks you can pick up the 20mm conversion and the switch isn't much work.
I just read about this in the new DIRT magazine this morning (don't have it in front of me).

I guess the front hub is almost the same, but the rear is re-designed to allow switching between qr, 12ml, Saint compatible 10ml and maybee ... switching from 135 to 150mm width...

My memory is failing - I was eating breakfast and it was early. :think:

I'll double check when I get home.

***(edit)***

Double checked. They are actually called the Pro II Hubs.
They consolidated their bulb and xc series into one.

The front is supposedly identical to the Bulb (convertable qr to 20mm).
The rear now has 5 cartridge bearings (3 in the freehub), 24 teeth (vs old 21), and it has some sort of circular spring to hold the pawls in place.
It is convertable between qr, 12mm, and 10mm saint compatable.

The circular spring is probably to limit cursing while switching axles back and forth and dropping springs, which dissapear into your carpet. :mumble:

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay seeing as your running a boxxer wc up front there is no need for a hub with a conversion. so my suggestion is a hugi fr front hub. got mine laced to an 823 and its a tank. you will not be disapointed. :D

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
frznnomad said:
okay seeing as your running a boxxer wc up front there is no need for a hub with a conversion. so my suggestion is a hugi fr front hub. got mine laced to an 823 and its a tank. you will not be disapointed. :D
The conversion is still nice in case you break one on another bike.

Or if you've got lame friends who will only ride with you if you loan them parts. :D