Quantcast

Huge quake in chile - updates and video

Npdh

Monkey
Apr 29, 2007
ROBERTO (FREAKPOP) it's okay here in concepcion for the ones that are worried about him, he is the one that worked at VCA

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Epicentre of chili quake was 100x stronger than Haiti.
Just read that Richter scale measurements aren't really used as much anymore (maybe just news agencies for simplicity sake?), as it tends to refer only to horizontal amplitude or 'shake' which in the case of Chile makes it about 60x stronger. Moment Magnitude is the standard today and better represents the total amount of energy released, in this instance it was 600x more powerful than Haiti. Fortunately the quake in Chile was much further underground and off shore, rather than close to the surface and basically right under Port Au Prince.

Thankfully Chile actually has building codes designed to withstand serious tremors, whereas Haiti is built like a house of cards.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Just read that Richter scale measurements aren't really used as much anymore (maybe just news agencies for simplicity sake?), as it tends to refer only to horizontal amplitude or 'shake' which in the case of Chile makes it about 60x stronger. Moment Magnitude is the standard today and better represents the total amount of energy released, in this instance it was 600x more powerful than Haiti. Fortunately the quake in Chile was much further underground and off shore, rather than close to the surface and basically right under Port Au Prince.

Thankfully Chile actually has building codes designed to withstand serious tremors, whereas Haiti is built like a house of cards.
...exactly!

News info still seems to be running the spectrum of damage reports. Are cell service and other telecommunications still down in some areas?

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
...exactly!

News info still seems to be running the spectrum of damage reports. Are cell service and other telecommunications still down in some areas?
It depends on the areas. I'm in Concepción, one of the cities that got the worst of the quake. Water supply was restored yesterday in the lower parts of the city. I'm in the higher ones and started feeling a bit of pressure on the pipes a few hours ago. Still no water thou... Cell phone signal came back a few hours ago. Same thing happened with electricity and internet. I don't know the situatiuon in the rest of the city.

In order to prevent all the looting that has been going on by the worst part of the population, the city is now under military command. We are obligued to stay at home from 20:00 till 12:00. Anyone on the streets may (and probably will) be shot by the military. They are ordered to shoot to kill.
Most of the population (including me) was claiming for this. Hordes of f*cking scumbags looted almost everything, and now there are no supplies of any kind for us honest people to get.
Things are looking way better now with the military on the street and the services slowly comming back.

Roberto.

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It depends on the areas. I'm in Concepción, one of the cities that got the worst of the quake. Water supply was restored yesterday in the lower parts of the city. I'm in the higher ones and started feeling a bit of pressure on the pipes a few hours ago. Still no whater thou... Cell phone signal came back a few hours ago. Same thing happened with electricity and internet. I don't know the situatiuon in the rest of the city.

In order to prevent all the looting that has been going on by the worst part of the population, the city is now under military command. We are obligued to stay at home from 20:00 till 12:00. Anyone on the streets may (and probably will) be shot by the military. They are ordered to shoot to kill.
Most of the population (including me) was claiming for this. Hordes of f*cking scumbags looted almost everything, and now there are no supplies of any kind for us honest people to get.
Things are looking way better now with the military on the street and the services slowly comming back.

Roberto.
Hey dude, glad to see you are ok. Santiago told me as soon as he heard from you via text. Was getting pretty worried when i heard where the epicentre was.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Hey Roberto, glad to hear your OK, thanks again from all us gringos,

Took a long walk around our hotel today in Santiago, not that much visible damage locally, but some other parts of the city are pretty banged up.

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
Thank you guys for being concerned about me.

For those who have not been to Chile but have seen chaos and lootings everywhere on the news, please note that most of that is because of a small portion of the population consisting of the bad guys plus those who are so uneducated that they cannot understand the implications of what the're doing. Most of us are pretty decent folks who want to live our lifes as peacefully as we can.

DIRTWRKS: You finally got to experience a bit of the geological features of Chile. Maybe next we'll have an erupting volcano or something along those lines waiting for you.