Quantcast

Hugi Freeride Saint axle conversion

B

bighitfsr

I have a Hugi FR 135mm Quick Release rear hub and I want to run a saint rear derailer.

Hugi has just released saint compatible Hugi FR hubs (135, 150 and 165mm spacing). I'd like to convert my hub to the same axle system that the Hugi FR saint compatible hubs use (details on dtswiss.com).

Is this possible?

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
You won't get much help here since Saint is still fairly new and short of slapping on a crankset, there are many compatability issue. Also, most of the members here are anti-Saint.

In any case, I checked out the website and didn't see a 10mm thru-axle rear hub, only 12mm. That's really all that you need to run Saint. Maybe hugi has a step-down axle of sorts that goes from 12mm to 10mm at the drive-side drop-out? Or maybe they have an axle conversion kit that takes the hub down to 10mm.

In the end you'll need a hub with a 10mm thru-axle, a Saint rear mech and a Saint compatable axle (Shimano and Hadley both make one).

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I had a post earlier about trying to make a drop bracket to mount normal derailuers on the axle and eliminate the saint deal. Basicly taking the Saint concept and modifying it for normal rear derailuers.

I hate this switching of parts, especially in the DH world. Everyone will eat a derailuer, bend a hanger, snap a bottom bracket sooner or later. No one's jumped on the Saint bandwagon because of all the new parts you need. Just to use the rear derailuer you need a new rear hub (saint only for the most part) plus you need to use a Shimano rear brake and saint interlocking rotors. Everything is just too specialized. Not worth the $$$

If I can devise a way to make this rear derailuer thing work I'll have the machine shop work with me next door to my work and see what they can come up with. If it'd slove the problems with bent hangers it could be a possibly bike changing gizmo. I know I'd run one for the rest of my biking life as long as it shifted etc...how it's suspose to.

Take a look at the Demo 9 and that is what I wanna do. That is exactly what normal bikes need is a adapter like that that you can retrofit onto any current production bike.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
here's a couple of pics of our "Sinner" derailler guard.

Works with any qr or 10 mm thru axle. More versions on the way for 12, 14, and 15 mm axles.

Advantages: Mounts the derailleur in double shear mounting, providing crisper, cleaner shifts, but more importantly saves the derailleur hanger from most (if not all) derailler induced damage.

Can be used with any derailleur, we have models for all shimano and sram

Disadvantages (compared to Saint): The derailleur will still go if you hit it hard enough

Won't break your axle because the derailleur is the first thing to go

Won't break your hanger because the derailleur is the first thing to go

Only adds about 15 grams of downhill speed increasing weight, as opposed to the 400+ gram Saint

A normal derailleur is about half the size of the Saint, so you won't get to snag as many rocks.

You don't have to use the 600+ gram Saint hub (ok, you probably can use the DT/fr or Hadley hubs with the Saint derailleur)

A less holy name, which could affect advertising opportunities

Brian,

braketherapy@therapycomponents.com

B

bighitfsr

It seems to me that I have a compatible hub so these points about needing a new hub and wheel build etc dont apply to me.

All I need is an axle kit from DT and the saint derailer.
I need a new derailer anyway.

Thanks for the info about the brake therapy thingy I'll pickup one of those for my other bike.
What do they cost?

Does a saint short cage derailer hang down lower than a medium cage XTR?
I had a close up look at a saint equipt bike and It didnt look that way to me.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Originally posted by Spunger
I hate this switching of parts, especially in the DH world. Everyone will eat a derailuer, bend a hanger, snap a bottom bracket sooner or later. No one's jumped on the Saint bandwagon because of all the new parts you need. Just to use the rear derailuer you need a new rear hub (saint only for the most part) plus you need to use a Shimano rear brake and saint interlocking rotors. Everything is just too specialized. Not worth the $$$
This isn't true. You need a Saint rear mech, a 10mm thru-axle hub and a Saint compatable axle. Granted the saint derailleur and axle are pricey, but if you already have a compatable axle and if they indeed NEVER break as was rumored when RM's fro-riders were testing them, it's worth it IMO.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Originally posted by bighitfsr
It seems to me that I have a compatible hub so these points about needing a new hub and wheel build etc dont apply to me.

All I need is an axle kit from DT and the saint derailer.
I need a new derailer anyway.

Thanks for the info about the brake therapy thingy I'll pickup one of those for my other bike.
What do they cost?

Does a saint short cage derailer hang down lower than a medium cage XTR?
I had a close up look at a saint equipt bike and It didnt look that way to me.
if you have access to a machine shop, drill the end caps out to 10mm (a thou or two bigger), and take the axle out and ream it. The axle actually has a 10 mm hole, but it's drilled from both sides, so the hole isn't straight and an axle would get stuck. It just needs to be reamed out. Ad the Saint axle and your done.

Or get the parts from dt.

Sinners retail for $30

Brian, braketherapy@therapycomponents.com