Quantcast

Human extinction: Ethical question

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Personally I think its only right for nature to want to get rid of the dominating population on the earth. I mean it looks as though, mother nature is taking a lot of shots at us.

I mean think about it. Nature creates this highly adaptable, very smart creature; and that creature begins to kill the earth. So naturally, Nature will try to kill its failed experiment. Nature's weapon: The Earth.

Nature tried to make one dominent population, the Dinosaurs. Their specialty for domination, ferocity. That didn't work, so kill them off. Then Nature tries, another Human, their specialty, intelligance. Obviously not working.
:brow: :brow: :brow: :crazy:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
The last couple years Discovery Channel and it's networks seem obsessed with doomsday theories. They've had specials on everything on everything you can imagine: supervolcanos, asteroids, polar shifts, implosion of the sun, etc. We know that all of these have happened before. That's a given. The human population hit a bottleneck and reduced to just a couple thousand people twice that we know of about 140000 and 60000 years ago. The first one was most likely an asteroid and the second was probably the Toba supervolcano eruption. We know this based on mitochondrial DNA and Y chromosome testing (BTW: we're all inbred) I just saw a Science Channel special on asteriod impacts. It discussed ways that NASA is working to prevent/predict this. My question for you is: If this has happened before and humans still got to the point that they are what gives us a right to fight nature's plan? I mean eventually the sun will collapse and every human not in another solar system is going to disappear in seconds anyway. It's a different matter if it's mutually assured or otherwise man-made but why fight nature when it was already so right in the first place? Discuss

It's real simple: "People are afraid of death".....D

Monkey
By the same logic why do we have medical science? what right do we have challenging nature's natural thinning-the-herd out tools with un-natural alchemy and sterialisation? back to cutting off a limb for a scrape for everyone!!!!

:crazy:

The last couple years Discovery Channel and it's networks seem obsessed with doomsday theories. They've had specials on everything on everything you can imagine: supervolcanos, asteroids, polar shifts, implosion of the sun, etc. We know that all of these have happened before. That's a given. The human population hit a bottleneck and reduced to just a couple thousand people twice that we know of about 140000 and 60000 years ago. The first one was most likely an asteroid and the second was probably the Toba supervolcano eruption. We know this based on mitochondrial DNA and Y chromosome testing (BTW: we're all inbred) I just saw a Science Channel special on asteriod impacts. It discussed ways that NASA is working to prevent/predict this. My question for you is: If this has happened before and humans still got to the point that they are what gives us a right to fight nature's plan? I mean eventually the sun will collapse and every human not in another solar system is going to disappear in seconds anyway. It's a different matter if it's mutually assured or otherwise man-made but why fight nature when it was already so right in the first place? Discuss

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
I think medicine is a different matter. Hell I'm a pharmacy tech and an EMT-B. To save one person at a time is admirable but if nature is so determined to kill us all maybe there's a reason. I mean an asteroid or volcano causing massive explosions and destroying our atmosphere for a long time seems pretty determined. Maybe these events exist as a foolproof way to do the job. If we evolve so fast that we get to the point where we beat nature to it's failsafe maybe that's not best for the planet or the human race.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I think medicine is a different matter. Hell I'm a pharmacy tech and an EMT-B. To save one person at a time is admirable but if nature is so determined to kill us all maybe there's a reason. I mean an asteroid or volcano causing massive explosions and destroying our atmosphere for a long time seems pretty determined. Maybe these events exist as a foolproof way to do the job. If we evolve so fast that we get to the point where we beat nature to it's failsafe maybe that's not best for the planet or the human race.
Read this out loud and come back and tell us if you think you are as whacky as we do, once you actually hear it.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
hmm...many would say that you trying to save lives is actually disturbing the natural order of things...I think it's only a matter of time before DM gets owned..."Titanium is not natural"....lol

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
:stupid: A bunch of goddam mumbo jumbo if you ask me. Maybe we should see what the witchdoctor thinks. :think:
I'm pretty sure I am just as uninterested in what the witch doctor thinks. I typically read his posts and cry uncontrollably for hours. Combine his lackluster efforts at thought with his less than inspiring insults and you have a recipe for stupidity that only 5 or 6 folks here can challenge.

Now that I think of it, there has been a recent uprising of challengers, and that makes Baby Jesus cry.

organizedrage

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Dublin, CA
F**k nature.
If a group of pencil pushers wants to work together to keep a asteroid from falling on my chicken little head, well then have at it.
I got killer bike rides to go on, sex to have and ice cream to eat.
I don't have time to care about asteroids.
haha i like ice cream too!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Your distinctions are so totally arbitrary that it's hard to take it seriously, let alone the fact that a couple of you are assigning "Nature" some kind of high level intelligence. You're a pharmacy tech and an EMT but you have some kind of moral issue with plastic?

Natural events happen. There is no great figurehead out there that is thinking, "humans are too high adapted, we must kill them now." No man behind the curtain. There's a lot of space debris floating around out there, it's inevitable that we'll run into something somewhere along the line. There are a lot of bacteria and viruses kicking around, there will eventually be one that we have trouble killing. There's a lot of molten lava under our planet, at some point it's gonna go boom. It's not directed or deliberate.

What's funny to me is that you want to talk about Nature (legal note: Nature (tm) is a registered trademark of the Microsoft corporation and may not be used without its written consent) as if there's a great intelligence running the universe, but you don't want to bring up the concept of God.

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
To save one person at a time is admirable but if nature is so determined to kill us all maybe there's a reason. I mean an asteroid or volcano causing massive explosions and destroying our atmosphere for a long time seems pretty determined. Maybe these events exist as a foolproof way to do the job. If we evolve so fast that we get to the point where we beat nature to it's failsafe maybe that's not best for the planet or the human race.
A volcano or asteroid is meaningless at a cosmic scale.

Earth is special to us.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Natural selection is a bitch. If you choose to build a house on a flood plain, then don't be shocked when your house floats away. If you choose to live near (Or better yet ON) an active volcano, don't be screaming for help when it gets burned to the ground.

People are stupid. There are plenty of great ways to die, pick one and run with it.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
hmm...many would say that you trying to save lives is actually disturbing the natural order of things...I think it's only a matter of time before DM gets owned..."Titanium is not natural"....lol
Well to his credit, titanium, the elemental metal, isn't naturally occuring, it has to be processed from TiO2 or FeTiO3 ores through some pretty sophisticated chemical processes....

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
After reading Cormac McCarthy's The Road, I'm glad I live in the center of the biggest thermonuclear bullseye in the world.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
After reading Cormac McCarthy's The Road, I'm glad I live in the center of the biggest thermonuclear bullseye in the world.
That's the only book of his I haven't read - I'll be borrowing it once my friend is done.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Sorry, but you put a little too much thought into that response for it to be a joke.

No dead serious, just a joke. My little impersonation of "god fearing" people that think god will destroy us all if we don't change our ways.

Really though, I think if there is one way we are all going to die at the same time, is if Britney Spears decides to sing another song.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Your distinctions are so totally arbitrary that it's hard to take it seriously, let alone the fact that a couple of you are assigning "Nature" some kind of high level intelligence. You're a pharmacy tech and an EMT but you have some kind of moral issue with plastic?

Natural events happen. There is no great figurehead out there that is thinking, "humans are too high adapted, we must kill them now." No man behind the curtain. There's a lot of space debris floating around out there, it's inevitable that we'll run into something somewhere along the line. There are a lot of bacteria and viruses kicking around, there will eventually be one that we have trouble killing. There's a lot of molten lava under our planet, at some point it's gonna go boom. It's not directed or deliberate.

What's funny to me is that you want to talk about Nature (legal note: Nature (tm) is a registered trademark of the Microsoft corporation and may not be used without its written consent) as if there's a great intelligence running the universe, but you don't want to bring up the concept of God.
This is the point I was making earlier about God. I am not really sure how anyone can justify saying that nature does something with any amount of agency and then restrict the conversation away from God. Not that we have to bring God into everything (even here; my comment was more an attack on your assertions, not an attempt to open up the conversation), but it seems to me that you already did by giving nature such a intentionality.

From a scientific viewpoint (as opposed to, say, a religious one that sees the supernatural on earth) nature doesn't "do" anything- it just is. Doing implies a kind of intentionality or free agency (to me, in any case) that nature does not have. Nature exists and affects things, but it doesn't act. That's, for some people, the beauty of it- why it cannot destroy itself and why some may see its results as justified by default when, by its operation, nature's results cannot be said to be good or bad as they stand outside of normative judgment. That's my opinion, in any case.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Well to his credit, titanium, the elemental metal, isn't naturally occuring, it has to be processed from TiO2 or FeTiO3 ores through some pretty sophisticated chemical processes....
It occurred naturally before it was part of said ores though... Stardust...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Im not going to read this entire thread, but my response to the initial question would be this:

Since "ethics" are nothing but a human invention (or idea really) what do they matter in a universe without humans? What is "ethical" if there's no one around to understand the decision. It's like the tree in the woods. A species has one ultimate goal. To survive. Simple as that.