Quantcast

Humpday GMT

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
After hitting the shed last night, I ended up passing out at around 9pm and woke up at 6:40 this morning. I'd call that a victory.

Group ride night. I am extra-excited due to missing last week while having some sort of ebol-aids

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Well shit, I'm back here again. Trying to make weekend plans and I think I'm going to have to call an audible. Was originally heading out to Crystal but rain + shelf roads = bad times. Perhaps Medano Pass into Great Sand Dunes National Park it is.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
ride night has been shifted to tonight. the guys want to ride the super lame trails that are smooth and flowy (and handle the wet really well and that we'll end up riding a ton in the fall as conditions get wet and cold). I'm not keen on it, but eh... what am I going to do, ride alone in the dark?

otherwise work. I'm about to go fire up the espresso machine.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
First ride with lights last night. I'd say it was a good ride, but it was 1000% humidity or some shit.

The new trail work rides fantastic though, so there's that.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
ride night has been shifted to tonight. the guys want to ride the super lame trails that are smooth and flowy (and handle the wet really well and that we'll end up riding a ton in the fall as conditions get wet and cold). I'm not keen on it, but eh... what am I going to do, ride alone in the dark?

otherwise work. I'm about to go fire up the espresso machine.
Yes, you are supposed to ride solo in the dark. The solitude is awesome and so are the night critters. Saw an owl catch a mouse once.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Yes, you are supposed to ride solo in the dark. The solitude is awesome and so are the night critters. Saw an owl catch a mouse once.
And if you hit the shed before your solo night missions you can end up riding really really fast. Use the darkness induced paranoia to convince yourself that your are being chased by night creatures and let your HR rise.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Hop harvest continues, as does apple harvest. Brewers are rolling through every hour it seems. The guys from Avery came by yesterday, they were pretty rad. Blackfoot out of Helena were cool guys also.

In other news building up this Soma Wolverine is filling me with trepidation. It's a road bike, but I am building it up with xt... putting 45mm tires on it. It'll be a rez-raider after I make a fruit pouch for the frame. Basically an early 90s mtb with disc brakes and 1x11 gearing, set up tubeless.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
And if you hit the shed before your solo night missions you can end up riding really really fast. Use the darkness induced paranoia to convince yourself that your are being chased by night creatures and let your HR rise.
The trick is to never look behind you.

Also hitting the shed before a solo night ride is a crazy idea. Crazy enough to try...perhaps. :brows:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Hump day indeed. It gets damn dark at 6 at my house, it is depressing. Actually looking forward to the time change.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
In other news building up this Soma Wolverine is filling me with trepidation. It's a road bike, but I am building it up with xt... putting 45mm tires on it. It'll be a rez-raider after I make a fruit pouch for the frame. Basically an early 90s mtb with disc brakes and 1x11 gearing, set up tubeless.
Drop bars, mustache bars, straight bars?

I see all kinds of night creatures. Owls, foxes, coyotes, deer, raccoons, naked joggers. None bit me, yet.
The naked joggers around Boston probably just want to lick you. And by you I mean your taint.

I'm at work. Not liking the grey skies. Also not amused by the fucktard on a 2 stroke gasoline razor scooter buzzing along the (non-motorized vehicles only) Sand Creek Greenway this morning, or the moped rider who locked undoubtedly her Chinese 50 cc piece of crap to the bike racks at work.

Ah, it feels good to let the hate flow... :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my road / CX bike has it's share of MTB components on it. mtb pedals, mtb disc brakes (avid bb7), xt derailler. i had to use retroshift (now goes by genvelle) shifters / brake levers so i could get something that was 9 speed and could run mtb mech discs, which are longer cable throw than their road counterparts.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
your lack of wingdings is disturbing.
:nopity:

I posted it with *wonderful* wingdings but the lizard overlords made them disappear. :monkey: Dear lizard overlords, can you please fix the issue? They were visible in the title in the preview up to the moment of posting. /coolstorybro

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
my road / CX bike has it's share of MTB components on it. mtb pedals, mtb disc brakes (avid bb7), xt derailler. i had to use retroshift (now goes by genvelle) shifters / brake levers so i could get something that was 9 speed and could run mtb mech discs, which are longer cable throw than their road counterparts.
Now that Shimano has hydraulic road discs I'm curious as to whether the, er, fluid displacement ratio is the same between, say, XT and Ultegra bits. I'm pretty sure that with 10 speed the cable pull for road and MTB derailleurs became different, unfortunately.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Now that Shimano has hydraulic road discs I'm curious as to whether the, er, fluid displacement ratio is the same between, say, XT and Ultegra bits.
someone else asked this somewhere, and i can't remember the response.

I'm pretty sure that with 10 speed the cable pull for road and MTB derailleurs became different, unfortunately.
the pull is different, as is the indexing for the gaps between the gears due to difference in gear qty

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
someone else asked this somewhere, and i can't remember the response.
Seems like Shimano kept 'em compatible:

The [Shimano road disc] R785 levers comes stock with what is essentially an XT mountain caliper. The levers are compatible with Shimano’s XTR caliper as well, including the new magnesium version, which would shed about 150 grams, about 75 grams per wheel.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/11/bikes-and-tech/the-torqued-wrench-12-road-disc-questions-answered_308954

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
09:00 or 21:00? :confused:

I don't think the time change is going to do what you think it's going to do. :D
Not in Oregon, that's for sure. But it is nicer when it isn't dark before I'm home from the office. Makes my long commute even more depressing when it seems like I missed the entire day AND I've actually missed the entire day.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Drop bars, mustache bars, straight bars?

Ah, it feels good to let the hate flow... :D
For now soma junebugs... don't know how long it'll last. Also looking at Jones loop bar.

This bike is full xt, Xtr crank, flat pedals... I can't and will not take the time to learn roadie components... rather would keep it mtb and then know what the abusability is.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
For now soma junebugs... don't know how long it'll last. Also looking at Jones loop bar.

This bike is full xt, Xtr crank, flat pedals... I can't and will not take the time to learn roadie components... rather would keep it mtb and then know what the abusability is.
So a nice low profile build for locking up in sketchy locations :D