Quantcast

Hydration Pack Help

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Anybody ride with the Camelbak Havoc or the Dakine Nomad?

I am looking for a pack, that holds fullface, leg pads and jacket, and narrowed it down to the above 2.

Thanks

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have a dakine Nomad. Its awsome. It looks big/bulky, but when riding, I barely notice it. If I was wearing armor, I think I would nearly forget about it at times.

The back and shoulder strap padding is really nice. It is stiff enough, while the right softness to be comfortable. When you take out the blatter to refill it, you just diconnect the hose at the bottom, instead of having to take the hose out each time.

I also like the zippered mesh pockets inside the lower/outer part. I carry lots of tools and stuff when I ride, so I like the organized idea.
I don't know about the havic, but I say go for the Dakine Nomad. Dakine makes such high quality products. Camelbacks are nice (I have one too: a mini mule, but it doesn't hold enough water or tools.)

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
my friend has the havoc, i have the nomad, and between them i would have to say the havoc is the better pack, it is spacious, yet doesn't fit big on your back its a really easy back and its tough.

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
I would be ^ the friend. I love my havoc, it fits almost everything. You can put ur full face in the back, and strap the pads on the side of the full face place. If im using full armor and i have to climb, i put my full face on my handle bars, and put my upper body armor inside the full face compartment. I have never had this pack leak water, and the water stays nice and cold! GET THE HAVOC - Oliver

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Why would you take body armor off for a climb? Yeah, it may be hot, but that would take a lot of time.I really don't see either of you climbing!
[sorry for the derrailment]

I haven't ever used a havoc. You need more opinions, especially ledgible one.

Nov 9, 2005
the havoc is a great pack. When i'am flying down the trails i forget that it is even on. I can jump with it on too, and i barley feel it, this is with a full bladder of water.

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
zac your forgetting that big hill at the bottom of cold springs WATER BREAK. And mtbrider, the only places i climb are on to your moms bed, to enjoy anal sex. THATS my .002 cents.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
degoose said:
I would be ^ the friend. I love my havoc, it fits almost everything. You can put ur full face in the back, and strap the pads on the side of the full face place. If im using full armor and i have to climb, i put my full face on my handle bars, and put my upper body armor inside the full face compartment. I have never had this pack leak water, and the water stays nice and cold! GET THE HAVOC - Oliver
So you are saying that you can strap pads and full face onto the pack at once, as well as having room left for a jacket and water?

Midget

Chimp
Aug 3, 2003
take a left at the tree
I would say it depends on how much stuff you plan to carry. I own the havoc, and it works great for me because I usually don't where too many pads, and I tend to just leave them on even when climbing. The Nomad is more for someone who has alot more pads to hike up also. The nomad seemed bulkier while I was riding down the trail, which made me feel uncomfortable when leaning close to loose branches. My .02 would be to go with whatever will hold all you need to carry.

Midget

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My first time using the nomad, down Mt. wilson,CA (10+ mi. dh), it didn't feel bulky at all. Some may feel bulkier on other people than others.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
^ no, 5'3-5'4. You are so stupid.....
Most all hydration packs come in only one size.

A pack would be much more noticeable on a shorter person because the pack would be closer to their size.

The same size pack would be much less noticeable on a taller person because the sizes are further from each other.

edit: sorry about theses never ending derrailments; if they would only take this on aim...

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
sorry i have dakine and if this was between the apex and the havoc i would tell you to get the apex i put my pads, jacket, goggles, tools, tubes, lunch (big lunch), mini pump, and a fullface, along with the cool 100 oz water system, and two 24 oz water bottles in there super easy check it out best pack because when it has nothing in it it compacts and becomes pretty small:

this thing has 1600 cubic inches
http://www.dakine.com/base.cfm

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i can't believe you just made that site, send it to his mom and dad his dad would probably disown him

LIPS

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
Portland
camelback havoc review
http://www.nsmb.com/gear/camelbak_havoc_02_05.php

I have the 05 Havoc. I think that some of the complaints in the review are valid. The helmet area is the weakest link in the 05, but it looks like they rethought it for 06. The mesh on the sides (Dakine thought of it first) is nice for throwing stuff in there and not worring about it falling out. I wish my 05 had the mesh. I would never put my leg and arm guards on like camelbak shows in their pictures and the way that it was reviewed. I put my arm guards inside of my leg guards then use two of the leg guard straps to hold the whole package horizonal attached two the lower gray straps for the helmet. This way you don't have to fight with armor to get into the pack. The havoc is a very comfortable pack while riding. And it holds a ton of gear. I can ride up with my full face and armor strapped to the outside, and my 661 assult in the pack along with water tools and a camera. The only negative remark my friend has made about his Apex is the bite valve. After the first ride he pulled it off and put a camelbak bite valve on. Other than that he really likes the Apex. I hope this helps.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
The dakine packs are nicer. The nomad or the apex, since the nomad is basically a downsized version of the apex, both have a similar layout with the apex being the larger pack offering more space.

I'm using the Apex and it's the most stable pack I've owned, I can really load it down and it's still very solid on my back, the added thickness of the kidney belt or whatever is a really nice touch and really aids in the stabiltiy and overall fit of the pack.

The Resevoir has a very nice quickrelease feature that eliminates having to fish your bite valve through the holes in your pack to your shoulder strap every time you want to fill the bladder. The bladder is also much thicker then the camelbak bladder, I can't count the number of bladders we've had problems with in the shop from camelbak, however the camelbak product is still a excellent product; I recommend the dakine.

www.dakine.com

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
I use a Camelback Mule for XC and trips to SST. I have a Dakine Apex for all my shuttle runs that don't have shuttles! The Apex will hold ALL my armor and my helmet with room left over. It has a great bladder and a better mouthpiece than the Mule in my opinion.

They both work well for what they are designed for. I think the mule is probably the best all-around pack if your not worried about storing gear on it. But for freeriding when you don't want to wear the pads the whole time, the Apex is the bomb.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Thanks everybody for your help.

I decided to go with the 2006 Havoc. They must have changed things up since the 2005 pack, as the fullface fits in there easily, and the leg pads, strap to the bottom of the pack. On the NSMB review of the 2005 pack, they pointed out issues once everything was loaded, however on this pack, there were no issues. With all gear on, and and water, it is very comfortable on the back, and does not look lobsided.

Its got a padded top pocket for a video camera. Easy to get to, and weather sealed also.

I think its going to be a great pack. Will be giving it the full ride test tomorrow.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
NSMB also had a later post regarding stating what you just stated...Camelbak made big revisions on the 06 and addressed all of the earlier issues. Dakine rocks, but I ordered an 06 Havoc based on my past experiences with them (3 previously purchased) and the fact that they addressed most of the issues.