Quantcast

Hydration packs

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
So I'm back working on the boat, but find I'm getting a fair bit of bike time during the week. Today's ride was a good long one, but I way underestemated my water supplies. So, with only my iPhone and slow ass 3G Internet, I'm looking for hydration pack.

The Camelbak Mule looks good, but it's a bit too big for what I need and over priced compared to other brands.

All I want is 1 to 2 liters water plus room for rolled up rain jacket, pump, multitool, couple tubes and a snack.

What's out there for me?

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
So many options. I use a cheapy high sierra hydration pack from Costco. $20. 2L, expandable, has a tuck away waist strap, tuck away helmet net, ext. bungee, and the main compartment has a sleeve for a bike pump.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I have the small dakine pack, it's a 3 liter and is perfect for a tube, pump, snack ext. with LITTLE more room. There's a spot to strap a full face on the back and a spot to strap knee shins, the spot where the full face straps too it works for jackets as well. I have found this pack to be ALMOST too small every once and a while, so really it's perfect for what I need

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I picked up my Camelback Mule on steepandcheap.com a year back.
Any pack will work, but I've found my camelback bladders are nicer than others I have used.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Can I add another criteria? It needs to have good back ventilation. I'm not bothered if it has straps for helmets or shin guards. It will be used for xc/trail/road riding only.

But it needs good back ventilation. It gets real hot around here and I sweat like a fat chick on a bouncy castle.

Insulated bladder would be nice too...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Unless you are planning on two camelbaks, I would not get a two liter, 70oz camelbak, simply because when you need to take as much water as you can carry, you're screwed.

You can always fill it with less, and a camelbak that can accomodate a 100oz bladder is not much larger than a 70oz.

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
I had a Deuter bag for years and loved it, but this season I went with an Osprey Raptor 10 and love it even more. Perfect pack for me. Svelte and carries a lot.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Camelbak Mule is tiny brother and will carry exactly what you need. It has two external straps if you ever need to strap a windbreaker to it or shin pads/helmet.

The 100oz bladder is very ergonomic and well insulated.

As a side note, I'm always surprised by the guys who just fill their bladder and off they go. I'm the only one I know who turns it upside down and squeezes all the air out. It makes the pack sit better on back and cuts down on bulk. I just wonder if most people hate a hydration pack b/c they don't bother with this step.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Been using a camlebak mule for over 7 years now. i like it a lot. I use it for festivals, hiking, whatever....it is a nice one.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Can I add another criteria? It needs to have good back ventilation. I'm not bothered if it has straps for helmets or shin guards. It will be used for xc/trail/road riding only.

But it needs good back ventilation. It gets real hot around here and I sweat like a fat chick on a bouncy castle.

Insulated bladder would be nice too...
Deuter has already been mentioned for ventilation.

I've got this one:

http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=RaceEXPAir&sub=hydration&tert=race

It sits away from your back, resting on a hammock type of structure. Works great for ventilation.

Also, you don't need an insulated bladder, that's going to steal a ton of space. Fill the fvcker full of ice. It's easy to do with a Deuter, the bladder opens totally up on the top.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I ended up just getting a Camelbak Basic. I think that's what it's called. The one which holds 2l of water and bugger all else.

It can hold an innertube, my mini pump and a multi tool tucked in with the bladder plus a couple wee nicnacs in the tiny pocket. I can attach my raincoat with the bungees and I'm good to go.

Best thing? it was 30 euros.

And it works.