Quantcast

I almost ****ign died today.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
In all seriousness of the statement. Working on an 06 F350 Deisel today. Front brakes, rotors, rear breakes, rotors, shocks, bunch of other stuff....

Well after being on around, and in the truck all day today, I get the last tire bolted back on when I hear a loud creaking, and a sudden snap. The rack failed, dropped the truck from about four feet up. I ran jumped and rolled like a little girl. looked back at the big ass truck I just friggin had my head under hanging very sidewaysand now less than a foot of the ground. I think I **** myself all the way into my boots. Never ceases to amaze me how quickly ones life can end without warning. So here are some pics of the rack, jus tto show how quickly **** can go wrong when you least expect it.

Two broken feet on the rack at once. Truck had been on the rack all day, and Blam, the rack let go.

What can I say, someone was looking out for me today.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
To have both fail at the same time is pretty well unheard of. Pretty standard setup for racks like this. They look more worn than they really were, theyve painted over many times, our owners like them looking fairly new all the time. never lasts long when they get the ole krylon treatment. Most people would be truly amazed to find how little holds a car together, specially with suspension parts and such.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Holy hell dude, glad you're OK. That's some scary sh*t. Wouldn't do to have you pancake shaped just in time for me to get back to CA.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Great DirtyM. What if you're going to be in the next "final destination" movie because of this? Great. Just great. Now you're going to be dodging Deth all over the mu****in place.

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
Was the lift only 5000lb or 7000lb rated? That truck had to be over 6000lbs. If it was a supercab long bed it could have been over 7000lbs

Glad you made it.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Was the lift only 5000lb or 7000lb rated? That truck had to be over 6000lbs. If it was a supercab long bed it could have been over 7000lbs

Glad you made it.
10,000 rating for the rack I was using. It "was" the big truck rack. Thats the other reason its so amazing. Truck was probably sitting at about 7700 I would guess. Rear was pretty loaded, this rack has a cool device in teh controls, if your within 500 lbs of the limit, it wont lift.

EDIT... I have a feeling the feet were probably swapped out before I started working there, makes sense, probably from another rack with a much lower rating. Either way, its redtagged until further notice.

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
10,000 rating for the rack I was using. It "was" the big truck rack. Thats the other reason its so amazing. Truck was probably sitting at about 7700 I would guess. Rear was pretty loaded, this rack has a cool device in teh controls, if your within 500 lbs of the limit, it wont lift.
Damn.....

I guess thats why i used to like to put the big trucks on the alignment rack....

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Damn.....

I guess thats why i used to like to put the big trucks on the alignment rack....
Ha, Our alignment rack is too short for this one!!!

the weight is about right

My F350 diesel CC 4x4 longbed scales out at 7800 with a full tank and the camper shell
That reminds me, its a good thing It didnt go worse, Eric is on the sideline, and wouldnt have been able to come lift the truck off of me so I could ride over the wekend.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Keep in mind, those ratings are for when the racks/jacks are new. It's VERY worthwhile to not use heavily used ones for this reason. You'd be surprised how often this happens.

Good to hear you made it out though. When I'm doing truck work of any kind I try not to use ANY kind of sketchy support equipment like that, and make sure the equipment ratings are at least twice what they're being used for.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ninjer skilz rule. Glad you're OK.

Is there any kind of redundant save-your-ass measure you could implement---even if the truck goes down and knocks you out on the way, something to keep it from going all the way to the floor and crushing you?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

Is there any kind of redundant save-your-ass measure you could implement---even if the truck goes down and knocks you out on the way, something to keep it from going all the way to the floor and crushing you?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005

Pretty much run like hell if you hear a noise that doesnt sound right....

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I'm soooo gonna show this to my techs when they come in this morning. Glad you didn't die bro. So, did you go buy a lotto ticket on the way home like I suggested? Oh, how did the wife react?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Glad you're ok. You'll get over the "almost died" thing, which is good. I've had several encounters. The worst one was probably when I was spinning out of control in an airplane. The literal definition. The CG and loading had changed, but this had become known information yet. It took quite a while to get it back in control.