Quantcast

I always knew Pink Floyd did some timeless music...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
That album kicks ass. I had the vinyl, lost it at some point, wore out the cassette tape a couple times, ruined the CD, and now it sits safely in my ipod.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Darkside rocks. I would say I have listened to the wall and darkside probably more than any other album I own. Well I might have listened to workingmans dead more, but that is besides the point.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In my opinion Darkside is the best studio album ever, although I do skip over Money whenever I listen to the album. That damn song just doesn't fit in, not to mention it got so overplayed.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Westy said:
In my opinion Darkside is the best studio album ever, although I do skip over Money whenever I listen to the album. That damn song just doesn't fit in, not to mention it got so overplayed.
:stupid:

Couldn't agree more! :thumb:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Westy said:
"Money" fits in with the "concept" of the album, but you're right, musically it doesnt belong at all.

Animals is the best album ever, studio or otherwise...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
BurlyShirley said:
"Money" fits in with the "concept" of the album, but you're right, musically it doesnt belong at all.

Animals is the best album ever, studio or otherwise...

I think Meddle ranks pretty high up there.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Westy said:
I think Meddle ranks pretty high up there.
Oh yeah, that is a great one too. I think anyone who doesnt stick floyd right up in there with The Beatles or Rolling Stones doesnt know music too well.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
BurlyShirley said:
Oh yeah, that is a great one too. I think anyone who doesnt stick floyd right up in there with The Beatles or Rolling Stones doesnt know music too well.

I'd say that anyone who ranks the Beatles and the Stones up there with PF doesn't know music too well.

Edit: I don't know why anyone is suprised that DarkSide is so popular. I see so may Foresters out ther with the little triangle/rainbow stickers on them.

:weee:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
DSOTM: best and worst album to listen to on L.S.D.
Wish you were here: Best album ever

Yes, yes. I do listen to more than just metal:rolleyes:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Westy said:
I'd say that anyone who ranks the Beatles and the Stones up there with PF doesn't know music too well.
Well, thats what I think, but for some reason, given the world's consensus, those two bands are apparently on some level above everyone else. :confused:

Musically, I dont think they are close, as in complexity, originality, but they both did put out a massive amount of work and some very good songs..

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
BurlyShirley said:
Well, thats what I think, but for some reason, given the world's consensus, those two bands are apparently on some level above everyone else. :confused:

Musically, I dont think they are close, as in complexity, originality, but they both did put out a massive amount of work and some very good songs..

The "worlds" consensus has also given the thumbs up to the Spice Girls, New Kids on the Block, Hasselhoff......

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
MancilG said:
never been a big PF fan, I find the music a little strange
Agreed. It was far too weird for me to get into it. Can't say that I hate them as I can appreciate all they achieved, but if one of their songs was on the radio I would switch the station.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I dig pink floyd because they make good albums, not good singles. I can't listen to a pink floyd song, I either put on the whole album or don't listen at all. I first had darkside on an umarked tape. I thought there were like 3 songs on there untill I bought the album and saw the song names.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Polandspring88 said:
Agreed. It was far too weird for me to get into it. Can't say that I hate them as I can appreciate all they achieved, but if one of their songs was on the radio I would switch the station.
Your not going to hear much of their good stuff on the radio.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Westy said:
Your not going to hear much of their good stuff on the radio.
Right, you might hear some dark side, the wall or gay 80's post-waters stuff, but the better experience is in the album.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
SkaredShtles said:
I find some of it weird musically, and some of their lyrics are positively bizarro, IMO.
Really? I think most of their lyrics are pretty straight forward and meaningful. You wont get any lovesongs...mostly philosophy and political stuff, but its easy to pick up on.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Polandspring88 said:
yeah they seem to have one hell of a following. But like I said just a little to strange for me....

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
One of my coworkers is going to see Roger Waters in September. He just came and gave me a cd to listen to; it's Luther Wright or someone, a bluegrass rendition of The Wall. He knows the Wall verbatim, and said this is pretty interesting to listen to, so I figured bv and I can give it a shot while we clean tonight. :D

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
like 'careful w/ that axe, eugene'?

:D
dude, is that song and "The End" by the doors, NOT the same song? I swear they are very similar..which was first?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
BurlyShirley said:
dude, is that song and "The End" by the doors, NOT the same song? I swear they are very similar..which was first?
On a somewhat unrelated note, has anyone ever noticed that "What I Got" by Sublime is basically the EXACT same song as "Lady Madonna" by the Beatles? How do they get away with that?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BurlyShirley said:
good question, i'm not sure. probably the doors' song, it was on the 1st record, right? when was that, in '66 or so?

maybe i'll play 'em back to back to see.

three songs of the same era which sound identical:

twist and shout
la bamba
good lovin'

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
My wife just found that Roger Waters was coming in September to NoVA and was about to buy me tickets. The prices were scalp prices, so she hesitated and talked to me first. She said he is playing DSOTM straight through during the show. I'm there.

Fav PF albums: Meddle, Animals, The Wall, Wish You Were Here,... sh!t, I like most of them. I think I have Relics in the car right now.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'd rather have waters play _Obscured By Clouds_ all the way through, but he wouldn't have gilmour or wright to sing a few of the songs.

BS, 'careful' and 'the end' aren't all that similar, imo. listening again to 'careful' right now. great song.

if anyone is a big PF fan, i've got some interesting boots

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
i'd rather have waters play _Obscured By Clouds_ all the way through, but he wouldn't have gilmour or wright to sing a few of the songs.

BS, 'careful' and 'the end' aren't all that similar, imo. listening again to 'careful' right now. great song.

if anyone is a big PF fan, i've got some interesting boots
Id like to hear them...

Obscured by clouds is great too...

I think I have every CD you can readily get your hands on

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I've got a bike
you can ride it if you like
it's got a bakset, a bell and strings and things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
but I borrowed it
:)

Live at Pompeii is pretty mazing stuff. Wierd, yes. But amazing.
I like Saucer Full of Secrets and Piper at the Gates of Dawn, but of course nobody can overlook The Wall - which really needs to be listened to in its entirety in a single sitting.

I think I have an original copy of DSOTM on Harvest records (not Capitol/EMI) from 1973 somewhere.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wish You Were Here and The Final Cut are two of the most underrated albums ever.

And it's not Floyd without Waters. Gilmore can carry a band himself but it's still not Floyd.