Quantcast

I am going to be a hot rod queen

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
What is sitting in my drive way right now? My new/old 1951 Buick Roadmaster Sedan (in need of 100% restoration), but oh what a happy girl I am! It's my first old car project and I can't wait to start!!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I just edited a couple. Remember, she's rough, but all the parts are there, every last trim strip, door knob, it's 100% original!

These two pics are from when we first went and looked at her.

Attachments

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
to what degree will you be restoring it? Driveable? like new? Show car?
We are going for what I have dubbed, the Utility Hot Rod. I want a daily driver. Cars weren't made to sit in a garage 99% of the time and get rubbed with diapers by obsessive old men. I want a car I can drive and not worry about constantly. I'm going for performance, and good looks, but I'm not into the show thing.

Nice thing about this car is about 75% of the trim/bumper/anything shiney is stainless steel. Less chrome to get redone which is costly. It just needs to be polished and it's good to go.

Current Plan:

-full body restoration/rust removal
-Semi flat black paint
-rechromed bumpers
-polished trim
-new glass and rubber
-redoing the upholstery (black and white)
-blacked out rear windows, front sides as black as law allows
-air bags so I can lower it for cruising, and bring it back up for real driving
-Either full rebuild of engine/tranny or it's getting a caprice police edition drive train (keeping the old stuff incase we ever want to go 100% original again.

**Edit-We've also talked about getting an old airstream trailer and restoring and converting it into a toy hauler/camper that we can tow behind the Buick!!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Good luck. My restoration has cost me about 5 years and $25k. Its fun and expensive. Next one Ill buy done.... cheaper and less headaches.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
If you could drive around town on a grub worm you'd be the pinnacle of cool in my book, anyone can drive a car.
I'd have to make a tiny saddle first, but if you really think it would be cool, I'll try anything once.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd have to make a tiny saddle first, but if you really think it would be cool, I'll try anything once.
I think the key would be to build a harness and strap a hundred or so of those little guys to some kind of stage coach or chariot. I also like Skookum's idea of the earthworm.. although I'm concerned how he would negotiate the hot magma. Personally I'd like to just sleep for a few decades then really whoop it up for a summer with the cicadas.

All kidding aside I don't mean to derail your thread. Have fun with the new/old sled.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I think the key would be to build a harness and strap a hundred or so of those little guys to some kind of stage coach or chariot. I also like Skookum's idea of the earthworm.. although I'm concerned how he would negotiate the hot magma. Personally I'd like to just sleep for a few decades then really whoop it up for a summer with the cicadas.

All kidding aside I don't mean to derail your thread. Have fun with the new/old sled.
Hey, derail is my middle name. I like the chariot idea.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Bag it! That's awesome!

I miss my air ride setup, it was fun and functional. I'll do another bad setup soon, once I'm done with bikes.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Current Plan:

-full body restoration/rust removal
-Semi flat black paint
-rechromed bumpers
-polished trim
-new glass and rubber
-redoing the upholstery (black and white)
-blacked out rear windows, front sides as black as law allows
-air bags so I can lower it for cruising, and bring it back up for real driving
-Either full rebuild of engine/tranny or it's getting a caprice police edition drive train (keeping the old stuff incase we ever want to go 100% original again.
I'd add a drivers side hood hinge to that list.:monkey:
Cool car.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
That's sweet. I would love to do something like that but the last thing I need is another project.

Personally, I would keep it as original as possible. I've had other "collectible" items in the past that I've modified thinking I was making them better only to regret now. The cars a classic and you have all the original stuff. Keep it.

As cool as a cop engine would be....

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Well have fun with it....But I bet your list of stuff to do triples within the first week!

It's the never ending debate of "Well if I'm fixing THIS, I may as well fix this too...". Always hard to know where to draw the line.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Looks like a great project, but once you get going on the restoration it's really hard to stop and not make it "too nice"!

I was going to rebuild the engine on this:

and it ended up being a full blown show car and I don't recommend going that route. The license plate actually said "paychks".

That looks like a great project though....have fun!

WSR Crash

Chimp
Apr 21, 2006
White Pine, Tn
leave the paint alone and just restore the drive train. I am still working on a resto that is seven years on and recently got a 1929 model a to start on. Good luck and have fun:cheers::thumb:

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Skip the Po-Po drivetrain and find a mid-60's Buick nailhead and switch-pitch converter T400. It would look fairly stock (unless yours is a straight-8 now?) and still give you all the legendary Buick torque.

Then sell me that LS1(?) drivetrain for my '87 swb...

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
I am not sure a caprice drive train would hold up so well to pulling a camper however if you could fit a 700r4 truck transmition (keeping things GM) into it I would do that for hauling also for an engine I would look at something like a multi port fuel injected GM v8. These are only my opinions and also this is if time and money allow.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Looks like a great project, but once you get going on the restoration it's really hard to stop and not make it "too nice"!

I was going to rebuild the engine on this:

and it ended up being a full blown show car and I don't recommend going that route. The license plate actually said "paychks".

That looks like a great project though....have fun!
awesome.. i have a 68 with a 396.
loving that rs/ss

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
DhDiva, That car is huge. can you fit your bike in the trunk without taking off the front wheel?

Imagine rolling up to a race driving that & then pulling out your bike. That would be badass.