Quantcast

I bought a bug.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
yay my first car. 71 beetle. any one know how to tell the diffrence between a bettle and a super bettle.

it has an AE seriel number 60hp 1600cc motor (dual port), black seats, dash and door panels. but a white headliner.. :think: the fellow I bought it off of got it in 82 drove it to university for 5 years and thn ayear or 2 after stuck it in his garage his son pulled it out of storeage had it serviced costing about $1000 to get it running good and road worthy. he drove it about 4000 miles nd then bought a toyota and left town to go to school. so 500 bones later I have myself a beautiful orange bug.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Holy crap, when I read the title of this thread, I was expecting to see one of the New Beetles with a stupid flower vase and all that crap. Thank god for old cars.

DR. Dirt

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
East Coast
dexterq20 said:
Holy crap, when I read the title of this thread, I was expecting to see one of the New Beetles with a stupid flower vase and all that crap. Thank god for old cars.

hahahahahaha yeah dude :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: i like your car man :drool: :drool: :drool:

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Super Beetles have a dashboard I believe. That doesn't look like its got room for one. Sweet car. Mine was one of the most comfortable cross country cars I've driven. Not too bad off road either. Just gun it and don't worry about clearance.....

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i think that the super beetle also has the rounded sides on the windshield, i think.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
SWEEET! Everyone's first car should be an old VW. That or an old Mustang. Congratulations, and welcome to the VW family. I recently had to sell my 67 Ghia, but I loved her dearly. VW's are easy to work on and if you take care of them and give them love and good vibes, they'll take care of you. Congratulations again! :thumb:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Dirt rider said:
yay my first car. 71 beetle. any one know how to tell the diffrence between a bettle and a super bettle.

it has an AE seriel number 60hp 1600cc motor (dual port), black seats, dash and door panels. but a white headliner.. :think: the fellow I bought it off of got it in 82 drove it to university for 5 years and thn ayear or 2 after stuck it in his garage his son pulled it out of storeage had it serviced costing about $1000 to get it running good and road worthy. he drove it about 4000 miles nd then bought a toyota and left town to go to school. so 500 bones later I have myself a beautiful orange bug.
Super Beetles were 72 and later.

I used to have a 70 and a 65

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Ciaran said:
SWEEET! Everyone's first car should be an old VW. That or an old Mustang. Congratulations, and welcome to the VW family. I recently had to sell my 67 Ghia, but I loved her dearly. VW's are easy to work on and if you take care of them and give them love and good vibes, they'll take care of you. Congratulations again! :thumb:
Karman Ghia's..yummy

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Dirt rider said:

That's awesome...take really really good care of it.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Ciaran said:

CoolI had a 68 mustang as my first car, 289 V8! :thumb:

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
dexterq20 said:

You ever notice its old fat spinsters driving those? There was a woman that parked in the lot where I used to work that got a red one and put black dots all over it like a lady bug and her vanity plate said....LADYBUG or some form of it...she was older, heavy and looked like one of those women that like to hang dried flower arrangements all over her apartment or house. You know...the type with the big Tootsie style plastic glasses frames? Short curly hair and they wear stretch pants all the time?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Sweet! I had a '72 Super Beetle when I was in high-school. Bought it for $700 and rebuilt it from the rockers up. Dumped $6000 into it only to have it totaled in an accident 6 months after I finished it! :( I miss her.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
dh girlie said:
That's awesome...take really really good care of it.
oh this bug is my baby. ive been trying to get a coat of wax on her since the day she came here. but its been rain ing for 3 days but sofar ive vacumed and wiped down the whole interior. fixed the trunk latch. taken a massive dent out of the driverside door at the sme tim finding out why the diver side window would only roll down half way, fixed. checked the engine timing out and tuned the carb up.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
stevew said:
Karman Ghia's..yummy
Not to hijack the thread but damn that's one sweet Ghia. If you look close you can tell that it's a real early one. late 50's I think. Also looks like it's in the middle of a resto. Dang it! Now I have that itch again... I need to go get another Ghia. They are sooo much fun to drive. Nothing like German iron with Italian styling.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Ciaran said:
Not to hijack the thread but damn that's one sweet Ghia. If you look close you can tell that it's a real early one. late 50's I think. Also looks like it's in the middle of a resto. Dang it! Now I have that itch again... I need to go get another Ghia. They are sooo much fun to drive. Nothing like German iron with Italian styling.

I thought it was rather pimpin myowndamnself.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Ciaran said:
me thinks it is a 58 or 59.

Oct 30, 2001
Fremont
stevew said:
me thinks it is a 58 or 59.
That's the first generation body. rounded front end squared off lil tailights. I had a 59' but unloaded it because of the rust and sagging door hinges. This copper one is from a sight offering air suspension. I may have to sell my harley for another air cooled type I now that on the fly adjustability is offered.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Southbay Bomber said:
That's the first generation body. rounded front end squared off lil tailights. I had a 59' but unloaded it because of the rust and sagging door hinges. This copper one is from a sight offering air suspension. I may have to sell my harley for another air cooled type I now that on the fly adjustability is offered.
The ghia was painted at www.kustomcoachwerks.com.

The bags came from www.airkewld.com.

If you look on the kustom coachwerks site they are doing a split window on bags with a eight inch narrowed beam.