Quantcast

I bought a Wal-Mart bike!!!

L

luelling

It should be here this friday...I bought the Mongoose EC DH bike. I bought it on employee purchase so the deal was amazing. I had a DHI and loved it, so I'm sure I'll like this bike.....but I bet get a lot of sh** at the races. When I get it I'll post pics and first ride impressions

I'm actually getting this and selling my current frame so I can use the components off that bike to build up my custom frame OGD is making for me....but I need a bike in the meantime

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Lue - hope you like it, I had a chance to test one at the NORBA Finals in VT. last year and really liked the geometry on it. Nicely balanced and flickable.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
You can pick these up at Walgreens, Home Depot and Rite Aid as well.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Dr. Ill said:
I wouldn't buy a Mongoose no madder how good the deal was.
At the price these bikes go for you could have money left over for spelling lessons? But hey, it doesn’t madder to me.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
BC Van:
At the price these bikes go for you could have money left over for spelling lessons? But hey, it doesn’t madder to me.
Haha - nice one...

H8R:
...put it this way - if you really think the EC-D is a Wal-Mart bike, then you're going to feel like a jacka$$ when somebody beats you on one.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
The last race I went to there were about 7 or 8 guys out there pinning it on the new Mongoose. I've ridden one around, and can tell you that it is an amazing bike. I'm planning to rock one this season. I seriosly doubt anyone will say anything negative to you or about the bike.

You will love the bike...trust me!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
damn it...it's just not a Mongoose without that fat, angry squirrel rat rearing up and attacking on the side of the frame!!!

EC...how can let them leave that off...it's a tradition..."RAARRGHH" says the Mongoose rat thing...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
bizutch said:
damn it...it's just not a Mongoose without that fat, angry squirrel rat rearing up and attacking on the side of the frame!!!

EC...how can let them leave that off...it's a tradition..."RAARRGHH" says the Mongoose rat thing...
Actually Butch, I beleieve that "rat thing" was a mongoose

It makes sense you know...

Oh yeah, used to rock the Mongoose BMX bike back in the day. Indestructable cro-mo frame while my friends were blowing up DG's and Redlines left and right. Haha, and don't forget the Tuff wheels. To the original poster, don't let the naysayers bring you down. If you got a good deal and you like the ride, who cares!! Just get out there and ride!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
H8R said:

why does it look like that suspension would only be activ ewhen you are sitting on the seat?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
biggins said:
why does it look like that suspension would only be activ ewhen you are sitting on the seat?
Visually it does look a little URT'ish but not sure....

Haro is rolling the URT back out in 2006, i test rode one......it's just wrong....

J

JRB

I'd roll one. I saw in shrymp's thread on Monday that there was a guy riding one. I kind of thought about one for an urban hard tail, but it wasn't want I was looking for exactly.

greg447

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
new hampshire
I thought about a Mongoose before, that bikes looks awesome. Have fun on it and if anyone says anything just pin it and beat them : )

L

luelling

I picked it up yesterday and put it together. I like the bike and I think the geometry will make the bike handle really well. I also like the new boxxer, lots of tuning options. The big question is, which shock mount is 7" of travel and which one is 8"? I did change out the cranks with a set of Hone cranks I have becuase the chainline was horrible with the stock cranks due to the really wide outboard bearings.

Attachments

L

luelling

I hadn't seen one up close till I bought mine, and it was interesting to see how they implemented the Idrive system. I had a DHI a while ago, and this operates the same, but looks completely different.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
luelling said:
I The big question is, which shock mount is 7" of travel and which one is 8"?
8" would be the mount closest to the pivot (think leverage)

Visually it does look a little URT'ish but not sure....
the pic above shows whats going on; really the rear axle is a high single pivot and the BB is linked independently and moves slightly to reduce chain feedback. Basically a complicated way of making a BB7 (ie BB moves rather than alter the chainline with a pulley). So really not a URT at all.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
sayndesyn said:
You shouldn't mock. Afterall how many of you are doctors?
If my doctor's spelling/grammer was that bad, I'd be scared (or looking for a new doctor).

P.S. BTW, nice bike Brett!

L

luelling

sneakysnake said:
how much was it?
Retail is a bit over 3k, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say how much I got it for....doesn't that break the employee purchase rules or something?

Also, I was riding it and noticed it came with a pre-bent der. hanger! Sweet! Don't you have to pay extra for upgrades like that? :) I was suprised it was bent slightly becuase it was hard to bend it back

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
zedro said:
8" would be the mount closest to the pivot (think leverage)

the pic above shows whats going on; really the rear axle is a high single pivot and the BB is linked independently and moves slightly to reduce chain feedback. Basically a complicated way of making a BB7 (ie BB moves rather than alter the chainline with a pulley). So really not a URT at all.
It's an iDrive/Maverick. Wewt.