Quantcast

I bought some Crossmax XL's...(but I dont fully understand UST)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
So yeah, I got a smoking deal on these wheels locally, but what the crap do I do when I get a flat?

I havent got the wheels at home yet, but is there some type of stan's style rim strip that Id have to remove to THEN put in a tube?

And do I need high pressure air to set the bead? If Im on the trail, do I NEED CO2? Or will my hand pump work?

Must I use some Slime inside?

There sure is alot to this bicycle riding crap.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
A little sealant will make them hold air longer. As for flats, carry a tube with you. Mavic UST wheels have no rim strips.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
BeerDemon said:
A little sealant will make them hold air longer. As for flats, carry a tube with you. Mavic UST wheels have no rim strips.
So will I just remove the valve stem somehow to put in the tube? Is that easy? Will I need a tool?

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
BurlyShirley said:
So will I just remove the valve stem somehow to put in the tube? Is that easy? Will I need a tool?
Yeah it's that easy. Just unthread the valve nut on the outside and slide the valve up through the rim. No tools necessary.

The one thing about this that is a crapper is that it is almost impossible to get a UST tire seated correctly if you don't use a little soapy water on the bead. You won't have soapy water on the trail so you are going to have low and high spots. No biggie off road but you'll feel it on the road. If you have a long ride back to the car it kinda sucks.

However, the benefits of UST far outweigh these inconveniences.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
BurlyShirley said:
Probably not, although it depends on how tight the valve is attached to the rim.

It's also possible to patch a UST tire, although I haven't done it myself yet, although I need to try soon for a ride on Monday.

Otherwise, I'm lovin' UST. :love: Not having to deal with tubes or sealing goop is great.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
BeerDemon said:
The one thing about this that is a crapper is that it is almost impossible to get a UST tire seated correctly if you don't use a little soapy water on the bead. You won't have soapy water on the trail so you are going to have low and high spots. No biggie off road but you'll feel it on the road. If you have a long ride back to the car it kinda sucks.

True. And although I've seated UST tires with a hand-pump and a lot of soapy water, it's much easier with compressed air. You have to pump it until you hear the "Pop!" and then set your air pressure. I run around 35psi in my Conti Vertical Pro 2.3's and 30 psi in Michie Comp 16 2.5's.

Personally, I've found running low "DH-style" pressures to be counter-productive with UST. It's not required for optimum traction and makes the tire very unstable.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
About that UST valve stem: there's a small rubber o-ring inside the locking nut that seals the hole. I've found that threading the nut too tightly causes the o-ring to not seal properly. It's a fine line between just right and overtightening that little bastard.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
My wheels are built with Mavic x3.1/XM819 rim...which is essentially the same rim used on the XMax XL wheelset. I use a scoop of Stan's Sealant in each tire for good measure. It's not necessary, but it gives me a little extra protection against the thorns around here.

I was able to seat my current tires (Maxxis Ignitors) with a floor pump, but not the Schwalbes I had before. If you fix a UST tire out on the trail I doubt you'll be able to get the tire to reseat with CO2 let alone a hand pump. Your best bet will be to pull the tubeless valve stem and throw in a tube.

I love the UST setup. Doesn't work for everyone, but it works for me.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Good stuff. Im thinking Ill really like these wheels.

To be honest, Ive never owned a true set of high zoot wheels. Ive had tons of XT/Rhyno lites and even some Hadleys on doublewides, so Im hoping I notice a big difference.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
I've simply used tubes in my Crossmax Sls for the last ~3 years. Works very much like every other wheel I've ever had. :D

I've never had a tube last more than a handful of hours. I don't know how anyone can not hate tubes unless your are running super thick ones with slime?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
stosh said:
Basically all you need to know about UST is they too dont' float.
Have you ever ridden far enough to be by water and try it?:rofl: The creek here is AT LEAST 7 miles in.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
BurlyShirley said:
Good stuff. Im thinking Ill really like these wheels.

To be honest, Ive never owned a true set of high zoot wheels. Ive had tons of XT/Rhyno lites and even some Hadleys on doublewides, so Im hoping I notice a big difference.
Order spare spokes now and save yourself the murderous aggravation of having to wait a week or two when one breaks. They are good wheels but spokes will break.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Westy said:
Order spare spokes now and save yourself the murderous aggravation of having to wait a week or two when one breaks. They are good wheels but spokes will break.
Will do. Working at a shop will definitely help w/ stuff like this too, as Ive heard they are pricey.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
I've never had a tube last more than a handful of hours. I don't know how anyone can not hate tubes unless your are running super thick ones with slime?
Odd. I get the occasional flat, but usually run my tires sufficiently pressured to avoid them. Are you getting pinch flats mostly? They're just regular ol' tubes with no slime.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
Odd. I get the occasional flat, but usually run my tires sufficiently pressured to avoid them. Are you getting pinch flats mostly? They're just regular ol' tubes with no slime.
A little bit of everything. If I pump the tire over 35 psi I find it to be completely uncontrolable.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
They will? When? :confused: :p

Edit: I really should buy a few extras, just in case.
Everyone I know, including myself, that has Crossmaxes has broken spokes. A significant # of incidents are caused by loose sticks getting kicked up into the rear wheel, something you may not experience in your neck of the woods. Oh and they actually ride their bikes too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Westy said:
Everyone I know, including myself, that has Crossmaxes has broken spokes. A significant # of incidents are caused by loose sticks getting kicked up into the rear wheel, something you may not experience in your neck of the woods.
Not so many sticks. Lots of rocks and dust, but little in the way of sticks. Of course, most of our trails are groomed like our ski runs. :D
Oh and they actually ride their bikes too.
Why you........... you........... :mumble: :eviltongu

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
BurlyShirley said:
So yeah, I got a smoking deal on these wheels locally, but what the crap do I do when I get a flat?

I havent got the wheels at home yet, but is there some type of stan's style rim strip that Id have to remove to THEN put in a tube?

And do I need high pressure air to set the bead? If Im on the trail, do I NEED CO2? Or will my hand pump work?

Must I use some Slime inside?

There sure is alot to this bicycle riding crap.

Pick up a set of the Park metal tire levers. They are your best freind when mounting most UST tires. Not sure I would bring them on the trail, but are a *must* for home use.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
berkshire_rider said:
Pick up a set of the Park metal tire levers. They are your best freind when mounting most UST tires. Not sure I would bring them on the trail, but are a *must* for home use.
I think it depends on the tires. I've installed and removed the Michie's and Contis on my D3.1's with no tools at all. And I've got weak, CAD-monkey hands... :rolleyes:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Ian F said:
I think it depends on the tires. I've installed and removed the Michie's and Contis on my D3.1's with no tools at all. And I've got weak, CAD-monkey hands... :rolleyes:
:D Yeah - I've found that technique is the most important part of putting on tight tires. Get that bead down in the groove and you're golden. :thumb:

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Westy said:
Word. Tubes suck. If anybody needs any I have two shopping bags full of them, each with merely one or two small holes.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
As a note, I replaced the Mavic UST stems with Stan's UST stems. They have a removable presta valve core for adding sealant and you don't have to jack with the Mavic o-ring. These stems work great.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
it is possible to bring soapy water, just simple mix some and through it into a water bottle just in case! you can always use a puddle..

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
habitatxskate said:
it is possible to bring soapy water, just simple mix some and through it into a water bottle just in case! you can always use a puddle..
Sweet jesus, please stop posting.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BeerDemon said:
Yeah it's that easy. Just unthread the valve nut on the outside and slide the valve up through the rim. No tools necessary.

I tend to just use a little stans on the bead, and a bit of stans in the wheel as well. Helps it seat initially, as well as stay sealed.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
BeerDemon said:

It must depend on the tire brand...the last two UST tires I've run, a Michelin and Maxxis, I did not use soapy water and only a hand pump and they seated without any problems. They don't leak any air either so I've been very happy with UST so far.

What I've had problems with is setting up Non-UST tires to run tubeless. I've never been able to get a non-UST tire to seal, even using soapy water, Stan's and an air compressor.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Joe Pozer said:
It must depend on the tire brand...the last two UST tires I've run, a Michelin and Maxxis, I did not use soapy water and only a hand pump and they seated without any problems. They don't leak any air either so I've been very happy with UST so far.

What I've had problems with is setting up Non-UST tires to run tubeless. I've never been able to get a non-UST tire to seal, even using soapy water, Stan's and an air compressor.
Two new michelins. The front took me forever to get to air up. The rear went without a problem, no soapy water or anything.

It seems to come down to the individual tire and rim.

I've yet to have an issue on the trail with them but figure I'll just toss in a tube and deal with it when I get back.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Here's a UST tip:

Mavic UST valve stems don't have threads on them. Any pump that has been used much at all and has some wear on the rubber seal will have a hard time sealing around the smooth Mavic valve stem. This can really be a problem on the trail. For years, I have been taking a strip of electrical tape, cutting it in half lengthwise, and wrapping it around the top of the valve stem and the nut. This creates a seal that will accomodate just about any pump.

Irritates me when I take my bike to the shop and the shop goons remove the tape (and I notice out on the trail) :mumble:

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
DRB said:
I've yet to have an issue on the trail with them but figure I'll just toss in a tube and deal with it when I get back.
I do the same thing, I just carry a tube with me and I'll deal with any issues when I get back home. So far I haven't had any problems...