Quantcast

I brewed a bad batch

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Eff.

I purchased a Rogue Imperial IPA extract clone from Austin Homebrew and the batch seems to be a bomb. The entire process seemed to go just fine...no real problems to speak of at all. It's been bottled for five weeks now and it's completely flat. No carbonation whatsoever. I don't know where I could have gone wrong. I've got the bottles stored in my basement where it's consistently about 65-70 degrees.

This is the second SUCK double IPA I've made in two tries. :thumbsdown: Maybe I should stick to low OG beers from now on.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
^ Hey, that's a good idea! I have a bag of those carb tablets. I'll try that on a few bottles tonight and see what happens. Hopefully the bottles are not in a state of delayed carbonation right now and won't explode if tablets are added. I'll put them in a sealed container just in case.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
^ Hey, that's a good idea! I have a bag of those carb tablets. I'll try that on a few bottles tonight and see what happens. Hopefully the bottles are not in a state of delayed carbonation right now and won't explode if tablets are added. I'll put them in a sealed container just in case.
Did you get to drinking and forget about your priming sugar? :weee:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
wrong. that IS your mistake. you must drink while brewing....:thumb:
Well on top of me losing concentration when I drink, I also brew first thing in the morning and beer at 8:00 AM just isn't my thing. :p

Oh, to answer BV's question in his first reply, my OG and FG readings were spot on.

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA
Well on top of me losing concentration when I drink, I also brew first thing in the morning and beer at 8:00 AM just isn't my thing. :p

Oh, to answer BV's question in his first reply, my OG and FG readings were spot on.
Granted earliest I've started brewing is 9:00 AM but beer tasted good then. One hour can't make that big of a difference.

To your issue, how long did it sit before you bottled and at what temp, also what were the starting and ending gravities? Also what yeast was used and was any added at bottling?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Granted earliest I've started brewing is 9:00 AM but beer tasted good then. One hour can't make that big of a difference.

To your issue, how long did it sit before you bottled and at what temp, also what were the starting and ending gravities? Also what yeast was used and was any added at bottling?
It sat in primary for two weeks, followed by secondary for two weeks. It was 70 degrees when I bottled it. On bottling day, I boiled the priming sugar for 60 seconds, let it cool, then pitched it into the bottling barrel with the beer prior to bottling. I used Wyeast Pacman Ale 1764. I pitched it after brewing...no yeast added after that.

I don't have the OG and FG numbers in front of me right now, but they were exactly what the recipe instructions said they'd be.

Here is a link to the kit I bought:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=2121

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I've heard of guys warming the bottles up a bit. say from 70 to 80 or so. Might want to give that a try.

Did you stir up the yeast a bit when you put the beer in the bottling bucket/transfered from secondary? If you left it all behind, it's probably not going to carbonate.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I seem to have a similar problem farily frequently with my beer. Not flat, but under-carbonated. I have yet to figure out why this happens. BTW, no such thing as a "bad batch", only batches that did not turn out as well as you'd expected. You can still drink it, don't be afraid.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've heard of guys warming the bottles up a bit. say from 70 to 80 or so. Might want to give that a try.

Did you stir up the yeast a bit when you put the beer in the bottling bucket/transfered from secondary? If you left it all behind, it's probably not going to carbonate.
I left as much yeast behind as I could when I transferred to secondary. That's what teh BEER instructions say. I did my prior six batches the same way and they all carbonated fine.

I took BV's suggestion and added three Munson's carb tabs to two bottles each. I put the bottles into a closed Rubbermaid tub. I'll crack one of those open this weekend.

To answer Arutha's gravity question:

OG was 1080
FG was 1016

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Have your previous bottles had sediment in the bottoms? do these current ones have any?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Have your previous bottles had sediment in the bottoms? do these current ones have any?
Of the 4-5 batches I've done, I've never stirred up yeast before bottling. Not even on my last batch when I did a secondary fermentation where a lot more yeast should have settled out.

Always carbonated, always plenty of sediment.

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA
I left as much yeast behind as I could when I transferred to secondary. That's what teh BEER instructions say. I did my prior six batches the same way and they all carbonated fine.

I took BV's suggestion and added three Munson's carb tabs to two bottles each. I put the bottles into a closed Rubbermaid tub. I'll crack one of those open this weekend.

To answer Arutha's gravity question:

OG was 1080
FG was 1016
You're on the cusp of needing to add more yeast. I am not sure how pacman flocculates but that could be part of the problem. Also when you get around a OG 1.080 you might want to add a 1/4 pack of dry yeast to your bottling bucket with the sugars. Mix well, of course careful not to aerate, and then bottle.

As for your current issue I'd try warming them up as someone else mentinoed. Maybe 75 or a little more for a couple weeks and test. If that doesn't help you can add some dry yeast to the bottles but that doesn't always work either but worth a shot. A few granulars per bottle, re-hydrating the yeast is best but not sure how to add it to bottles after you do that. I've had some larger beers take months to carb up but you certainly don't want to wait with an IPA.

I recommend a keg system. :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
are you saving money by brewing your own?
It's a lot cheaper in the long run, but few homebrewers do it because of the cost savings. We do it because it's fun.

To give you an example, the last batch I brewed comes to about $6 for a six pack. The same beer (Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout) goes for $10 for a four pack in a beer store. So, I'm "saving" over 50%. But that doesn't take into account the original equipment cost and the time spent brewing. I figure the equipment will be paid for in beer savings after 10 batches or so.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Could it be a case where your alc% is too high for the yeast to keep doing their "thang" and convert the priming sugars?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
It's a lot cheaper in the long run, but few homebrewers do it because of the cost savings. We do it because it's fun.

To give you an example, the last batch I brewed comes to about $6 for a six pack. The same beer (Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout) goes for $10 for a four pack in a beer store. So, I'm "saving" over 50%. But that doesn't take into account the original equipment cost and the time spent brewing. I figure the equipment will be paid for in beer savings after 10 batches or so.
I feel really bad for all you people who can't get a yummy microbrew for $6.75-$7 per six pack.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I feel really bad for all you people who can't get a yummy microbrew for $6.75-$7 per six pack.
I live in the land of microbrews and the only time I see/buy $7 sixers is when they are on sale.

There's something really cool about drinking a beer you made. and doing it from raw ingrediants (all grain) is even more special.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
please tell me where you shop. thanks.
Woodmans. Capital Brewery starts at $6.99/sixer and goes down to $6.75 when you buy 4 (mixed case). New Glarus starts at $7.50 (?) and drops to $7 or $7.25 with a mixed case. Lake Louie, Ale Assylum, Tyranena, Central Waters etc I think start around 8, but also go down when you buy in case quantities. Sprecher is around 6.50 as well, but that's for the brewers reserve 4-pack (16oz bottles).

Obviously any of the special limited release brews are more (think the Unplugged series is $8/4-pack?), but any of the seasonals are usually included in that (so Capital's Maibock, NG's Octoberfest/Dancing Man Wheat, etc).

edit: Swung by tonight to see if there was any of the new NG (nope), and took this for you TN

Last edited:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
damm. I have to pay for the entire kit? I only pay for what I consume. ship the rest of the bad batch to me...:D

as for beer prices, I picked up a sixxer of Deschutes Obsidian Stout for $6.99. It was on sale so it was about $1.50 less.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Woodmans. Capital Brewery starts at $6.99/sixer and goes down to $6.75 when you buy 4 (mixed case). New Glarus starts at $7.50 (?) and drops to $7 or $7.25 with a mixed case. Lake Louie, Ale Assylum, Tyranena, Central Waters etc I think start around 8, but also go down when you buy in case quantities. Sprecher is around 6.50 as well, but that's for the brewers reserve 4-pack (16oz bottles).
Damn. You have to drive to the burbs to get those prices here. I usually pay around $8 for NG but sometimes I can catch it on sale for around 7 & change.

f'n Furthermore is going for over $9 lately. WTF is up with that?

Central Water is pushing $9 at my local beer shop.

Admittedly I go there for the convenience, the free atari & the fact it is not Whole Foods.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So is the batch doomed to suck?
It'd be a pain in the ass, but I don't see why you couldn't add a small amount of yeast and the carbonation drops to each bottle? That is, if the carb drops don't work by themselves on the bottles you tried.

Risk of contamination goes up but if you're careful it should be okay.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Didn't work. Still flat. I am really close to just dumping the batch. Even if I open the bottles and add more yeast, that's not going to fix the awful taste. $54 drain pour. *sigh*

I opened a bottle of my latest batch though...Sam Smith Oatmeal stout clone. That one came out great! Tastes awesome and is perfectly carbonated.