Quantcast

I broke yet another Bike!

splat

Nam I am
Yup thats 3 since the mid december.

the victim this Time. A Giant AC1. I just finsihed bulding it yesterday , did a little trail and Dirt jumping with my Son with it, today did an early morning ride with Vozz and IF_rider. about 2 Hrs in it is really flexing a lot in the tail end. and sure enough on a technical down hill Snap!! One chainstay! made for an interesting 2 mile ride back.

Once I get it all fixed I'll have to make a Bike whoring thread :D

Vos

Chimp
Apr 23, 2006
I seam to recall If_Rider say that last time he saw that much flex in his AC, it was a broken frame. Guess he wasn't too far off. Glad you didn't get hurt when it failed. Get that backup triangle on and we'll get you off the Frame Twister in no time.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
maybe you should get a job with a bike company to do product fatige testing! :twitch:

glad you were ok. I got a flat today about 50 ft. down a long downhill, and wasn't about to stop to change it! I just rode it out! Made for a bit of a sketchy downhill! I could only imagine the chainstay letting go! glad you were ok! :thumb:

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
This is great to hear...I'm in the process of building a giant ac1 right now!

At least giant is awsome with their warranties! Thats comforting....

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Wow I thrashed my AC1 since 2002 and its still going strong. I even went through a period of doing 8-10 stair drops to flat soon after I got it until I slipped a pedal on landing one to many times. Now I value my shins too much.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I won't make any weight jokes since I'm happy to have not broken anything considering my "winter coat" has yet to shed. :D

That is a clean break, though. JB Weld it and your done. j/k

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I rode an AC for about a year and hated it. It rode great when I didn't pedal or use the brakes, which wasn't nearly often enough. Hopefully you'll get a Reign out of it, as I've heard good things about the suspension design.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I've seen AC's snap there before, not too suprising. Giant waranty will treat you well.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
You're starting to sound like me 3-4 years ago....In the span of about 18 months I broke 5 frames (all at welds...). Giant warranty took good care of me when I toasted my AC1 in that exact spot. You'll be set in a month or so!

splat

Nam I am

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
You use some mighty good fertilizer splat!

Show us the whole bike please! And try not to break this version okay. :)

It looks like there is blood on that tree. :think: