Quantcast

i can access 216.109.112.135 but not a yahoo.com

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
system diag says "DNSServerSearchOrder FAILED".

2 computers of my lan got the same problem within 24 hours.
the internerd was gone, but the lan was fine. we could ping other computers within the lan and stuff. this happened out of nowhere. the router configuration is fine.

on one, first the lan card died. so we switched to the integrated. it was fine for a day.
on the 2nd one, the lan card just went straight to be in the same situation as the 1st computer.

internet explorer nor firefox worked.... BUT we could make a remote desktop connection to a computer on the other side of the world. other programs that use the internet (ad aware) can check for upgrades.

i can access the internet, if i type in the ip adress for a site on the explorer (yahoo.com, our domain, etc), but not by the domain name.
weird.
i checked everything. and the system information says "DNSServerSearchOrder FAILED".

i´ve reinstalled windows (fresh copy) on one computer, but no improvement. any help please?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Your ISPs nameservers are dead. You need a couple new nameservers to plug into your internet settings.

I don't know if Cox (my ISP) will let you perform NS lookups using their nameservers, but you can try it:

Plug those into your internet settings.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
binary visions said:
Your ISPs nameservers are dead. You need a couple new nameservers to plug into your internet settings.
how exactly is that done pretty please?
btw, the rest of the computers on the same lan work perfectly and can resolve dns..... its only those 2 computers with the problem.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ALEXIS_DH said:
how exactly is that done pretty please?
btw, the rest of the computers on the same lan work perfectly and can resolve dns..... its only those 2 computers with the problem.
Network settings, right click, click Properties, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click Properties, check off Use The Following DNS Servers, and input those servers above.

If that doesn't solve the problem, something else is hosed... let me know how it works out.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
binary visions said:
Network settings, right click, click Properties, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click Properties, check off Use The Following DNS Servers, and input those servers above.

If that doesn't solve the problem, something else is hosed... let me know how it works out.

the awesomeness. problem solved.
but kinda weird, because the dns that didnt work for one of those computeres, works for the others...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ALEXIS_DH said:
the awesomeness. problem solved.
but kinda weird, because the dns that didnt work for one of those computeres, works for the others...
Well, there are several possibilities... If your computers are all set to internal IP addresses then the nameservers might be rejecting so many connections from one external IP. The computers might just be flaky and not receiving the ISPs nameservers right. The other computers might just have a lot of nameserver data cached and you'll find problems after reboot or whatever... Lots of possibilities.

If you ever can't resolve domain names, though, the first thing you should do as a troubleshooting step is swap out the nameservers and see if that fixes it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You should contact your ISP and tell them the problem, though, since you're paying for internet access and their own nameservers should work.

If you just find out what their nameservers are and plug them into the internet settings, you might find that it fixes the problem. The problem may just be that the computers weren't receiving the nameservers at connection.