Quantcast

I can has turbo Subaru Outback?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I test drove a used 2007 Outback Wagon 2.5 tubo today. I like the responsiveness of the engine but was somewhat unimpressed by the automatic transmission; the electronic shift was also unimpressive. Right now I have the 2.5 and a standard 5 speed. I would have been hooked had they had a 5 speed turbo Legacy Outback wagon but was informed that 2007 was the last year for that combo. Not sure I'd buy a turbo used. :monkey:

I also asked about a Legacy Turbo with manual transmission – no go on that as well.

I test drove the new Forester model, not sure which one – middle of the road with turbo at $26,000.00. It was fine but I’m not a lesbian so I had to pass… actually I think they’re ugly RAV4ish. Form may follow function but it can trump it as well.

So my question to Subaru turbo owners is – are they worth it? What have you experienced good & bad? How expensive is maintenance? What kind of mileage are you getting? What model? Manual or automatic?

What do you like or dislike about the “sport” transmission?

If I can has turbo it will be a new Legacy Outback wagon… just looking for input since I’m not sure if giving up the manual 5 speed is worth the turbo upgrade.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I can tell you one thing for sure, the Forester/Butte combo is going to result in no action at all. None.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
auto trannies + turbos are a horrible combination imo. you need a stick to keep the turbo on the boil. i got 19-22 mpg out of my 5-speed 2.0 liter WRX, albeit a very non-stock WRX with shorter gearing among other things.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
that 2007 was the last year for that combo. Not sure I'd buy a turbo used. :monkey:
Just get a CPO'd one still within warranty, and have someone take the depreciation hit for you...

Turbo automatics suck, and an 07 Outback XT with 20k isn't going to give you problems.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The turbo needs to be mated to a manual. Have you looked at the H6? It's the 6-cylinder normally aspirated Outback. Very nice. and it might be more of what you are looking for.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
...but was informed that 2007 was the last year for that combo. Not sure I'd buy a turbo used.
translation - uh, sorry mister, we don't have one of those in stock right now, and I'm supposed to sell what's on the lot.

www.subaru.com - the Outback 2.5 XT Limited comes stock with a 5sp, with auto as a $1200 option. 243hp turbo 2.5l.

link (if it works)

edit: although if you WERE serious about the whole STi/middle management thing, get the STi, swap the hatch (with spoiler) with the hatch from an Imprezza 2.5 (without spoiler), install a FMIC and ditch that horrible gaping mouth of a hood. Voila, instant sleeper. :)

edit # 2: the guy was also full of sh!t about the Legacy, the turbo Legacy 2.5 GT B-Spec comes with the 243hp turbo and 6sp manual, and the normal Legacy 2.5 GT comes stock with a 5sp.

Last edited:

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I've been driving a WRX wagon for a year and a half and it is great. Turbo with a manual tranny and i get 20-24 mpg. AWD is great, car is durable, i have yet to have any issues and i drive it hard often, although not lately with the gas prices.

Legacy GTs come turboed with manual trannies as stated.

I've seen some pretty sick turbo foresters stock and modded. The newer foresters don't look as dykebowlerish. Any cars aesthetics can be addressed with some some part swaps, you'd be surprised how awesome a forester looks slammed.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have the 2.0 Turbo WRX wagon and hate the low end torque and turbo lag. That is why I bought a GTI and will be selling the WRX in a few months.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yes. It also has a 2.0 turbo but with much much better low end pull.

I don't know how the Subie 2.5 Turbos feel.
My brief impression was plenty of power you could not fully utilize due to the automatic transmission - backing off on the gas caused immediate under-steer and more body roll than I have ever experienced in my wagon. Using the electronic shift option worked to some degree but wasn't satisfying. I didn't feel as confident accelerating out of corners in the automatic as I do in my manual. Straight line freeway was fun - 60 to 90 pretty damn fast.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My brief impression was plenty of power you could not fully utilize due to the automatic transmission - backing off on the gas caused immediate under-steer and more body roll than I have ever experienced in my wagon. Using the electronic shift option worked to some degree but wasn't satisfying. I didn't feel as confident accelerating out of corners in the automatic as I do in my manual. Straight line freeway was fun - 60 to 90 pretty damn fast.

Otter-matics suck, but they are difficult to find these days on any cars that do not have a large international distribution

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Now that I think about it, I think it was someone on here who had transmission issues with their Outback. But I could be wrong.

Ever hear someone compliment a Subaru with an automatic transmission?

And anecdotally the failure rate appears to be appallingly high.

Manual trans FTW!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I was toying with the idea of an '05 Legacy wagon GT. It was a manual and super nice. I imagine making it go really fast was just a matter of learning how to drive it. It was plenty quick for me.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
My Nissan Frontier's manual transmission blew like a ten dollar whore; several times.

I like my 5 spd Outback Impreza Wagon with the non-turbo 2.5. 26-27 MPG, peppy enough around town, cruises nicely on the highway, and handles well. It's not fast, of course, but it likes revs and can be reasonably fun in twisties if you want it to be. It was also pretty cheap new.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My Nissan Frontier's manual transmission blew like a ten dollar whore; several times.
:rofl:

Some sort of mfgr defect?

The one I was present for was a Suzuki Samurai. It was leaking fluid like a $2 whore when it shattered itself. :D

Another advantage of the manual - IF it blows up it's almost always MUCH cheaper to replace then an AT.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Agree, but Uncle Scotty's cocktail does help quite a bit.
You can play mad scientist with the oil, double clutch and still have to slip the hell out of second if you are rolling at about 8mph and have to get on the gas. It gives you a bit of a British Motoring feel without the electrical fires.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Like squishy suspension, and crappy interiors, and poor interior volume, and poor initial quality, and terrible looks, and...

Sorry mang, I despise the new WRXs ;)
After driving the GTI for a while I thought something was wrong with the front end of the WRX. It wanders down straight roads and feels like the tires are flat during the initial turn in on corners. Once settled into a corner it handles great. I took it to an alignment shop and they said it was perfect. It just felt like crap when compared to something, dare I say, better. My 04 is a fine car it just lacks in certain "feel" areas, hard to describe but it just isn't very enjoyable driving experience unless you spend all your time at full boost.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
After driving the GTI for a while I thought something was wrong with the front end of the WRX. It wanders down straight roads and feels like the tires are flat during the initial turn in on corners. Once settled into a corner it handles great. I took it to an alignment shop and they said it was perfect. It just felt like crap when compared to something, dare I say, better. My 04 is a fine car it just lacks in certain "feel" areas, hard to describe but it just isn't very enjoyable driving experience unless you spend all your time at full boost.
The new (A5) GTIs are hideous, but they're very good for a FWD car, much better than most everything in their segment, save perhaps the Mazdaspeed 3.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The new (A5) GTIs are hideous, but they're very good for a FWD car, much better than most everything in their segment, save perhaps the Mazdaspeed 3.
I'm very happy with mine, short of the overly ambitious 180mph speedometer. It is a great real world car.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
most factory turbos are wtfsmall anyways, I say if you want to turbo it for anything above like 1psi then your best bet is to get a n/a motor and boost it yourself. Granted, Subaru has vehicles geared for performance so their turbos will probably be larger than most other factory turbos, but you can still get better performance on the N/A model by boosting it yourself.

Then you get the option of turbo size (which affects boost pressure and turbo lag to a degree, larger turbo means more centripetal inertia which means more turbo lag, but you can get higher volumes of air through it once it's spun up) and psi.

Never buy a car with an automatic transmission. Period.
Fixed.... Autotragic transmissions are horrible. 10-15% powertrain loss, lower mpg, higher initial and maintenance costs, etc. I will only drive manaul transmissions.

Now, assuming that you're looking for something with decent space and power (why else would you get a turbocharged 2.5L wagon...), I'd suggest a VW GTI or something else along those lines. Actually, looking into a used outback turbo wagon wouldn't be a bad idea. Yeah, it's not brand new but if it's last year's model chances are it doesn't have many miles, it hasn't been thrashed too hard, it's still in pretty ace condition and it's cheaper than a new one anyways.

If you're worried about the condition of the turbocharger itself, it's probably fine. Rather than a performance turbocharger which focuses more on volume and pressure than longevity, the factory turbo on a car will probably last just as long as the car itself (due to the low pressure and probably small size of the turbo as I talked about before).

Oh, and since it's boosted from the factory chances are Subaru might have engineered the engine to be stronger (to deal with the extra x psi, again, longevity issues) which means if you were to swap out the factory turbo after the fact you might not have to drop the extra money on hardened internals. I still wouldn't boost it too far, but you could (again, assuming the engine is hardened for the turbo models) push it farther than you would be able to a n/a model.