Quantcast

I can't help but think this is somehow my brother's fault....

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
....or DRB.

We did the home inspection on the new house today. All in all, it's all good. A couple of small things.

However there was mouse poop in the attic. That can't be good. Not good at all.

My wife is freaking out a little about it.

Nothing a little poison can't fix right?

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Poisin is bad, they die in your attic and smell. Sometimes they burrow into the walls first.

Traps are better, you can pull out the bodies.

Just make sure you do a good investigation. You have to plug the holes, no matter how small they seem. If you don't close off the holes you'll never get rid of them. If it is the attic they are probably roof rats, which can get pretty big.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
To make sure you actually get the mice nail/screw down the traps. Many times the traps have "walked off" because the mouse was to big.
If your traps are walking off, you have a rat.
I think every house has mice. People are just in denial. I used to trap a few a year. Then I got a good mouser. He stays up all night starring at the refrigerator.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
We have two cats. Sometimes we wonder if they share a brain. I have seen mice sitting in their food bowl. They ignored it. My cats brain power combined is still dumber then rocks.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've got two Jack Russel Terriers. I don't have a mouse/rat problem, the mice and rats have a dog problem.

I never knew how good they were until after we bailed from NOLA after Katrina for a couple months. Come home and the house was overrun with mouse/rat ****. These two are killing machines.

They also work well on other rodents. My folks had a coven of baby bunnies in their back yard. 60 seconds = 12 dead bunnies.

These two are like a dog version of the "A-Team." The older one is obviously Hannibal Smith, and I think the little one is what would happen if BA and Murdock had a child.

Aug 6, 2007
amish country
yeah,
my boss had a Jack Russel that went after ground hogs in their hole like a Green Beret in Vietnam. he would come back soaked in Ground Hog blood. Get one of those before you get a cat.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
These two have taken out:
Squirrels
Possums
Rats
Several, several cats
Mice
A snake
a blue bird

They are masters of their craft.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Hantavirus? Awesome!

What is that?
Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is a deadly disease transmitted by infected rodents through urine, droppings, or saliva. Humans can contract the disease when they breathe in aerosolized virus. HPS was first recognized in 1993 and has since been identified throughout the United States. Although rare, HPS is potentially deadly. Rodent control in and around the home remains the primary strategy for preventing hantavirus infection. (Wikipedia)

And whoever said poison was not such a good idea was right, if you have many mice. One or two, no biggie. Knock of half a dozen or more, and your house will be invaded by an oppressive sickly sweet smell. Not nice.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Hantavirus? Awesome!

What is that?
Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is a deadly disease transmitted by infected rodents through urine, droppings, or saliva. Humans can contract the disease when they breathe in aerosolized virus. HPS was first recognized in 1993 and has since been identified throughout the United States. Although rare, HPS is potentially deadly. Rodent control in and around the home remains the primary strategy for preventing hantavirus infection. (Wikipedia)
We already have a doctor or two around here...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
And whoever said poison was not such a good idea was right, if you have many mice. One or two, no biggie. Knock of half a dozen or more, and your house will be invaded by an oppressive sickly sweet smell. Not nice.
The previous owners of my house tried the Decon route. During my extensive remodel over the last 6 years I have found dozens of mouse skeletons. The whole myth that the animals get dehydrated and leave your house is a lie.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Use the 5 gallon bucket peanut butter trick. It works every time. 1 5 gallon bucket, 1 stick for a ramp, and some peanut butter on the inside , just below the rim. mouse walks up stick, reaches for food, falls in bucket. You can leave the bucket empty and catch them alive or fill it 1/4 way with water and they will, albeit cruel, eventualy drown. It works like a charm, made some good money on bets with non believer friends.
you can scale this up a bit and use a dumpster and a 5 dollar bill to catch crack whores, or fill the dumpster with water and let them drown.

Last edited: