Quantcast

I don't know what to buy..please help!

need2ski9

Chimp
Nov 23, 2005
San Diego
I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger bike. I've ridden and raced a Giant NRS-1 for 3 years but my racing days are over and I'd like to get into some more technical/agressive xc and all-mountain riding. I primarily ride very rocky terrain in eastern PA and eastern MA with a fair amount of technical climbs and decents. I'm 6-1 200lbs, if that helps. Here's what I'm considering:

Ellsworth ID
Santacruz Heckler
Turner 5-Spot
Giant Reign
Ironhorse MKIII

Does anyone have any advice as to what frame I should go with? I'm competely torn and I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I got a Yeti 575 this season and it's been awesome. You can get different build kits and get it as light as you have dollars. Climbs like a goat and sticks like glue on the descents. 5.75 inches rear travel, so it soaks up hits bigtime. The frame looks really sweet too. I was thinking 5-Spot before I got this, but I went for the Yeti because of the sealed bearing pivot points, extra travel, reviews I read, and not having a million dollars to part with. I had a Turner XCE until I broke it, and it was stupendous too.

J

JRB

I've got a friend that is pretty damned big and pounds a 5 spot and loves it. He put an RP3 on and is in heaven. I would like a Heckler, but from your list, I would likely get the MKIII. Lots of them for sale around here.

need2ski9

Chimp
Nov 23, 2005
San Diego
Thanks for all the advice so far. I guess maybe my post was a bit misleading. The NRS is just too delicate feeling for me, I really want a beafier bike that can take the abuse of some very agressive xc/trail riding, especially since I am no longer racing XC. I want to get into some more freeride type stuff (small drops, northshore, etc), but still be able to ride with my friends from the bottom to the top of the mountain. So far I think the 5-spot and 575 seem like the best choice...does anyone have anything to say about the ironhorse? Thanks again.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
At your height and weight, you sound like the kind of rider who would benifit from riding a 29" wheeled bike.

There are numerous choices!

irishMonkey

Chimp
Jun 17, 2005
Los Olivos
[mtnbrider]

The 575 looks sketchy to me. The tubes are so thin, I would be scared to ride it hard. I would rather have a heckler out of those two. They are both nice bikes, although the heckler seems like it could take more of a beating if used for fr/ light dh.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
A Specialized Enduro could be a great pick, especially that the 06's come almost exclusively with Fox suspension. The Cannondale Prophet series is really good as well.

For what it's worth, my AS-X has 6 and 6 inches of coil sprung suspension, and it rips, especially where it's rocky. Not as light as the other choices, but similar to a Heckler, and very free-ridey.

irishMonkey

Chimp
Jun 17, 2005
Los Olivos
[mtnbrider]

....with honey mustard, mayonaise, onions, tomatoes, swiss cheese, sourdough.....heated.........i'm hungry again...

The yeti as-x is an awsome bike. It comes with either a fox dhx5 or dxh air and a 36 vanilla fork. Seems like an awsome 'do everything' bike.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I would go with the SC Heckler... its a great do -it-all bike at a great price. its made to withstand tons of abuse. you can get the sram pakage with disk brakes for about $2400... it will withsatnd years of abuse.. i am 6'2 235lbs... and I have had mine for 9 yrs just about.. still looking good and going strong

need2ski9

Chimp
Nov 23, 2005
San Diego
thanks for all the response...i think im going to go with a heckler. I'd really love the 5-spot but its just too much cash for a college student. The santa cruz seems to fit in perfectly.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i wouldn't discount the reign.

i saw a guy ride a faith yesterday (8" of travel) and the rear barely moved as he was climbing up stuff. of course, when he was dropping it was a different matter.

the new Spec enduro looks nice but i think outside yr price range.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
hooples3 said:
im sure you will be more than happy with it!!!!now the only problem is what color to get!!!

I noticed they dropped the TransBlue from the Color picker this year. Very sad, glad I already have mine :)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
need2ski9 said:
I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger bike. I've ridden and raced a Giant NRS-1 for 3 years but my racing days are over and I'd like to get into some more technical/agressive xc and all-mountain riding. I primarily ride very rocky terrain in eastern PA and eastern MA with a fair amount of technical climbs and decents. I'm 6-1 200lbs, if that helps. Here's what I'm considering:

Ellsworth ID
Santacruz Heckler
Turner 5-Spot
Giant Reign
Ironhorse MKIII

Does anyone have any advice as to what frame I should go with? I'm competely torn and I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.
Of the bikes on your list, I'd go with the 5-spot by far. If it's too much money, go with a heckler - even a used one as they are pretty easy to find.

On a side note, have you given any consideration to a Yeti 575 or a Ells Moment? I ride a 575 and have beaten the snot out of it. It's a great bike, does everything well, and hasn't flinched once. A buddy rides a moment and is really hard on it. He's got nothing but good things to say about it, and it's stood up to all types of abusive riding.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
fwiw, the ells moment would also probably break the budget.

i know there's a vocal 575 cheering section on this board so here's a counterpoint. my friend who got one last year hated it so much he sold it and got a 5 spot instead. as usual, ymmv.

need2ski9

Chimp
Nov 23, 2005
San Diego
I found a brand new heckler frame for 800 so it looks like im going to pick that up this weekend. It comes with a fox dhx 5.0 shock. Any suggestions for a front fork to match that setup well? I'm considering either a Vanilla 130rlc or a Float 130rlc...both are pretty much the same price over at pricepoint right now (the float is on sale)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
FYI: a fork with a good travel adjustment feature will make climbing easier as you can shorten the travel and drop the front end a bit. I've been very happy wiht my TALAS.