Quantcast

I don't think I'll ever sleep again

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amblypygi

"Amblypygi is an order of invertebrate animals belonging to the class Arachnida, in the subphylum Chelicerata of the phylum Arthropoda.

Amblypygids are also known as tailless whip scorpions (see also whip scorpion). The name "amblypygid" means "blunt rump", a reference to a lack of the telson ("tail") carried by related species.

As of 2002, approximately 5 families, 17 genera and 136 species have been described. They are found in tropical and subtropical regions worldwide. Some species are subterranean; many are nocturnal. During the day, they may hide under logs, bark, stones, or leaves. They prefer a humid environment."

holy crap.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Where do I get one of those? I could really, really **** with the wife with one of them.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
With the warmer weather we seem to have acquired sunspiders all over the place at my work. Those guys and the occasional wolf spiders size of my palm. Seriously, I had no idea wolf spider could get so huge. Most of the girls wig out.

edit: Amblypygi being pseudo-scorpions, sunspiders being pseudo-spiders this post was somewhat related. Amblypygi are pretty cool by the way.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The thing that makes creepy-crawly bugs and insects that much scarier is the fact that they are REAL. If I ever came face to face with one of those GIANT centipedes/millipedes that are in Africa, I would seriously cry like a little girl, and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
Whip scorpions are awesome. We have Wind scorpions (sunspiders) here in the PNW. When I was working grass harvest we use to find them in the wind rows. I still find them up at Beacon in the rocks from time to time:

Pound for pound this hairy, largely nocturnal arachnid has a much deadlier set of jaws (or chelicerae- the insect equivalent) than a great white shark. In fact this creature, also known as the sunspider or wind-scorpion, has the strongest jaws - relative to size -of any animal on earth. During the day they can often be found under a log or in a crack in the soil. Staying cool is their daytime task and hunting their nightime joy. This voracious carnivore uses those jaws to overcome everything from insects, birds and lizards to small mammals and even scorpions. Its long legs allow it to traverse its habitat at a very high rate of speed. And if food is available, a solifugid will keep eating until its abdomen is so distended that it's practically immobile. The sunspider appears to have ten legs, not eight. The thicker front pair are palps, not legs. She has long hairs all over her body that help her sense movement in her surroundings.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville